Search 69,459 Camino Questions

kitchen facilities

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Just wondering whether the kitchen facilities along this route are like the municipals in Galicia (ie lovely kitchens but no utensils) or do they generally have pots?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, kiwi-family,

The hospitaleros in both San Juan de Villapanada and Bodenaya cook a communal dinner, so no worries there. The albergue in Grandas de Salime is wonderfully well stocked. I was walking with a sous chef from a fancy San Francisco restaurant, and she whipped up a feast for 10 or more.

Lugo has nothing in its kitchen, but there's a grumpy imperious hospitalero there to cheer you up. As I recall there were a few things in the small municipal albergue in Berducedo. Fonsagrado and Cadavo Baleira also have equipped kitchens.

I didn't stay in POla de Allande last year, but when I was there in 2008, there was nothing in the kitchen but a broken plate or two. That may have changed. I didn't stay in San Roman de Retorta last year, but when I was there previously, the kitchen had cooking utensils. There are only 10-12 beds, but there is a private albergue right across the field.

I did stay in a few private albergues (Ponte Ferreira, Herminia's place in Campiello) and they of course don't have anything, though Ponte Ferreira did have plates and a microwave.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie - that's so helpful. If we were walking Leon to Santiago along the Frances I would definitely take a pot, but this section sounds like a different kettle of fish! Love those communal meals.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you stay at the private abergue 'O Candido', in San Roman de Retorta, you can book a meal too (before 18.30). The hospitalero brings it in from Lugo. Choice of number of courses and great choice within the courses too. Individual choices for a great commmunal style meal. Breakfast is included in the albergue charge.
I don't know if he would bring food out for the pilgrims in the public albergue, but you could phone (637 563 755) and ask before leaving Lugo. The food is from his own cafe/restaurant I think.

This is exactly the kind of information that is so useful when you are considering carrying food for five! Thanks.

Hi, kiwi-family,

I know you will be planning your stages carefully to keep the kms at a good level for the kids. So just in case you were planning on staying at the private albergue in Ponte Ferreira, you should know that the owners just sell micro-wavable food in a machine. It didn't look very appetizing, so if I were trying to feed a family, I'd bring food from the bar-store in San Roman.

The albergue is a very nice one except for that inconvenience. There is also a private casa rural that serves an evening meal to pilgrims but it was pretty expensive for what it was. I think it was 16 €.

Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Laurie - note made on my spreadsheet!

peregrina2000 said:
Fonsagrado and Cadavo Baleira also have equipped kitchens.

Buen camino, Laurie

Is that Fonsagrado the Xunta at Padron?

Tia Valeria said:
If you stay at the private abergue 'O Candido', in San Roman de Retorta, you can book a meal too (before 18.30). The hospitalero brings it in from Lugo. /quote]

Just checking...this is not say that you can't get food in San Roman, is it? (just that you can have a nice meal bought out if you like) And sorry about the double negatives!

Looking at Laurie's suggestion - food ought to be bought in San Roman for the next stage to avoid an overpriced or microwaved meal at Ferreira.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, mama Rachel,

Yes, the albergue I referred to as Fonsagrada is actually about a 20 minute walk beyond town (on the camino) in the adjacent hamlet of Padron. There is both an albergue there and an overflow space in the "Civil Protection" building. In the albergue itself, there is a fully stocked kitchen. The albergue used to be the priest's house, so there are a number of rooms with 4-6 beds. If it's cold and/or wet, check to see about heating -- some of the rooms have heaters, some don't. I learned that the hard way last summer as I walked in a day of constant rain. :)

I THINK that the bar in San Roman (which is actually about 500 m before the two albergues) sells minimal grocery supplies, like bread, cans of tuna, etc. Can anyone confirm that? It definitely did a few years ago, but last summer when I walked through, the bar had been much expanded and improved, so I don't know if they continue to sell supplies.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. and about the microwavable food -- I know the owners were getting a lot of grief about that, so maybe they will open up the kitchen and start cooking again. Presumably their prices would be more reasonable than those at the Casa Rural.

my records from Sept 2011 show:
- Vega (before Oviedo) unstaffed, no kitchen but good meals available across the road all day
- Oviedo albergue: big kitchen
- Villapanada - good kitchen, but hospitalero although very helpful wasn't providing meals.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_ ... 8087145851
No shops nearby so we were glad to have hauled what we needed up from Grado where camino passes through shopping area
- Bodenaya; Alejandro and team cooked for everyone
- Campiello Casa Herminia: no kitchen, food provided, a bit average, but great atmosphere sitting in what is simultaneously the village shop and bar with allsorts coming and going.
- Mesa: unstaffed albergue with kitchen with all the necessary bits. But I think we carried all the food from Campiello across hospitales. (There was a small shop/bar in Berducedo before then which I think may have basic ingredients..?). The place was full and all the hot water ran out about 7pm then all water had gone an hour later.
- Castro: no communal kitchen. We enjoyed the meal provided
- Padron; yes good kitchen and it's not too far to walk back into town to get anything you may not have picked up on the way through. We had lunch there
as well as our evening meal. NB there was only a small supply of alcoholic beer in the dispensing machine and we'd disposed of it all before the others arrived, who had to survive on the non-alcoholic variety or walk back into town (which many of course did)
Cadavo: classic Galicia with modern kitchen but very little to cook with as I recall - possibly they had microwaveable meals from a dispensing machine?
Lugo: didn't visit the kitchen as we all went to the traditional Pulperia in the yard nearby - fantastic wild mushrooms
Ponte Ferreira: when we were there the hospitalero boiled up our chestnuts for us which we'd gathered nearby and served them with white wine.
He also cooked us a pretty good meal which we ate in the lovely restored barn. It's a shame if he's not cooking anymore. If you plan to stay there, might be worth an enquiring phone call beforehand to see if he'll cook something up which will give him time to source ingredients etc - because he can definitely cook.
cheers, tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back