Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Las Medulas WiFi during breakfast break

sun is shining

Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts:

We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom meeting on Friday morning and I’d appreciate any hints where we might set up shop for that.

Planning-wise we’ll spend tomorrow night in the albergue in Villavieja and walk on Friday to Casa Rosa in PDF. So I see two options that might work:

- try to stay until 11am in the albergue in Villavieja (if they don’t make us leave, we are happy to pay for a second night to stay longer if needed)
- walk early to Las Medulas, set up somewhere for breakfast and do the meeting there from 10am - 11am

I’d much prefer the second option because Friday looks to be a hot day and I’d like to cover some ground while it’s still pleasant outside. Do any of you have any advice on places in Las Medulas that might be open for walk-in breakfast (I think the Agoga only caters to people that stay there?) on a weekday?

Any pointers are much appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The guide on this forum says:

Las Médulas has two tourist information centers (one at the entrance to the village on the right, and another in the village itself, close to the church), accommodation, cash machine, bars, grocery store at lavadero, and restaurants targeting weekenders hiking the many trails around the area.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-guides/places/spain/camino-de-invierno/las-medulas/

I don't think there'll be a problem finding wi-fi, but it may be difficult to find somewhere quiet for a meeting.

Either should work.

The Albergue at Villavieja has WiFi and a 'desk' on the upper landing.
Not sure the speed is that great.
If you have your own connection, as via a phone, you may find reception patchy as there are mountains all around. I had patch email trying to get the door code.
The Albergue is not staffed. So I'm sure no one will mind if you leave late.

Las Medulas, not so sure.
If you have your own connection it should be fine.
I didn't use any of the cafes there so not sure if they have WiFi.
Also check opening times. None were open early enough for breakfast last year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The albergue in Villavieja is unstaffed, so hanging around for a couple of hours might be an option and there is good wifi (when you phone the ayuntamiento for the door code, you could ask if it's ok to leave late and use the early morning to go for a ramble up around the castle if you don't get to do it tomorrow.

The Agoga place is a lovely spot for breakfast, I've stopped there twice. It might be a bit noisy inside if it's busy, but you can sit outside, its very pleasant, though I don't remember anything about WiFi there.

There is another place as you enter Las Medulas on the left but I found it busy, noisy and the staff rude, if not bordering on hostile. Though I might have caught them on a bad day of course!

If it's a very important call, I would look at the first option, in Villavieja.. Check out and leave the place clean at 8am, return briefly later to do your call, but do ask first!

Thanks all for your insights. The weekday plus early combination has me worried about las Medulas so it will probably be a late start for day 2.

At the airport now - cannot wait to get back to the Camino after the long Covid break.

The Hotel Rural Agoga, which also has a large restaurant, does definitely have wifi. And it is open every day. It has a pleasant outdoor seating area as well as a large indoor room. The people are very pilgrim-friendly (I’ve stayed there two or three times) and I would be stunned if they wouldn’t let your husband log on. The place does a huge lunch traffic (tour buses) but that will not be an issue at 10 am. I would send them a message via whatsApp to ask the question, including time and day, etc., so you would have a clear answer.

Their number (and they use WhatsApp) is +34 699 72 24 88

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope you have better luck in Las Medulas than we did.

We stayed the night of Tuesday 3 October, and next morning, early, we climbed up to the caves.

Back down in the village, at about 11am, we went looking for breakfast, coffee, brunch, ANYTHING.

Everywhere was closed, all four cafes/restaurants, the hotel (where we’d had an excellent menu del dia the day before), even the tourist office was closed.

We walked the length and breadth of the place, searching, and asking any local person we saw.

The ONLY place open was the little souvenir shop, which sold a few soft drinks, fancy artisan very expensive biscuits and a few snack bars.

Well, thank goodness for that, as at least we had something to eat and drink before we retrieved our packs and set off for the day’s walk.

I've walked through in October twice and the Agoga restaurant was open both times. The first time was at about 10am, It's not right in the village, but on the way out. Did you try that place?

We have had this discussion many times on the forum, but it’s always good to remind people. People have had wildly varying experiences with finding places to eat and stay in Las Médulas. If it’s not tourist season, many things will not be open. There is no real town here, just a place that services visitors to the site.

The one place that I know you can count on, 7 days a week, is the place Flog and I havve mentioned. Casa Rural Agoga. They also have a floor with very nice rooms “with a view”. The family lives on the floor below these rooms.

The Agoga is right on the camino, but it’s on the way out of town, so many probably don’t continue on to find it when they are searching for food or lodging.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Hotel Rural Agoga, which also has a large restaurant, does definitely have wifi. And it is open every day. It has a pleasant outdoor seating area as well as a large indoor room. The people are very pilgrim-friendly (I’ve stayed there two or three times) and I would be stunned if they wouldn’t let your husband log on. The place does a huge lunch traffic (tour buses) but that will not be an issue at 10 am. I would send them a message via whatsApp to ask the question, including time and day, etc., so you would have a clear answer.

Their number (and they use WhatsApp) is +34 699 72 24 88
Thank you! This worked and we are set up for breakfast / online meeting tomorrow morning.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back