• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Levante in September.

Lindsay53

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
I have been making my plans to start the Levante in Valencia on 01 September ,all being well. All I have read points to an isolated experience where a reasonable command of Spanish is an asset. The isolation won't be an issue for me, however the reasonable command of Spanish.... well, we will see if 250 days of Duolingo will have been worth it once on the ground.... Hoping to make Zamora in 30 days, then up the Via to Astorga, along the Frances to Ponferrada, then the Invierno to A Laxe and the Sanabres to Santiago. A bit ambitious possibly but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Share your experiences here while you walk, and you will not be lonely. Have a great camino!

(Take time to look at the train station in Valencia.)

Hi, have walked the Levante last April/May, started from Valencia. Skipped the first stages and started the Levante actually in Xativa (easily accessable by train). A quite lonely experience in first two weeks, hereafter some French pilgrims. Have no knowledge of the Spanish language, but with Google Translate you are able to communicate what is required at that moment. Do visit the Amigos del Camino de Santiago association (C/ Jerónimo Muñoz, 32 Bajo. 46007 Valencia) to get the Levante credencial and information you need. They have also a website (Spanish/English) and an extensive lodge listing (pdf) along the way. Lot of castles and interesting places to stay and walk around.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have been making my plans to start the Levante in Valencia on 01 September ,all being well. All I have read points to an isolated experience where a reasonable command of Spanish is an asset. The isolation won't be an issue for me, however the reasonable command of Spanish.... well, we will see if 250 days of Duolingo will have been worth it once on the ground.... Hoping to make Zamora in 30 days, then up the Via to Astorga, along the Frances to Ponferrada, then the Invierno to A Laxe and the Sanabres to Santiago. A bit ambitious possibly but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Hi Lindsay, I will be very interested in your forward planning. While my wife and I are off to Lisbon this Aug/Sep, I'm already developing a walk for '25...focusing on the Camino del Sureste...out of Alicante. I'd be interested in whether you looked at the Sureste, and why you opted for the Levante (looks like both paths pretty much join in Albacete). I'm wondering if the decision between these two paths is as simple as a 'pilgrims' decision to either visit...then walk... out of Valencia or Alicante.
Good luck with the planning, and I'm sure your time on Duolingo will not be wasted! Cheers.

Hi Lindsay, I will be very interested in your forward planning. While my wife and I are off to Lisbon this Aug/Sep, I'm already developing a walk for '25...focusing on the Camino del Sureste...out of Alicante. I'd be interested in whether you looked at the Sureste, and why you opted for the Levante (looks like both paths pretty much join in Albacete). I'm wondering if the decision between these two paths is as simple as a 'pilgrims' decision to either visit...then walk... out of Valencia or Alicante.
Good luck with the planning, and I'm sure your time on Duolingo will not be wasted! Cheers.
They only have a few opening hours (Tuesdays and Fridays 11 to 13.00) but they are very helpful

Hi Kev&Kath. I am a non planner in most respects. My forward planning has consisted of working out a rough schedule and planning my departure and return flights around that. I work on an average of 25k per day when planning the time I will need. I have also looked at the forum and other sites for an idea of what lies ahead. When my flights are confirmed I will book accommodation at the start and finish based around those dates, and I will take each day between as it comes.
I did consider the Sureste initially but decided on the Levante based on information I received from forum members. Enjoy your Portuguese Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, have walked the Levante last April/May, started from Valencia. Skipped the first stages and started the Levante actually in Xativa (easily accessable by train). A quite lonely experience in first two weeks, hereafter some French pilgrims. Have no knowledge of the Spanish language, but with Google Translate you are able to communicate what is required at that moment. Do visit the Amigos del Camino de Santiago association (C/ Jerónimo Muñoz, 32 Bajo. 46007 Valencia) to get the Levante credencial and information you need. They have also a website (Spanish/English) and an extensive lodge listing (pdf) along the way. Lot of castles and interesting places to stay and walk around.
Thanks JWB. I have seen the Amigos website and will look them up when I arrive.

Hi Kev&Kath. I am a non planner in most respects. My forward planning has consisted of working out a rough schedule and planning my departure and return flights around that. I work on an average of 25k per day when planning the time I will need. I have also looked at the forum and other sites for an idea of what lies ahead. When my flights are confirmed I will book accommodation at the start and finish based around those dates, and I will take each day between as it comes.
I did consider the Sureste initially but decided on the Levante based on information I received from forum members. Enjoy your Portuguese Camino!
Thanks Lindsay...most helpful. I'm probably the exact opposite. Unfortunately, not a 'free spirit' and would go absolutely crazy if I didn't know where I would be laying my head at night! Will certainly keep an eye on this forum as the months move forward. Very much appreciate your response Lindsay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back