Long live the traditional Spanish shops

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.

I guess everyone who walked through Rua do Vilar in Santiago de Compostela recognises this shop for sewing products and yarn.
Authenticity, personal service and high quality.
Far away from the anonymous and unpersonal online shopping nowadays.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
There is a shop on c.Atocha in Madrid which sells scissors, and has hundreds displayed. (And the occasional knife), it must be a family business as there is no way it can be worthwhile otherwise - but only airline regulations stop me buying a pair for every conceivable purpose every time I pass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
There is a shop on c.Atocha in Madrid which sells scissors, and has hundreds displayed. (And the occasional knife), it must be a family business as there is no way it can be worthwhile otherwise - but only airline regulations stop me buying a pair for every conceivable purpose every time I pass.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Not a cute little store like the mercerías, but a beautiful example of another dying breed - the fabric store. Anyone who sews or does fabric art will enjoy visiting Tejidos Julián Lopez in Madrid.

Attachments

• 20230613_113235.jpg
    20230613_113235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230613_114727.jpg
    20230613_114727.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
I absolutely love my little merceria in Alicante, in the same street where I live. They have everything you could possibly want. It takes a long time to get served because everyone chats, at length. Bliss. There's also a wonderful shop that sells fabrics, I'll take photos next time I'm there.
Here in my town in England I have to buy on the internet as none of those shops remain, even the market has gone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

witsendwv

Apr 7, 2015
(2015)
Not a cute little store like the mercerías, but a beautiful example of another dying breed - the fabric store. Anyone who sews or does fabric art will enjoy visiting Tejidos Julián Lopez in Madrid.
I know this store well- have purchased many a meter of fabric when we have stayed in Madrid. Love the street sweep statue in the plaza nearby.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jan 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
And these two wonderful shops and people in Castrojeriz! Always special to stop in here and say hi and always relieved they are still there!

"Since he was 15, Amancio has been spending hours and hours in his bazaar, which is why he stands as one of the best witnesses of the Camino de Santiago and its evolution over time."

• Love
Reactions: SabsP

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.