• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miam miam dodo necessary?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why.

So far I have been making use of the excellent spreadsheet of gites that David has created and have my first 7 days booked. Planning on relying on Mapy.Cz for navigation and it seems like Google Maps has most gites (and everything else).

So, as a non French speaker, what am I missing? Any reason I can't just continue on as I have been?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the only thing you might be missing is nuanced French, which can be delightful. Personally, I love MMDDs! Alas, I've not used one on a chemin / camino. Just enjoyed the reading and dreaming experiences.

Hi it is helpful. I did the whole via podiensis without it. Gronze was enough and in every gite there was a copy I would browse for the next stretch. Planning the next stop or two was enough. The hospitaleros (private) are veey knowledgeable and helpful. I did not wanted the extra 200g 😀

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi it is helpful. I did the whole via podiensis without it. Gronze was enough and in every gite there was a copy I would browse for the next stretch. Planning the next stop or two was enough. The hospitaleros (private) are veey knowledgeable and helpful. I did not wanted the extra 200g 😀
Thanks. What did you actually use it to plan though? What did it offer that gronze didn't.

Thanks. What did you actually use it to plan though? What did it offer that gronze didn't.
I’m not much of a planner. The guide has a lot about sightseeing and very well made maps. It would make you feel safer. I prefer risk over the extra grams 😂😂😂

What did you actually use it to plan though? What did it offer that gronze didn't.
Some anecdotes and nice-to-know facts about the Chemin, but nothing critical.
I bring it for my first part of the Camino, but not now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used it mainly before I started. During the walk I did not use it at all, I gave them a

(Somethig went wrong) I gave them away. The markings are very good so for finding the route they were not necessary. ( in fact it sometimes it was difficult to locate on the map my actual position, because there are so many maps that cover only small sections) On Gronze I could find everything I needed

I love them and wouldn’t walk without MMDD on any route that has one. I do plan and book in advance and I do like to know details like what services are available on and close to the route. The extra weight carried is only the essential pages. For me, worth every gram…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked only a short section of the Le Puy Way, but I'd say that it's essential -- because unlike other routes in France (or in Spain), the guidebook outperforms the online resources for lodging info especially.

Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why.

So far I have been making use of the excellent spreadsheet of gites that David has created and have my first 7 days booked. Planning on relying on Mapy.Cz for navigation and it seems like Google Maps has most gites (and everything else).

So, as a non French speaker, what am I missing? Any reason I can't just continue on as I have been?

Thanks!
We made it without it this past fall but sure wished we had bought one in Le Puy because a few times we relied on it from fellow pilgrims. Very comprehensive guide.

You might want to consider the e-book version of the Maim Maim Dodo guide. They cost 12.99€ each.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks!
You should be fine esp. as you have accessed Dave Whitson’s excellent and comprehensive spreadsheet of accommodation and services [which I might add is updated almost every day so not a static file] ... that and Mapy.cz will see you through ... waymarking is generally excellent unless you walk with your eyes closed ... that said, some of the detail in the MMD guidebooks is helpful / useful including the accurate distances between villages, the colour-coded profile diagrams and contact details for services such as taxis, offices de tourisme and the like ...

Attachments

• IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6741.jpeg
    IMG_6741.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
MMD is generally more up-to-date than gronze which I note still lists some [but not many] accommodations that are no longer open ... ditto with some of the other apps where lodging information is out-of-date / inaccurate ...

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back