• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More RENFE routes opening up...

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline websites it kept saying "no availability" every day. Finally yesterday the date opened up...yay! We were able to book the first train of the day as a three hour non-stop. The later ones were eight hours long with two stops. We always use Trainline and the tickets were an additional $5/each, but it is a UK English website and always accepts my credit card, so I never mind paying for the convenience.

All this to say, if some of you are getting a little nervous waiting to book necessary trains, don't lose heart.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline websites it kept saying "no availability" every day. Finally yesterday the date opened up...yay! We were able to book the first train of the day as a three hour non-stop. The later ones were eight hours long with two stops. We always use Trainline and the tickets were an additional $5/each, but it is a UK English website and always accepts my credit card, so I never mind paying for the convenience.

All this to say, if some of you are getting a little nervous waiting to book necessary trains, don't lose heart.
You may pay via PayPal on the Renfe website. At least for US travelers. I had easy transactions for my April- May CF trip.

You may pay via PayPal on the Renfe website. At least for US travelers. I had easy transactions for my April- May CF trip.
I do not have a paypal account and do not plan to get one, nor do I speak Spanish. I know the Renfe site can be converted to English, and many on the forum use it and appreciate it.
I am a happy customer of Trainline for many years. Last year, they surprisingly/quickly "made right" in our communications in English, resolving a problem that was entirely my own error/fault. Kudos to them and no translation was needed in the process.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know some people use PayPal, but there is a charge to use it. I had an account and rarely if ever used it so I closed it. I also use Trainline although I usually also check Renfe on price (despite their rejection of my credit card). They show both bus and train connections on Trainline..

I was just on Trainline today looking for a ticket in June from Santiago to Madrid and it showed no availability. Thanks for the post. I already have some bus and train ticket booked on Trainline of May just need that last Train ticket in June. I don't mind paying a little extra as I don't have Pay Pal and my Trainline phone app keeps track of both my Train and Bus tickets.

I'm also looking for train tickets from Madrid to Sarria, then Santiago to Madrid for early June. I guess I'll need to wait for a couple of weeks before I can get those online. Just wondering if its possible to get ticket and a train seat on the spot?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm also looking for train tickets from Madrid to Sarria, then Santiago to Madrid for early June. I guess I'll need to wait for a couple of weeks before I can get those online. Just wondering if its possible to get ticket and a train seat on the spot?
We were given the choice to select seats, but there was an upcharge so we let them choose for us and they did put the two of us sitting together.

You can buy at the station. It is usually more expensive and you do run the risk of the train selling out. I have been posting that there will be some changes to schedules and fewer trains (same number of seats) this summer due to the ongoing construction at the Chamartin station.

I try to post any updates I see in the newspaper.
edit: One time we waited on tickets and had to delay to another time and then could not sit together. that was in the summer.

Yes, it is. Any station in Spain with a booking office can do that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I just checked Renfe website randomly and miraculously I was able to get my train tickets both ways. Booked for June!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back