• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Navigating the Camino Del Norte/Primitivo

Elphara

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte/ primitivo
Hello!

I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del Primitivo later on.

My question is this:

Is it good enough for navigation (I'm taking no paper maps and have no GPS) to use the Gronze Maps/ Buen camino App and Wise Pilgrim App + possibly my cicerone guide which has small printed maps?

Thanks for your help!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, that's how I did it last year. And it's not true that you have no gps. Gronze maps, Wise Pilgrim, and Buen Camino all use your phone's gps. Make sure that you download all of the content on the apps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello!

I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del Primitivo later on.

My question is this:

Is it good enough for navigation (I'm taking no paper maps and have no GPS) to use the Gronze Maps/ Buen camino App and Wise Pilgrim App + possibly my cicerone guide which has small printed maps?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, it's totally possible. I walked this same combo Camino in 2016, using only Dave Whitson's Cicerone guide as I knew nothing about any apps at that time. I did not really like his maps as well as the easy to read, juvenile looking Brierley maps, but Dave's content was excellent.

Last edited:
Yes, that's how I did it last year. And it's not true that you have no gps. Gronze maps, Wise Pilgrim, and Buen Camino all use your phone's gps. Make sure that you download all of the content on the apps.
ah yes, you are right about the GPS on the phone, I was somehow thinking of the professional GPS they use for trekking in the mountains and yes I will download all of the content, thanks for the reminder!

Yes, it's totally possible. I walked this same combo Camino in 2016, using only Dave Whitson's Cicerone guide as I knew nothing about any apps at that time. I did not really like his maps as well as the easy to read, juvenile looking Brierley maps, but Dave's content was excellent.
That's good to hear! I hesitate to take the Cicerone book guide because of the weight but I agree the book gives good information. I also quite like the idea of not using my phone/ apps too much, only if necessary. We have lost the skills of navigating life without a phone...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's good to hear! I hesitate to take the Cicerone book guide because of the weight but I agree the book gives good information. I also quite like the idea of not using my phone/ apps too much, only if necessary. We have lost the skills of navigating life without a phone...
I took the e-book version. No weight. The route was very well marked with yellow arrows, etc.

More recently, I now take screenshots of my guide books before I leave home and delete the pages as I go along...no weight involved.
(I found it is easier if I take the screenshots starting from the back of the guidebook to the front because then I do not need to scroll through them all to find the first page, etc.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Follow the official way marks where they exist.

I have seen peregrinos slavishly following the route given by their app, across a busy main road, rather than follow the directions of the official way mark, which pointed to a safe route underneath the road.

I would encourage you to use the mapy.cz app, which is an offline map that shows the Camino route along with every other hiking route in the area including the wonderful coastal variants.
I agree. I'm a big fan of mapy.cz, and used it on the Norte when I wanted to walk closer to the coast than the official Camino.

More recently, I now take screenshots of my guide books before I leave home and delete the pages as I go along...no weight involved.
(I found it is easier if I take the screenshots starting from the back of the guidebook to the front because then I do not need to scroll through them all to find the first page, etc.)
That sounds like a lot of work to take all those pictures but why not if it works for you...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree. I'm a big fan of mapy.cz, and used it on the Norte when I wanted to walk closer to the coast than the official Camino.
that's interesting to hear because I might want to do that as well, thanks for the link
I would encourage you to use the mapy.cz app, which is an offline map that shows the Camino route along with every other hiking route in the area including the wonderful coastal variants.
ok great, I will have a look as I might want to be nearer to the coast as much as possible. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.