• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to camino need help

Catht

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi there
I am planning on doing a week on the camino in July (I know it's not the best time I have no other option) for the first time. I'm not sure where to start. I am a fairly good walker and think I'll be aiming to walk approx. 20km a day. I'm not great on hills, the aul knees tend to argue. I'm planning on b&bs and hopefully getting my bags transported from place to place.
Can anyone recommend the best route? I feel I'd like to aim for Spain. I'll be travelling alone too.
With thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Catht. You have so much choice!!! I would suggest that you go for Spain and the main Camino, so I would recommend starting in Logrono, easy city to get to, and finishing in Burgos, another city with good rail and bus links. At 20km a day would be the right distance for you, and it is beautiful country - not madly hilly either. Or you could start in Burgos and walk on towards Leon, though you may have to bus your last day to get to Leon to stick to your time limits. Burgos-Leon is very easy terrain.

Oh, and you won't be walking alone!!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting in Roncevalles , and walking to Pamplona, and a bit beyond might be cooler that time of year. Stay in the Albergue in Roncevalles if you can. It is an experience. We have found good information on the bus service between towns on Booking.com. Many Europeans walk the camino for a week each year, completing the walk over the course of several years. You will have good company. I have found my knees do not hurt if I keep my pack light, and use my poles. Good luck, Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As Anniesantago is accurately pointing out more info from you would be best to assist you in deciding on what sections to walk.

In order to qualify for a compostela you must walk the last 100Km,which, on the Camino Frances (CF)means starting from Sarria. There are a few hills leaving Sarria on this route and one substantial downhill going into Portomarin. After that the hills are more rolling and not as sustained. There are lots of places to stay and shaded areas on some parts of this section of the CF.

July can be very hot. A lot of folks in very hot weather leave early in the morning to be able to tolerate the heat. Walking 20km in cool weather...verses 20km at 90 degrees Fahrenheit or more is something else? So this is also something to consider. I, personally, would not start in Burgos as you begin the Mesata in July. There is almost no Cover and less facilities to stop at.

Walking from Roncevalles to Pamplona has more shade but there is significant down hill sections that I would advise against on your first camino if you have knee issues.

In July, there is Transport on the entire route of the CF as well as the camino del Norte and from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.

Suggest you look at gronze.com This website has the various Camino routes in Spain. It lists the routes in sections with distance and gives you an idea of the various terrains. And it provides a listing for many places to stay.

Hope we hear from you again! Happy planning.

Last edited:
Hi there
I am planning on doing a week on the camino in July (I know it's not the best time I have no other option) for the first time. I'm not sure where to start. I am a fairly good walker and think I'll be aiming to walk approx. 20km a day. I'm not great on hills, the aul knees tend to argue. I'm planning on b&bs and hopefully getting my bags transported from place to place.
Can anyone recommend the best route? I feel I'd like to aim for Spain. I'll be travelling alone too.
With thanks in advance

Catht:

You did not mention how long you have to walk. That said, since you have a knee issue, I would recommend you start in Burgos (Camino Frances). This area of the Camino is the least hilly. It will allow you to get a Camino fitness level before you get to the next set of climbs. The Frances is one of the few Camino's where you can really manage the distance you walk each day.

You will definitely be able to have bag service on the CF. I am not sure about B&B's everyday but check out this website to see available accommodation. www.gronze.com

Ultreya,
Joe

@David has, I think, hit the right nail. When in Europe do as the Europeans do.

My suggestion is to start as far east in Spain as you can reasonably get to for a route that has good walker infrastrucure.
Then in a futue year come back to where you last finished and continue on.

In Spain nearly all routes have hill work.

I suggest your first foray be relatively short in distance. This would allow you to adjust to local ways.

In Spain the following fall into that pattern.

1) Roncesvalles (aka Orreaga) to Puenta la Reina (aka Gares)
About 70 km or about four days. Have a rest day in Pamplona and see the sights - a lovely new city with much built on old street patterns.

2) Puenta la Reina / Gares to either Logrono or Navarette
Either 70 km or 80 km.

3) Navarette to Burgos - 100 km

I can confirm from personal experience there is a very good local bus service along the route to Burgos. And coach from Madrid Airport to Logrono and Burgos, at least.

And so I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With regards to accommodations. best source for Private accommodations on the CF is booking.com. It offers, some tradional b&bs put mainly pensions with breakfast, hostels many with private rooms, rural villas and homes, and a variety of hotels ncluding Paradors. Most accommodations will allow you to cancel several days in advance for no charge but this varies so carefully read the details!

@Catht Just some more info for you.
A colleague and myself have planned to walk the Inglés starting from Ferrol in June 2019 .
We are going to walk 6 days (no more time to walk).
Splitting the first section in two: Ferroll - Neda 15km Neda - Pontedeume 16km.
We take the coast road, not the shortcut by the bridge (Ferrol - Neda).
That are 2 short sections to start with.
There are more stops possible between other stages.
They are described in Johnnie Walkers (Camino Pilgrim CSJ UK) ebook 2018/2019.
We have all stops pre-booked (booking.com) in single and double rooms for a good night rest. We both had lower back problems and wanted to travel with a light backpack.
No sleeping bag,...
It's only 6 days (2 briefs, 2 t-shirts- 2 pair of socks, 1 convertable pants, rain jacket or poncho, fleece vest or sweater + personal stuff) so very light travel.
You can deliver your extra baggage at Casa Ivar in Santiago or send it day by day.

What has already been said before, use walking poles, better for the knees ;)
The Inglés is a complete Camino.
But you have a lot of Caminos/stages to choose from :)
The last 100km will give the right for a Compostela if that is also the goal.
Buen Camino

For someone with knee problems and not looking for too steep of a path, walking from Roncesvalles isn't one I personally would recommend. That walk into Zubiri and the walk from there to Pamplona had some horribly difficult paths. Paths that were truly scary for me.

Consider walking from Tui on the Portuguese Camino. Not so steep, only 118km. Lots of accommodations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Regarding knee issues-- July is a ways off. Have you gone to a sports doctor about your knees? I had knee issues, but after physical therapy I haven't had a problem. It seems my femurs weren't setting into the knee joint at the correct angle because my core (hips and butt) muscles weren't strong enough to hold the femurs correctly. -- You may have a completely different situation with your knees, but it's worth checking out.

Thanks all I am only seeing this now. I have my Camino booked now. I'm doing the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago de compostela. I'm heading in July giving myself an extra day in Santiago before and after. I'm looking forward to it now. I've been doing a lot of walking already and the knee is holding up(torn meniscus) it's so exciting planning this trip.

Hi there
With thanks in advance
O Cebreiro - Santiago de Compostela if it's your first Camino. Booking ahead takes care of your bed and bag transport if easy. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€46,-
If you want to protect your knee shipping your bag and using a day pack is a really good idea. It costs about €3 a day, but if you don't want the hassle of organising each day you can pre-book the whole week for €20 with the Spanish postal service https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas

Fab thanks so much for all the help everyone is so good I really appreciate it. It will make my planning so much easier.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone! I also am wondering about four day routes the first few days of March. Don’t want any steep elevation gains in order to avoid possible snow during this time. Will in Madrid prior and had considered starting in Portomarin to Santiago, as it is the most traveled, but am open to any other routes. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back