• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie from Arkansas/California starting June 2011

justnikki13

Hi everyone, I am soon to embark on my first camino and first trip to Europe. I'll be traveling alone and I'm a bit nervous. Trying to prepare myself physically and spiritually and not stress too much. I would love to hear advice and experiences from fellow female pilgrims.
~Buen Camino Nikki

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the Forum! Don´t hesitate to ask any questions you might have - there will allways be some forum members to help you!
Tell us more about your plans - which camino are you taking - where are you going star from and where to - where are you flying tp - how long etc!

IMO I prefer to walk alone when in Spain - my experience comes from walking on the Frances and you are not really alone. There will be quite many pilgrims who walk the same pace than you and you ill meet them in the coffee bars and albergues daily.

Buen camino
annie

HI Annie!

I fly into Madrid June 15th, taxi to Atocha train station, shuttle to SJPD where I will stay at a hotel. Then off to Orisson next. I don't have any other accommodations booked, should i try to book the next nights accommodations in advance? Seems there is a large amount of pilgrims needing accommodations. Also, should i bring my phone from the states or try to get a phone while in spain? Or maybe just a calling card?? Or saw something about a SIM card? Maybe no phone at all?

I plan on walking to Santiago and possibly on to Finisterre. I saw someone mention a calendar of when other people will be starting their pilgrimage's where might i find that?

What was your packing list or at least the most important things to bring not bring. Did you ever feel unsafe?

Wow that was a lot!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also, should i bring my phone from the states or try to get a phone while in spain? Or maybe just a calling card?? Or saw something about a SIM card? Maybe no phone at all?
You will need an unlocked GSM phone to use a Spanish SIM chip. Your U.S. phone service may connect to a Spanish network, but it is likely to be very expensive. Check with your carrier. You can get an inexpensive phone in Spain, good for calling Spanish numbers but expensive for international calls, which may be your best option. There are rental phones available, but those businesses are failing because of the availability of cheap phones. Only you can decide if you want to be incommunicado along the way. I find myself quite capable of ignoring my phone. Others like to feel the bliss of being completely without technology!

This will be my first Camino, too. Starting on June 10 from Pamplona. I am also kinda nervous about the whole thing, but just going to take it one thing/step at a time!

Hi Nikki

I too am a newbie and leave in a week or so. I sent away for a SIM card before I left so that I could give family my phone number prior to leaving. I also felt it was one less thing I had to do once I arrived in Spain. My Spanish is very very limited and shopping for anything that requires conversation is a potential obstacle. I used http://ryanair.maxroam.com/Home.aspx?ln ... er=SIMCARD and it arrived in Australia within a few days. So long as you mostly send and receive just SMS it is very inexpensive. Calls within Spain were very cheap too but I cant quite remember the price off-hand. I originally found that website from a posting that Ivar had made. The one hitch...your phone must be unlocked.
Debbie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi again! Your trip to Spain seems wellorganized with bookings for the first two nights. Even if there would be large amounts of pilgrims on the camino you should be able to find a bed for the night and further bookings are not necessary. But be prepared to walk to the next village or maybe take a cap to a casa rural situated a few kms off the route sometimes if the albergues are completo. In any case there will not be as many pilgrims this year than last year being a Holy Year!

I prefer taking a cell phone with me and I am using the same one (with the same sim card) I use at home in Sweden. In Spain I used it frequently for text messages between me and other pilgrims and one or two phones call home occacionally. But you could order a Spanish Sim card if you have an unlocked cell phone.

The Pilgrim Calendar is on the Forum page all the way down on the right. I do not know if it works properly at the moment.
announcements-your-feedback/topic3571.html#p68416

This is my backing list (April):
*1 Arcterix technical T- shirt
*1 Icebreaker T- shirt
*lightweight towel
*lightweight shorts x2 Peak Performance
*long underwear for runners lightweight quick- dry Nike
*1 Silkbody long-sleeve very thin cardigan (good for the hot days as a sunscreen, too)
*1 Arcterix long- sleeve cardigan for travel
*hiking boots Keen Targhee mids
*old joggers for the evenings and alternative walking shoes
*flip- flops for the shower room
*guide book John Brierley
*a note book for my journals
*three pairs of hiking/running socks
*undies & bra x2
*bikini
*hair conditioner
*soap bar
*sun- screen
*deodorant
*mascara
*teeth brush and paste
*rain jacket and trousers BAD CHOICE
*sleeping bag 450 g( down) necessary in April
*bed bug sheet http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categor ... et-single/
*pain killers, antihistamin, Compeed, Resorb
*a very thin cotton summer dress
*cell phone, ipod and a camera
The weight of my Vaude Tour 40L was about 7 kg without water.

The list includes clothes I will was wearing. Everything except long- sleeve Arcterix cardigan and socks very thin and technical materials. When I washed them they were dry the same evening.The raincoat and trousers were a big failure - for me from now on ONLY ALTUS RAIN- COAT- PONCHO WITH KNEE LONG GAITERS. Nothing else works when it really rains all day cats and dogs!!!

I never felt unsafe not even the morning my purse was stolen out of my pocket. Everybody was so helpful and nice so I could figure out the sitution myself, called SOS Copenhagen, my bank, and the credit card company. I was mostly angry with myself, I should have been more careful! I am extremely aware of where I keep my valuables and they diappered anyway. But do not worry - spread out your money and cards in different pockets and places.

Mis etapas:
Day 1 Burgos - Hornillos April 8 20.5 km 8/4 2011 == Albergue Municipal
Day 2 Hornillos to Castrojeriz 21 km == Albergue Casa Nostra
Day 3 Castrojeriz to Fromista 25.5 km == Albergue Municipal
Day 4 Fromista to Carrion de las Condes 20.1 km == Hostal A Santiago
Day 5 Carrion de las Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza 17 km == Albergue Camino Real
Day 6 Calzadilla de la Cueza to Moratinos 12 km == Rebekah Scott
Day 7 Moratinos to El Burgo Ranero 27.6 km == Albergue Municipal
Day 8 El Burgo Ranero to Arcahueja 28.3 km== Albergue La Torre
Day 9 Arcahueja to Leon 8.4 km == Monasterio de las Benedictinas
Day 10 Leon to San martin 26.5 km== Albergue Vieira
Day 11 San Martin to Astorga 23.5 km == Albergue San Javier
Day 12 Astorga to Rabanal del Camino 21.4 km == Albergue El Gaucelmo
Day 13 Rabanal to Ponferrada 33.5 km == Refugio de Ponferrada
Day 14 Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo 23.7 km== Albergue Ave Fenix
Day 15Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro 30 km == Albergue de O Cebreiro
Day 16 O Cebreiro to Triacastela 20.7 km == Refugio del Oribio
Day 17 Triacastela to Sarria 25 km == Albergue Internacional
Day 18 Sarria to Portomarin 22.9 km == Albergue Ferrementeiro
Day 19 Portomarin to Palas del Rei 26.1 km== Albergue Buen Camino
Day 20 Palas del Rei to Arzua 28.4 km == Albergue Xunta
Day 21 Arzua to Villamayor 31 km == Casa de Amancio
Day 22 Villamayor to SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA 9 km 29/4 2011 == Pensio Rua del Vilar

Buen camino
annie

Thank you all so much. I feel much better just hearing from you all. I called and my cell phone from the states will work in Spain, but it is quite expensive so i will look in to the SIM card option because it seems the most affordable. I think having a phone will bring me piece of mind(and my family too) and if i decide it is a distraction i can always send it ahead by mail.

I feel much better just hearing from you all.

Almost finished deciding what to bring which brings a sense of accomplishment, but it's also like wow that all i'm taking. It feels so freeing to travel with so little. I'm trying to keep the weight under 15bs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm going on my first Camino with a friend starting June 4, and we also want to go on to Finisterre if possible. I'm from Arkansas/Washington and he's Arkansas/Louisiana!! Maybe we'll see each other along the way :)

Hi Nikki,
I have walked the Camino in 2006 and 2009.

Please don't be afraid to walk alone. Many MANY women (and men) walk alone. At the time of year you are going, you will be LUCKY if you even walk for 10 minutes without seeing another pilgrim, as I think the trails will be quite full!

Generally, within the first day you will meet people that you will walk with a few miles. Then one of you decides to walk faster or slower, and you walk alone for a while. Then maybe a day or two up the trail, you meet them again and have a beer, or a short walk with them, or run into them at the albergue. You'll see... it's a lot of fun to run into people you've walked with... like meeting up with old friends. There is a sort of brotherhood/sisterhood thing that happens along the way.

Regarding a phone, please consider NOT taking one? In an emergency there will always be someone close by with a phone you can borrow. And in all the larger cities, there are places where you can go and pay a small fee to call home. I did not carry a phone on any of my walks. There are also computers all along the way that you can use to keep in email contact with folks at home.

My packing list was quite different, and for July, you will need much less clothing. Here is what I took:

2 pair of lightweight quick-drying zip-off leg trekking pants
(wear one, carry one)
2 quick-dri short sleeve shirts
(wear one, carry one)
2 pair of wool socks and 2 pair of quick-drying liners
(wear one, carry one)
I wore New Balance trail shoes, not boots
1 pair lightweight Teva Sandals for evenings
Tilly Hat
Towel - My first Camino I bought a microfiber towel. The second time I carried an old threadbare bath towel, cut in half. The bath towel worked better and was no heavier.
1 pair of Cuddle Duds - long sleeve lightweight long underwear
I long sleeved fleece shirt
3 pair of panties (wear one)
2 sports bras (wear one)
*guide book John Brierley
*a tiny note book for my journals
1 Ligget's Shampoo Bar (for bathing and hair washing)
1 deodorant stone, broken in half
tooth brush and tiny paste
rain trousers which I LOVED on cold windy days
Altus rain poncho
Lightweight wind breaker/jacket (I only wore it twice)
Marmot Pounder Plus sleeping bag
small camera
3 sets of diaper pins or large safety pins for hanging your laundry (or one of those elastic rope clotheslines for traveling are awesome! You can get them in the Rick Steves travel store online)
A ziplock plastic bag for your money belt so you can take it with you into the shower!
MONEY BELT - put your passport, your credit card, and your cash in this and WEAR IT AT ALL TIMES. NEVER LEAVE IT IN A LOCKER OR IN YOUR BACKPACK.

My Acteryx backpack weighed 15 pounds loaded.
I originally took a sleeping pad, but dumped it early on.

I carried no first aid supplies. You can buy them in nearly every village and the albergues also stock them. I did buy and carry COMPEED, which I've only seen in Spain. It is a thick gel bandage you put on hot spots to prevent blisters. You put it on as soon as you feel you may be getting a blister and for me, it worked great. You do NOT peel it off ever, but let it fall off on its own. You leave it on in the shower.

It will be so hot that you will rarely need a jacket in July! Instead, you can layer in the morning, then peel off your outer layers as you warm up. In the evenings, I promise you will be too tired to go anywhere except for dinner and back to your bed.

Anything you decide you need, you can purchase in Spain. It will give you an excuse to go shopping! It's best to take LESS than more. Especially do not take expensive gear in case you decide it's too heavy to carry and need to ship it home or discard it. There are boxes in almost every albergue called FREE BOXES where you can pick up extra gear that other pilgrims have discarded. If you don't see one, ask.

If you are short funded, go to Goodwill in Arkansas. They have a section called ACTIVE WEAR and you can find all kinds of great clothing there for the Camino. Instead of paying $50 for a quick drying shirt, you can get one for $4.99 !!! Instead of paying $36 for zip off pants, you can get them for $7.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. You will be hand washing your clothing most of the time. When you get to SJPP, go to the hardware store at the end of town and buy a bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap. Cut it into about 3 or 4 pieces and carry one. Give the others away or leave them at the albergue in SJPP for other pilgrims to use. It is made for cold water hand washing and works GREAT. Take an extra ziplock bag to carry it in. I hung mine in a mesh bag from my pack to keep it dry. Do not worry about taking laundry soap otherwise. When you find a place with a washing machine, which is not often, the soap is generally included in the cost, which can run from 2 euros to 5 euros, depending on where you are. When you are hand washing your clothes, look for a little canister nearby that looks like a garbage can. It's a clothes spinner. You put your clothes in, close the lid, and it spins them almost dry. Neat little contraption! Never saw one until I walked the Camino! If your clothes are NOT dry in the morning (which probably will not happen in July) you can safety pin them to the outside of your pack and they'll dry while you walk.

Read these forums closely and you'll find a lot of great tips and photos! And please don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here because we love the Camino and love helping others have a wonderful walk! There are many varying opinions. In the end, you just have to go with your gut feeling and not worry. It'll be fine, no matter what you choose... really! lol

Good luck and have a wonderful Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.