• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbies from Northern California

TabyJ

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2013)
Hello from sunny California! My name is Jessica and I will be walking the Camino with my mom this summer at the end of August through September. We are planning on flying out of San Francisco Aug 26 and starting our walk Aug 29 Is that enough time to get acclimated to the time change, overcome any jet lag, get anything we may have forgotten, and enough time to get to Pomplona from Madrid. We will be starting from Pomplona and would like to arrive in Santiago no later than Sunday, Sept 29.

I just have a few questions in regards to getting started:
Would it be easier to just go directly to Pomplona after we land in Madrid and get settled there? Or should we settle in Madrid instead FIRST and then take the bus or train to Pomplona the next day before we begin our walk? We would like to spend a few days in Santiago and Madrid before going home.

Ivar-we plan to send our luggage to you at some point before we begin our walk. (Madrid/Pomplona)

My mom will celebrate her 70th b-day while on the Camino. It would make it even more special if she could experience the Botafumeiro.

Looking forward to the experience and the people. I appreciate all the useful information everyone shares.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I read recently that tbe botafumiero will be featured at Friday Pilgrims masses and Holy Days this year.

To confirm, yes the bottafumerio will fly at 7:30 pm on Friday nights.

My daughter (from Oakland, CA) and I (for my 60th, from Phoenix, AZ) walked together April/May 2012. We took the ALSA bus directly from the Madrid airport, terminal 4 into Pamplona. You can buy your bus ticket in the airport, then walk out front and get the bus for an easy 5 hour ride to Pamplona. Bus station is very near the Pension Sarasate where we spent our first night then began walking the next day. We took the bus a couple of other short stints along the Camino and finished in time to spend a couple of days in Santiago, overnighted in Finesterre, then once in Madrid spent 2 days sightseeing before heading back to the states. Can't wait to go again!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you leave SF on the 26th, it will be the 27th when you arrive in Madrid. Personally, I would leave directly for Pamplona and also add an additional transition day to your plan. Getting over jet lag is so variable from person to person and trip to trip. Being in Pamplona will give the two of you a chance to decide what is best for you; there's plenty to see there. Leaving from Pamplona, after passing Cizur Menor, your first day is going to include a long,steady uphill section followed by a quite a steep downhill. You'll enjoy it more if you're not in a daze.

Thank you all! Going directly to Pomplona after we arrive in Madrid!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.