?Non-Cliffy options for Camino Norte

Zunigandi

Jun 30, 2019
Boston, MA
Time of past OR future Camino
Doing Camino Norte this July - August (2019)- first time
Hi everyone,

I’m working on mapping my camino Norte trip but I’m struggling on how to ensure I’m not taking any of the high cliff areas that folks reference as intense. I’ll be solo and rather not get lost/fall on high altitudes. Blue route vs Red, right? Ah help please

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Texas Walker

Feb 9, 2015
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
Speaking as a really uncoordinated person, I didn't have any scary moments of the teetering-on-cliffs type on the Norte. Hard, difficult moments, yes. But there was always a foot or three where there was a cliff, that separated the path from the fall. And I used my sticks. I think the people that we read about, that have fallen with serious consequences, were probably walking in the dark. Many things are a lot different in the dark.
HTH
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

nickpellatt

Jul 10, 2019
Eastbourne
French 2015 Portuguese 2018 Norte May 2019 Finesterre and Muxia April 2019
Just follow the yellow arrow waymarkers, rather than using an app.

An app may direct you to different, alternative paths .... the waymarking will not. Ditto for a guidebook ... I used the Ciccerone Camino del Norte book, and whilst it wasnt perfect, it was fairly clear with routes. Dont blindly trust apps.

You really dont need to think too much about mapping a route out, taking each day as it comes and following the arrows is a far better choice than trying to overplan stages now using an app or other gadgets.

Reactions: Zunigandi and NYSE

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2016
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Following the fellow arrows wil keep you away from all cliffs I think. The red white arrows ( mostly the e9 route) are more beautiful, have less asphalt and are as far as I remember also not dangerous at all. In some threads in this forum you can find descriptions ove more dangerous trails, but they are I think more local trails that are sought out by more adventurous walkers. In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers

nickpellatt

Jul 10, 2019
Eastbourne
French 2015 Portuguese 2018 Norte May 2019 Finesterre and Muxia April 2019
In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers

This is the key advice really. This where the planning should be done, and is more frequently done.

Complicated routes or dangers of any sort would often be pointed out by a hospitalero. Fellow travellers have ideas and recommendations too. Weather, how strong you feel, and the friendships you make decide the route for the next day more often than not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Zunigandi

Jun 30, 2019
Boston, MA
Speaking as a really uncoordinated person, I didn't have any scary moments of the teetering-on-cliffs type on the Norte. Hard, difficult moments, yes. But there was always a foot or three where there was a cliff, that separated the path from the fall. And I used my sticks. I think the people that we read about, that have fallen with serious consequences, were probably walking in the dark. Many things are a lot different in the dark.
HTH
Buen camino
Thanks! I’m not world’s best with heights but glad to know there’s space for error- also not the most coordinated :)

Zunigandi

Jun 30, 2019
Boston, MA
This is the key advice really. This where the planning should be done, and is more frequently done.

Complicated routes or dangers of any sort would often be pointed out by a hospitalero. Fellow travellers have ideas and recommendations too. Weather, how strong you feel, and the friendships you make decide the route for the next day more often than not.
Thanks very much, I’ll def check with hospitalero

Zunigandi

Jun 30, 2019
Boston, MA
Following the fellow arrows wil keep you away from all cliffs I think. The red white arrows ( mostly the e9 route) are more beautiful, have less asphalt and are as far as I remember also not dangerous at all. In some threads in this forum you can find descriptions ove more dangerous trails, but they are I think more local trails that are sought out by more adventurous walkers. In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers
Very relieved to hear this, thank you! I'll plan for sure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.