• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

not many people know that.......

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
I was told recently, by a very experienced pilgrim, that most modern backpacks have a whistle secreted in the chest strap clasp. Having walked the Frances route last year with a separately purchased whistle attached very close to my chest strap, I thought I would go and check it out. Nope! - no whistle on my osprey pack. I mailed back to my informant and told him the result of my examination, whereupon he looked up the technical spec for my pack (osprey atmos 35L) and replied that, yes, it was included and he explained in words of few syllables exactly how I should identify it. Lo and behold, it was there all the time, masquerading as a clasp, when all along it was sneakily a whistle, that makes a good shrill call.

On reflection, maybe everyone except me was in on the secret.

And incidentally, having just checked out the phrase 'not many people know that' I was informed by google that Michael Caine never uttered those words: ‘I have never said “Not Many People Know That”,’ Caine, 78, wrote on ICorrect.com. ‘Peter Sellers said it when he impersonated my voice on his telephone answering machine. ‘His impersonation was “This is Michael Caine, Peter Sellers is out. Not many people know that.’’ He also repeated this on the Michael Parkinson show.’ The actor added: ‘I do not mind something clever being attributed to me but I do mind something stupid that I did not say or do.’

......and that's something else that I didn't know!

image.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me too! Just found mine. Surprise, surprise, who would have known! I used my Osprey on our last 2 Camino's in total ignorance! Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good one! Not on mine though. . Just checked my Deuter SL. 35l act lite. Also checked specs in case I was 'blind' but not in specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh WOW mine has one too (One Planet Mini Freddy). I'm so excited, heehee.

I bought a whistle to carry when I walked this winter and for some reason never checked it out until a few days before the end of the walk. The darn thing was useless, you'd hear the blinking of my eyelids before that useless thing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yup..that was one thing I did know about my pack. Glad too, cause I was also planning on buying another whistle. Lord knows if I could have handled those extra grams!!

I was told recently, by a very experienced pilgrim, that most modern backpacks have a whistle secreted in the chest strap clasp. Having walked the Frances route last year with a separately purchased whistle attached very close to my chest strap, I thought I would go and check it out. Nope! - no whistle on my osprey pack. I mailed back to my informant and told him the result of my examination, whereupon he looked up the technical spec for my pack (osprey atmos 35L) and replied that, yes, it was included and he explained in words of few syllables exactly how I should identify it. Lo and behold, it was there all the time, masquerading as a clasp, when all along it was sneakily a whistle, that makes a good shrill call.

And incidentally, having just checked out the phrase 'not many people know that' I was informed by google that Michael Caine never uttered those words: ‘I have never said “Not Many People Know That”,’ Caine, 78, wrote on ICorrect.com. ‘Peter Sellers said it when he impersonated my voice on his telephone answering machine. ‘His impersonation was “This is Michael Caine, Peter Sellers is out. Not many people know that.’’ He also repeated this on the Michael Parkinson show.’ The actor added: ‘I do not mind something clever being attributed to me but I do mind something stupid that I did not say or do.’

View attachment 9164

Think I’ll check out my Gregory! That is very clever!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having a whistle with you, when you're walking in the woods, or tracks that you don't know, it's very important. A whistle it's a way for you to warn everybody that it's passing by, that you are there, in case of some thing happen. "But I could shout/scream". You will likely lose your voice if you scream or shout for 2 hours in a row. A whistle requires no energy, compared with screaming, and it could be heard in some meters or even 1 or 2km (depending of the whistle, and the conditions).

I think that, this kind of whistle that it's delivered with backpacks it's good, but not so good has that. They usually delivery a very weak sound, and I've seen some of them break (since they are included on the strap). I usually advise people to buy a Fox 40 whistle http://www.fox40whistles.co.uk/Fox-40/Safety/Fox-40-Classic-FOX-CLASS

It's one of the best whistles in the world for outdoor activities, and it's so powerful, that it's even used by women has an anti-rape whistle.

Thanks Magwood. Just a couple of days I added a hardwood samba whistle from Brasil to my Osprey Atmos 50 backpack ,just in case...:D
So now I can leave this whistle at home because I found the Osprey whistle at our backpacks. One disadvantage. Now there will be no samba whistle sound at the camino Ingles next month:p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having a whistle with you, when you're walking in the woods, or tracks that you don't know, it's very important. A whistle it's a way for you to warn everybody that it's passing by, that you are there, in case of some thing happen. "But I could shout/scream". You will likely lose your voice if you scream or shout for 2 hours in a row. A whistle requires no energy, compared with screaming, and it could be heard in some meters or even 1 or 2km (depending of the whistle, and the conditions).

I think that, this kind of whistle that it's delivered with backpacks it's good, but not so good has that. They usually delivery a very weak sound, and I've seen some of them break (since they are included on the strap). I usually advise people to buy a Fox 40 whistle http://www.fox40whistles.co.uk/Fox-40/Safety/Fox-40-Classic-FOX-CLASS

It's one of the best whistles in the world for outdoor activities, and it's so powerful, that it's even used by women has an anti-rape whistle.
The Osprey whistle I tried out a moment ago is so loud and screaming that if , my good friend , you blow it in Castanheira do Ribatejo, all inhabitants of Lisbon think by hearing the sound that the dustman's truck is arriving to collect the garbage so they put the dustbin outside :)

Hmmm...I just checked my Gregory 30L and it has none!! :(
Thanks, Diogo92 - I will get one just in case I lose my way in the fog or fall down a ravine!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Osprey whistle I tried out a moment ago is so loud and screaming that if , my good friend , you blow it in Castanheira do Ribatejo, all inhabitants of Lisbon think by hearing the sound that the dustman's truck is arriving to collect the garbage so they put the dustbin outside :)

The trash cans in here are only collected at night. So no whistles :p

I will search for my FOX 40 to show it to you, when we meet each other ;)

The trash cans in here are only collected at night. So no whistles :p

I will search for my FOX 40 to show it to you, when we meet each other ;)
É optimo ! Than we play some whistle music together. :)
It is a change to allways playing jazzguitar and double bass :)
Still 13 days to wait before we will go to Spain. Backpacks and golfbags are packed.
coming week we load everything in our car and caravan and after Eastern off we go.
Looking forward to be on the camino again and after that visit your beautilful country again.
Vemos-nos !

Have a nice day
Um abraço disso margem do rio Maas

Just found the whistle on the sternum strap of my Vango sherpa backpack. Its true not many people know that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This post proves one thing: that I'm a material tec freak, and that I check everything on my packs XD

View attachment 9164

Thanks! Found them on my Aura 50 and Sirrus 26! Who would have guessed it?!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My 11 year old daughter just showed me that we have these whistles on our packs a couple of days ago. I had no idea!

View attachment 9164

If you contact Osprey, they will send you one for free. I somehow lost mine. They sent me a complete sternum strap assembly with whistle buckle, at no charge. Of course, it took some time to strong-arm the side fittings over the vertical sewn in "rails" that the sternum strap rides on.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

View attachment 9164

View attachment 9164
Oh my gosh. I had no idea, but it's on my osprey sirrus, too!

We had a funny lunch break on a bushwalk last year when someone mentioned that they liked the whistle built into the clasp of their new backpack. There were lots of envious looks and then checking of backpacks with great shouts of excitement when a whistle was exposed. A range of brands were found to have this inclusion.

How wonderful it is to feel such a childish excitement about such a simple thing. Long may it continue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, Magwood, thanks to your picture, I found the whistle on my Stratos 34. It is not very loud, but it is there. And I have used the backpack on serveral hiking trips without knowing. Wauw!

Ah tar. Now I would never had found it. It's a lousy whistle though - just tried it. I have the Osprey Kestrel 38 litre. I reckon I can whistle louder myself.

Feels like finding hidden treasure on my Talon 44! Many thanks Magwood.
I'm about to start from Burgos this coming Friday (18 April) picking up where I left off last September. Very excited now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My REI Flash 45 has one, too! I had no idea; thanks, Magwood.

Karl

Hey, so does my REI Flash 18 -- hmmm, I wonder if I can somehow move it from my Flash to my Gregory ~ ~ ~ :D

Good job, Magwood, thanks!!

Terry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How fantastic! Thank you for sharing this :) now I have found my whistle that came with my Osprey Sirrus 36L :cool:

Well, how about that! Just found mine. Will now ditch the spare I'm carrying. EVERY ONCE COUNTS!!

Well, thanks for all the input. It seems that I wasn't, after all, the only one not in on the secret!

I love the idea of a pilgrim whistling band. Perhaps we should start practising - I guess we could start with 'To Be a Pilgrim'. I'm sure there might be other suggestions.......

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just checked my MEC* brand pack and it has one too! It's an Easter surprise! (MEC= Mountain Equipment Co-op, a Canadian store similar to REI)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was surprised that people didn't know that.
If my daughter had not already pointed out to me that there was a whistle on another MEC pack I have, I doubt I would have known to look for one on my Osprey.

I really like your avatar :D Some giggles for the day :D:D

Last edited:

View attachment 9164
Magwood, I read this post a couple months ago, then looked for the whistle but couldn't find it. Then I took my packed backpack to work to share with my 10-year-old students and within a minute, one of them pointed out the whistle! : )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Magwood, I read this post a couple months ago, then looked for the whistle but couldn't find it. Then I took my packed backpack to work to share with my 10-year-old students and within a minute, one of them pointed out the whistle! : )
What do your students think of "Miss" walking so far?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

View attachment 9164
Even my little Osprey 11 has a whistle.

Well, thanks for all the input. It seems that I wasn't, after all, the only one not in on the secret!

I love the idea of a pilgrim whistling band. Perhaps we should start practising - I guess we could start with 'To Be a Pilgrim'. I'm sure there might be other suggestions.......

And the name of the band should be "The Pilgrim Whistle Blowers". And our motto "We expose everything".. eh, on second thoughts perhaps not!!

Thinking about a third camino, this time solo, and so reading through old threads for some wisdom ...
And after coming across this thread about the cool built-in whistle on some backpacks I am totally delighted to discover that mine also has ...! thanks for the info!! :)

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.