• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weights: I just measured it

Hi Alyssa,

Someone told me that "my stuff was my burden". I was a slow learner and didn't jettison my Tevas, an air mattress and a few other "necessities" until I reached Leon. That said, I would have been chilly in the albergues in a silk liner last June/July and am taking a light fleece blanket this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've gone back and forth about the sleeping gear, Trekster. Did you need something warm in all the albergues or would you have been able to use a blanket on top of your liner at most of them?

I had a silk liner and a sleeping bag last year and found the liner wasn't enough for me. I was happy to use my own sleeping bag as the blankets, when available, fell into the "yikes" category. There are others who are just fine using the albergue blankets. I think you will find there are many opinions on this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Today I learned my lesson...I should have payed closer attention to you veteran walkers and all your advice regarding ruthlessly paring down the pack weight.

I walked 19.3 kilometers with an elevation gain of 434.8 meters wearing a 6.4 kilo pack (inclusive of 3.5 liters of water - no refills along the route). By kilometer 11.27, I had decided to replace my 820-gram sleeping bag with a 170-gram silk liner and to eliminate a 297.67 gram long-sleeve shirt. By kilometer 14, the 552-gram Tevas as alternate hiking shoes/evening shoes were mentally tossed out the window in favor of a 302-gram pair of Croc-like shoes. Oh, and by the end of the trail, I'd decided to return the 46-liter, 1.5-kilo pack and keep the 36-liter, 1.27 kilo pack.

The thing is, carrying that weight was "do-able" but I realized I had no desire to "do" it.

Thank goodness it was a practice run. I'm a believer.

Beautifully put! You have made me laugh Alyssa.
To cheer you up, you won't need to carry that much water.
After many years I've come down in favour of a sleeping bag but the lightest one I can find that opens out flat. Currently I have a down filled sleeping bag liner which is adequate.

Beautifully put! You have made me laugh Alyssa.
To cheer you up, you won't need to carry that much water.
After many years I've come down in favour of a sleeping bag but the lightest one I can find that opens out flat. Currently I have a down filled sleeping bag liner which is adequate.
What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

I had a silk liner and a sleeping bag last year and found the liner wasn't enough for me. I was happy to use my own sleeping bag as the blankets, when available, fell into the "yikes" category. There are others who are just fine using the albergue blankets. I think you will find there are many opinions on this.
Yes, the opinions run the gamut! My impression is that more women than men tend to favor the sleeping bag, not surprising since bags are rated differently for men and women; REI mentions on their page about choosing a bag,
  • Gender: Women generally prefer a bit warmer bag than men, up to 8°F warmer per EN (European Norm) testing on backpacking bags.
(I've considered creating a poll about this.)

What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

Alyssa, I throw my cotton sarong on the bed. That gives me the option of sleeping inside the bag or under it, like a doona. Or if it's really hot I sleep on top of the bag and use the sarong as a top sheet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.