• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone connection on VDLP

Fred2a

Time of past OR future Camino
Port. Lisbon 21
Port. interior 22
VDLP 24
Hi,
The Via de la Plata is renowned for its long stretches between villages or cities.
I was wondering if mobile phones can get connection on those long stages or if you only get some when you approach civilisation.
Thank you !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked for two weeks on the VdlP and had no problems with connections at all, I'm with vodaphone but with another carrier it may be different. Having said all that further into the camino it might be different.

We walked the VdlP this past fall and had no problems on T-Mobile. But we weren't using our phones a whole lot between cities except for GPS.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked for two weeks on the VdlP and had no problems with connections at all, I'm with vodaphone but with another carrier it may be different. Having said all that further into the camino it might be different.
I had the same experience with Vodaphone - Sevilla to Santiago. For sure though, there are likely some 'dead' areas, especially in the mountains.

I had a couple of times with no network with Orange . This April I will try Vodaphone or would Movistar be better? I had arranged to be picked up after the Pico de Dueno by Carreras V11 Hostal. No network so no pick up.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
The Via de la Plata is renowned for its long stretches between villages or cities.
I was wondering if mobile phones can get connection on those long stages or if you only get some when you approach civilisation.
Thank you !!
My U.S. mobile carrier is AT&T. They have no direct service in Spain but for $10 per day they connect me through local carriers. I've not had any problems on my previous Caminos (Frances, Portugues, Ingles) so I don't anticipate any problem on the VdlP in April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My U.S. mobile carrier is AT&T. They have no direct service in Spain but for $10 per day they connect me through local carriers. I've not had any problems on my previous Caminos (Frances, Portugues, Ingles) so I don't anticipate any problem on the VdlP in April.
$10 a day sounds pretty expensive. I bought an Orange SIM on arrival for my last VdlP walk for 20 euro which gave me enough voice minutes, SMS messages and data for my entire walk.

The VdlP is a very different route from the Frances, Portugues or Ingles. More remote sections away from towns or larger villages. I know that I had a few dead spots without coverage in the mountain area near the Galician border. Possibly elsewhere too but I wasn't checking my phone coverage very much. I tend to leave the phone in airplane mode while not actively in use to save the battery.

$10 a day sounds pretty expensive. I bought an Orange SIM on arrival for my last VdlP walk for 20 euro which gave me enough voice minutes, SMS messages and data for my entire walk.

The VdlP is a very different route from the Frances, Portugues or Ingles. More remote sections away from towns or larger villages. I know that I had a few dead spots without coverage in the mountain area near the Galician border. Possibly elsewhere too but I wasn't checking my phone coverage very much. I tend to leave the phone in airplane mode while not actively in use to save the battery.
My U.S. AT&T 14 Pro iPhone doesn't have a physical SIM card. It uses eSIM. I don't know if I can use another carrier's services directly through my eSIM.

When I walked the VdlP/Sanabrés/Muxia, I used Movistar. I also used Movistar last year on the Mozárabe, San Salvador, and Primitivo. Last year, the cost was roughly 20 euros for 50gb of data and unlimited calls for a month and the coverage was solid throughout all the routes mentioned. Although wifi is sometimes available in the towns (not as common on less walked caminos), I typically use data between towns to follow Gronze Maps, for Whatsapp as necessary, and to check ahead for accommodations when walking. I can't imagine paying $10/day ($300/mo) when Spanish plans are so simple and inexpensive. It's just a matter of switching the SIM card. If the phone does not take a physical SIM card, there are eSIM options available.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recently walked Seville to Santiago (via Sanabres) and had no problems with reception via Orange. This said, I do not use the phone much, so it's possible there are patches with no coverage I am not aware of.

Have used both carriers on different caminos...both worked well. Suggest that shortly before you go you look online to see which has the better deal 'at the moment'.

I think there are probably areas without coverage. I sometime FaceTimed family while walking and lost connection.
Coming from Australia that is nothing new 😂😂 so I thought nothing of it.
But mostly there was connection. I used to stream music in the mornings and that was fine.
My audio books and other music was off line so all still available.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
Thank you !!
Hi Fred. Just returned from two weeks - Sevilla to Merida - and can advise good coverage with the 3 network. Same as the others I didn’t check every minute of the walk but no major dead spots.

USD 10 per day sounds outrageous to me!😀 Local sims would provide a more effective solution imho 🤷‍♂️ For the eSIM users, yes you can use multiple/additional eSIMs on most leading phones. Check or google for details but not difficult if I can do it!

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back