Pilgrimage ways outside Europe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Time of past OR future Camino
There are many pilgrimage routes in Asia, India and Indonesia. There are various "Sacred Ways" in South America. Some would argue that the Song-lines of Australia are pilgrimages but they serve(d) a different function. The concept of pilgrimage is tied quite tightly to organised religion. Destination and cause dependent on hierarchical / authoritative structures. The colonisers of the 'New" World left their pilgrimage destinations behind them.

Reactions: wayfarer
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

JudyInTexas

Big chairs are fun!
Jun 1, 2015
Fort Worth, Texas
September (2016)
www.trailjournals.com is a website where people doing long distance hikes can create a journal of their journey. There is a list of various walks around the world on the home page, top left corner. Under Camino de Santiago there are 8 active journals, a number of older ones, plus one for 2016.

Last edited:

timr

Mar 29, 2009
Liverpool, but also East Molesey & Co Wicklow
walkingtim.com
Several and counting...
I only know about this from the BBC World Service documentary. I heard it on the car radio (at 0300) as I was heading for the airport to go to Spain for Camino a few weeks ago!
It is the Caminho da fe in Brazil. I thought is was a nicely presented programme. He has a blog elsewthere of his Camino de Santiago de Compostela and many other walks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02yk8jb

Reactions: wayfarer
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hikoi

Jun 6, 2014
VdlP (2016)
Jesus Trail (Nazareth to Capernaum) 2016
Way of St Francis (Pietralunga to Assisi) 2016
Reactions: GettingThere

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
@mikevasey, Camino Salvado is one of several pilgrimage walks conducted in Australia. I say conducted because they are generally walked as an organised group at a specific time of the year, and their length varies from two or three days to about a week.

I don't have details with me right now, but when I get home at the end of the month, I should be able to provide more information if others haven't in the meantime.

Reactions: mikevasey
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Check this out--a wonderful pilgrimage in Japan:
http://www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/
And of course there is the 52 km pilgrimage around Mt Kailash in the Himalayas...you might scoff at the distance but getting there is a big challenge as is walking at that altitude (from about 4600 meters up).

LauraK

Feb 13, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
The Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail in Wakayama, Japan is recognized as the sister trail to the Camino de Santiago. Unesco recognizes these two routes as the pilgrimage of the rising and setting suns. The Japanese trail issues a dual pilgrimage certificate for walkers that have completed both pilgrimages. Stamps are obtained at the various shrines (combined Shinto and Buddhist). Beautiful trails with rural small towns and not crowded. Unlike the Shikokuenro 88 temples trail which generally takes about two months, the Kumano Kodo has many shorter trails that can be done in a week or two. Highly recommended.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A

Anemone del Camino

In Aus there is this www.pilgrimtrail.com.au/
I seem to remember a Canadian pilgrim talking about a walk in Quebec, maybe ask the question on North American threads.
Yes, there are a number of Caminos being developped in Quebec, but more as long walks, with no religious or spiritual meaning. There are also those who travel to Sainte-Anne de Beaupré basilica, near Quebec City, as a pilgrimage, but it certainly has nothing to do with walking.

Reactions: MaryLynn
M

mikevasey

When I was on the Primitivo last year I walked off and on with a girl from Quebec, she talked about a way that was used as Chemin de St Jacques, but it was long day and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have so really can't give specifics.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Aussie Peregrino

Feb 21, 2011
Darwin, Australia
Camino del Norte, Irùn-Fisterre (2010)
Chemin du Mont Saint-Michel, Argentan-MSM (2013)
As already mentioned, the Camino Salvado from Perth to New Norcia is in Western Australia. It is historically linked to a catholic mission to indigenous people. It's been developed really well and (I believe) is no longer only open to booked groups.

There's also the Bundian Way in New South Wales.

Reactions: Barbara06
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Hello,

Does anybody know if there are any Pilgrimage ways in places such as America, Australia, New-Zealand,.... ?

Thanks
How about a short one in Israel? The Jesus Trail is a 65 km (40 mi) hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces the route Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The main part of the trail begins in Nazareth and passes through Tzippori, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mount of Beatitudes. An alternate return route passes by Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. Short but lots of action!
http://jesustrail.com/

camino0515-lt

Feb 21, 2015
ON, Canada
Francés 2015, VldP, 2019, Portugués, Finisterre 23

Barbara06

Mar 5, 2015
France
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
As already mentioned, the Camino Salvado from Perth to New Norcia is in Western Australia. It is historically linked to a catholic mission to indigenous people. It's been developed really well and (I believe) is no longer only open to booked groups.
There's also the Bundian Way in New South Wales.

Thanks "Aussi Peregrino" for your reply, do you know if there are places to sleep along these Austraian trails ? Or must the walkers carry a tent and all sleeping equipment ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Barbara06

Mar 5, 2015
France
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
How about a short one in Israel? The Jesus Trail is a 65 km (40 mi) hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces the route Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The main part of the trail begins in Nazareth and passes through Tzippori, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mount of Beatitudes. An alternate return route passes by Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. Short but lots of action!
http://jesustrail.com/

Hi Scruffy1,
Have you waalked this Jesus Trail ? Are there places to sleep ?

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Will soon be walking the Aussie Camino from Portland, Victoria to Penola in Sth Australia. It is also called "The Mary MacKillop Way".The website is: www.aussiecamino.org
It has a guidebook which can be obtained from the Mary MacKillop centre. All information is on the website.
Sharon

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
May 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Will soon be walking the Aussie Camino from Portland, Victoria to Penola in Sth Australia. It is also called "The Mary MacKillop Way".The website is: www.aussiecamino.org
It has a guidebook which can be obtained from the Mary MacKillop centre. All information is on the website.
Sharon
Buen Camino Sharon
When will you walk? Take care
Annie

Reactions: sharon w
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

SaraB

Jan 4, 2016
Camino Portugues (April 2016)
Camino Ingles (April 2017)
The Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail in Wakayama, Japan is recognized as the sister trail to the Camino de Santiago. Unesco recognizes these two routes as the pilgrimage of the rising and setting suns. The Japanese trail issues a dual pilgrimage certificate for walkers that have completed both pilgrimages. Stamps are obtained at the various shrines (combined Shinto and Buddhist). Beautiful trails with rural small towns and not crowded. Unlike the Shikokuenro 88 temples trail which generally takes about two months, the Kumano Kodo has many shorter trails that can be done in a week or two. Highly recommended.
Thanks Laura! This is now on my bucket list. :)

Barbara06

Mar 5, 2015
France
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Sharon
Hello Sharon, how long is this trail and how many days do you plan to walk ?
Have a good time !!

Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Reactions: Barbara06
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Buen Camino Sharon
When will you walk? Take care
Annie
Hi Annie,
We are starting on 2nd April. Hopefully, the weather should be beautiful and not hot. Heard there are snakes on this route so I'm hoping they will be hibernating!

Reactions: OzAnnie

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Hello Sharon, how long is this trail and how many days do you plan to walk ?
Have a good time !!
Hi Barbara,
The trail can be walked in about 8 to 12 days. It is 230km long. We are planning to take 9 days which means that some days will be long. The first day can be either 20 or 35 km depending where you start. At present there is a day without accommodation unless people walk 40 km. So we are going to have a backup vehicle. There are campsites but we don't want to take tents. We are going to stay in country pubs along the way
Sharon

Reactions: OzAnnie

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
May 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi Annie,
We are starting on 2nd April. Hopefully, the weather should be beautiful and not hot. Heard there are snakes on this route so I'm hoping they will be hibernating!
Sharon
Currently doing this walk is Angeka Finnegan who is from this forum and also a member of sydney pilgrim group /.angela is painting a good picture of their progress to date. They have crossed over into Sth Australia and have walked on some beautiful southern beaches.
Buen Camino.
Annie

sharon w

Jan 2, 2009
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Sharon
Currently doing this walk is Angeka Finnegan who is from this forum and also a member of sydney pilgrim group /.angela is painting a good picture of their progress to date. They have crossed over into Sth Australia and have walked on some beautiful southern beaches.
Buen Camino.
Annie
Thanks Annie. Everyone that I have spoken to who has done this walk have said how beautiful it is. We are hoping to walk the whole way but will need the backup vehicle to pick us up and drop us off at the same place the next day. Otherwise there would be 2 days of camping. This is in the area from Cape Bridgewater Lakes to Nelson.
Regards
Sharon

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides