• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pork in Spain

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it.

This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to be cooked to well done.

This is a leftover in the United States from our parents’ and grandparents’ days when trichinosis was rampant. That is no longer the case.

In addition, the pork you are served in Spain is not the common corn-fed feedlot pork of the USA. It is often free range and fed on acorns which makes the meat particularly sweet.

Here is a little article that explains. The video is also also good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it

This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to be cooked to well done.

This is a leftover in the United States from our parents and grandparents days when trichinosis was rampant That is no longer the case. in addition, the pork you served in Spain is not the common corn fed pork of the USA Here is a little article that explains. The video is also also good.

Iberico pork is different to the majority of intensively farmed pork I think (Black pig?), it will very often be free-range and fed a high quality diet unlike it's less fortunate intensively reared relatives which do not see the light of day.

As to what potential problems there are if normal farmed pork is not sufficiently well cooked I'd imagine it is small - but I always tend to avoid intensively farmed meats where possible, and if I do eat it then it tends to only be chorizo and ham if nothing else is available.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In addition, the pork you are served in Spain is not the common corn-fed feedlot pork of the USA. It is often free range and fed on acorns which makes the meat particularly sweet.

Is that the case in places catering to budget travellers trying get meals out at fixed prices, I always thought that somewhere in Spain there would be huge air conditioned sheds mass producing pork for the catering trade and supermarkets.
I suspect to be eating free range acorn fed you need to be eating a bit higher end than many Caminoites

I always thought that somewhere in Spain there would be huge air conditioned sheds mass producing pork for the catering trade and supermarkets.
Spain is one of the biggest producers of such pork in the EU now, much to the detriment of not only the welfare of the animals but also the local communities due to pollution, noise and smell. But we humans do love our cheap meat.

I fear that the (few) pork solomillos I ate along the Camino Francés came from pigs who never saw an acorn in their lives and maybe not even direct sunlight. I discovered a dish of pork cheeks, however, in Belorado (I think) that was delicious. Well cooked, obviously (it is a traditional rural dish that has to cook for several hours).

From the net:

Pig production in Spain is clearly differentiated in two areas, that of white pigs, based on intensive production aimed at producing as much meat as possible at an affordable price, and that of the different breeds of Iberian pigs, in general rather less intensive, and aimed at producing high quality products with high added value (mainly Iberian ham of different categories).
The production of white pigs is the majority in Spain, accounting for 90% of national production, while that of Iberian pigs is equivalent to approximately 10% of total national pig production in terms of number of animals.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
However, whether capa blanca or Iberico, the danger of trichinella and of getting sick with trichinosis is no longer what it used to be and pork may be eaten while still pink. At least in the USA and in Europe including in Spain.

PS: Hm, now I wish I had not googled "hepatitis E" and raw or not sufficiently cooked pork ...

This is a leftover in the United States from our parents’ and grandparents’ days when trichinosis was rampant. That is no longer the case.

we eat a lot of pork in Spain. a lot.

if it's cured (ham, chorizo, etc.), no problemos, it's meant to be eaten 'raw'.

if it's not cured (chops, sirloin, ribs, chorizo, etc.), then it's cooked, usually well, but not always, such as with the sirloin. this will depend on your comfort level with less cooked meat and no one will take offence if you send it back to cook more.

you will sadly not see many pigs in spain. most are kept indoors until slaughtered. the lucky ones are a handful that feed on acorns, worms and anything they can find, are free range, and provide meat for the more expensive cured ham. but only the more expensive stuff. thankfully, the cheaper stuff is also tasty and what you will find at most breakfast spreads, or tapas/pintxos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I fear that the (few) pork solomillos I ate along the Camino Francés came from pigs who never saw an acorn in their lives and maybe not even direct sunlight. I discovered a dish of pork cheeks, however, in Belorado (I think) that was delicious. Well cooked, obviously (it is a traditional rural dish that has to cook for several hours).

From the net:

Pig production in Spain is clearly differentiated in two areas, that of white pigs, based on intensive production aimed at producing as much meat as possible at an affordable price, and that of the different breeds of Iberian pigs, in general rather less intensive, and aimed at producing high quality products with high added value (mainly Iberian ham of different categories).
The production of white pigs is the majority in Spain, accounting for 90% of national production, while that of Iberian pigs is equivalent to approximately 10% of total national pig production in terms of number of animals.
Thanks for the figures. I was just estimating that in all my time walking in Spain, the number of days I saw pigs "out in nature" could be counted on the fingers of one hand. They number of days I did NOT see, and usually smell, an industrial piggery could probably be counted on the fingers of two hands. There are an enormous number of them. They seemed particularly common along the Camino Ignaciano, from Logroño onwards. Obviously an important part of the economy.

I became slightly interested in them! The older ones, often now abandoned looked pretty basic. The newest ones look very sophisticated, sparkly clean, and are clearly highly automated.

It is a simple fact - if people want to eat a lot of pork products, it has to come from somewhere.

Thanks for the figures. I was just estimating that in all my time walking in Spain, the number of days I saw pigs "out in nature" could be counted on the fingers of one hand. They number of days I did NOT see, and usually smell, an industrial piggery could probably be counted on the fingers of two hands. There are an enormous number of them. They seemed particularly common along the Camino Ignaciano, from Logroño onwards. Obviously an important part of the economy.

I became slightly interested in them! The older ones, often now abandoned looked pretty basic. The newest ones look very sophisticated, sparkly clean, and are clearly highly automated.

It is a simple fact - if people want to eat a lot of pork products, it has to come from somewhere.
As I said I got interested, though the industrial agri sector is far away from any of my areas of expertise!
This enormous building outside Fraga, looking rather 'space age', evidently turns out 110 tonnes per hour of feed for industrial piggeries. Not acorns.....🐷:-(

Attachments

• ssIMG_3169.jpg
    ssIMG_3169.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

I have to say I was completely unaware of this, I would have done exactly as your clients did. It's many years since I've worked in a restaurant however when I did had we served pork anything less than completely cooked we could have been served a warning from the health department. (Both in NZ and the UK).
I wonder if that too has changed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is that the case in places catering to budget travellers trying get meals out at fixed prices, I always thought that somewhere in Spain there would be huge air conditioned sheds mass producing pork for the catering trade and supermarkets.
I suspect to be eating free range acorn fed you need to be eating a bit higher end than many Caminoites
Whatever. We had delicious pork chops at the green corner in Leon. I wouldn’t call it particularly upscale.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The feed, quality of life for the animal and method of slaughter has a significant bearing on the taste and nutrition that goes on your plate. It’s why I find pork and poultry in Spain to be among the best in the world. Can’t say the same about beef. But these are personal preferences.

Eat more plants, eat less meat. I'm sure there is wonderful food in Spain, but I suspect most of the Spanish citizens I saw don't eat high end food on a daily basis. I saw few obese people in Spain. After a few too many queasy stomach post ingestion, I ate mostly apples, cheese, chocolate and chips in quantities sufficient to get by. I lost 15 pounds. It was wonderful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

At home in the UK I buy good quality Norfolk bred pork from a local butcher. I cook my pork for much less time than my mother would have done. Yes it is slightly pink and delicious! Spain is famous for lovely local pork

I had read about pork and beef "cheeks" on the forum this past year and how tender they were, so I was intrigued.
I recently had my opportunity to try the pork cheeks while walking the Camino Sanabres and they were moist, tender and delicious. I have never heard of them in the US and wonder what we do with them here...possibly dog food?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had read about pork and beef "cheeks" on the forum this past year and how tender they were, so I was intrigued.
I recently had my opportunity to try the pork cheeks while walking the Camino Sanabres and they were moist, tender and delicious. I have never heard of them in the US and wonder what we do with them here...possibly dog food?
I've seen both pork and beef cheeks on the menu in the US.

As someone who has spent time talking to God on the big white telephone I like my pork well done, if I got it pink it would be going back.
@wayfarer, I agree, although @Anniesantiago's research has me not fretting quite so much when my own pork roasts seem to need a bit more cooking after I cut deep into them. Even though I use a meat thermometer I sometimes zap a few questionable slices in the microwave to finish.

It’s interesting, the meat question, innit. Most will never have plucked and drawn a fowl, cached and skinned a rabbit or even scaled and gutted or filleted a fish. Fewer still will have shot the game or even caught the fish. Even fewer will have taken kine or swine to slaughter or checked the lamb for shoulder and loin fat before separating them out.

Yet many eat meat. Brought home, film wrapped on a convenient tray or served up, lightly scorched and with a few bits of plant stuff on the side.

@Anniesantiago ’s original post was interesting but it bridged a multi channeled river. Trichinosis was a significant issue but is now virtually eliminated. Iberian pork is a wonderful, high value, product. The lomo that comes with the soggy fries somewhere in the Menu Purgatorio isn’t from an acorn gobbling happy black pig who has just one nasty surprise in its otherwise pleasant life.

Life, and Camino, should be a continuous learning experience. As the wonderful Isabella Beaton put it: “first cache your rabbit”.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IMG_1820.jpeg this is a pig farm. It is the kind of place most pork and ham in Spain comes from. I saw dozens of these places today and there must be thousands all over Spain. Walking about 5000km of Camino I must have a few hundred but only 3 or 4 times have I seen free range pigs. I am not a vegetarian, but we shouldn’t delude ourselves about where our lomo or jamón comes from.

Departing some short distance from this thread and definitely out to the fringes of this forum ( I won’t mind if this gets blasted) Several of our local “nature reserves” in Sussex are obliged to cull the deer that have multiplied to unprecedented numbers and wreak considerable damage in sensitive environments. And all that fine, high quality, low fat, Omega 3 rich meat goes to landfill. Because no one wants to eat Bambi.
If only the woods were full of frolicking Burgers: what a different world we would have 😉

View attachment 170402 this is a pig farm. It is the kind of place most pork and ham in Spain comes from. I saw dozens of these places today and there must be thousands all over Spain. Walking about 5000km of Camino I must have a few hundred but only 3 or 4 times have I seen free range pigs. I am not a vegetarian, but we shouldn’t delude ourselves about where our lomo or jamón comes from.
Probably the best thing a person can do to reduce suffering (not just human suffering) in the world is to reduce the consumption of meat coming from factory farms

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Departing some short distance from this thread and definitely out to the fringes of this forum ( I won’t mind if this gets blasted) Several of our local “nature reserves” in Sussex are obliged to cull the deer that have multiplied to unprecedented numbers and wreak considerable damage in sensitive environments. And all that fine, high quality, low fat, Omega 3 rich meat goes to landfill. Because no one wants to eat Bambi.
If only the woods were full of frolicking Burgers: what a different world we would have 😉
What a shame, but venison is definitely more popular now. It's probably another irony that the venison is coming from farmed animals whilst the wild venison is sent to landfill. Surely it could be used for dog food at the very least. . .

I have had venison a number of times over the years sharing meals with friends and relatives who hunt deer in season for sport. It is a bit gamey tasting, but very lean, and usually taken to a packaging facility where much of the meat is turned into minced hamburger and sausage. The backstrap is tender and delicious; steak slabs are often slow cooked with a sauce to tenderize the lean, fat free meat.
I hope this post does not offend the many V's among us.

As many of you will know the only mammals native to New Zealand are two species of bat. Everything else has been introduced by humans, the vast majority by Europeans in the last 200 years.

Because of the lack of natural predators a number of these animals - and a few large birds - have become major pests. We're talking rabbits, hares, possums, goat's, wallaby, deer, pigs, Turkey's and believe it or not Peacocks; along with some of the Predators that were misguidedly brought in to help control the rabbit - Ferrets in particular.

We have no hunting season in New Zealand because we simply don't have the number of hunters necessary to control the issues that we have. You can hunt whenever you wish, many of us do. We are not 'gun happy' however, no semi-automatic assault rifles or rubbish like that.
As a young man I participated frequently in pest control on a number of our larger local farms, we shot goats during the day, rabbits and the odd hare in the early evening and possums once it was dark. Unfortunately only the goat meat was used and that was simply as dog food for the farm.

Many of my friends also hunted deer and pig, predominantly for the table. Deer were culled by the government for many years, unfortunately that stopped back in the 70s and despite hunting deer numbers are steadily increasing. Despite this we actively Farm venison in New Zealand. Crazy!

Whilst I knew that historically people ate rabbit I never ate it myself until I got to Europe. I have since hunted it for the pot at home however the vast majority of New Zealanders have not and probably would not eat rabbit. It is a massive waste of a resource especially considering that the Easter Bunny Hunt in one small region alone normally bags over 10,000 rabbits in a 24 hour period (I think the record is over 24,000). Yes they really are that big of a pest, this barely dents the numbers in the region.

My parents have a small holding, they periodically have to call in one of the young neighbours to cull the wild turkeys. I don't know anybody that's ever eaten Turkey in New Zealand (although I'm sure some do). For many years my parents cat controlled the local rabbits, cats of course are yet another issue.

Personally I and many others see all of this as a massive waste of a resource, whether it is used for pet or human food, it should be used. Instead we basically bury them and actively farm deer, pork, and chickens, the latter two often intensively (although I'm pleased to say there is a marked increase in free range animals over recent years).

Something has to change.

The New Zealand government has a predator control program underway, with the goal of eradicating all of its mammalian introduced predators by 2050; whilst this is important for our iconic Kiwi for example, it does nothing to address the other issues above.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In places that ate (or still do??) rabbits as the primary source of meat, for example during the depression, rabbit starvation (humans starving, not the rabbits) was a thing. Rabbits are too lean, and any very lean meat is definitely not a good idea. Digestion of protein requires associated fat in the meal.

Rabbits are best consumed as a minor portion of the diet, unless you serve them with lots of butter or other proper fat of your choosing.

In contrast for example, in the old days pigs produced lots of fatty meat and were a good source of nutrition for the omnivores amongst us. Thus eating Jamón ibérico is much preferred, and much better than the industrial pork (which most likely does not have good fat) frequently offered for Menu del perigrino.

Last edited:

€83,-
I have eaten rabbit only once; on the Primitivo. The pieces were in a stew with a dark sauce, which was hiding the included heads with their tiny white teeth.🙄
Yes I have had a similar experience, personally I prefer to cook mine without the heads. My favourite recipe involves lots of butter, fatty bacon bits, onions, thyme, Bay leaves and a full bottle of red wine, which produces a very rich dark sauce much like you describe. Slow cooked over many hours ....
In places that ate (or still do??) rabbits as the primary source of meat, for example during the depression, rabbit starvation (humans starving, not the rabbits) was a thing. Rabbits are too lean, and any very lean meat is definitely not a good idea. Digestion of protein requires associated fat in the meal.

Rabbits are best consumed as a minor portion of the diet, unless you serve them with lots of butter or other proper fat of your choosing.

I know rabbit is extremely lean, it's why when cooked it's often cooked with fatty bacon or as you say loads of butter; however I was unaware of the human starvation deaths during the depression. Interesting. It makes absolute sense though, because I know that historically the Inuits main issue in late winter was avoiding starvation if primary meat sources became too scarce or lean.

Goat and venison are both also very lean meats, typically in New Zealand when we hunt them if you don't have dogs you end up with quite a lot of mince meat. Normally we would combine that with fat from another animal because otherwise it is far too dry.

It's a bit like steak: the difference between a good steak and fantastic steak lies in the marbling.

Rabbit if cooked correctly is a very nice meat. You will often get this on the menu in Spain especially in the Pyrenees (not so much on the Camino I don't think), but a lot of the time it is farmed rabbit (edit - wild rabbit is nice farmed is not - very bland). Another example of human craziness as well outlined above.

Venison given how freely it is available in Spain it is a real surprise not to see it on more menus along the Camino, but that will probably be due in part to the fact that even though is so freely available it is still not as cheap as the industrial farmed animals more popular on the menus. In Boca de Huergano just South of the Pico's de Europa where I've spend a lot of time venison and wild boar are the main stays of many local menus and is by far some of the best meat you will eat. - all wild.

@Peterexpatkiwi over populations of deer and the damage they cause is becoming a massive issue everywhere. In the UK where they are obviously native unlike NZ they are causing big problems ecologically (although probably no more so than massive herds of sheep or cows I guess), so much so that there are even people now calling for the reintroduction of Lynx and Wolves! I would love to see that happen one day - but alas I don't think the UK has the wilderness or tolerance left for this.

Last edited:
FWIW: Rabbit and hare are not the same. I’ve never eaten rabbit (and probably never will) but I’ve eaten hare. Be careful and don’t bite on the shot (pellets). It can be as bad for one of your teeth as biting on a bocadillo. :cool:

In Spanish it is conejo and liebre and in French it is lapin and lièvre.

I don’t know whether rabbits live in the wild in Spain. My uninformed guess would be that they don’t. Hold on, that can’t be true: Isn’t Spain the original motherland of the wild rabbit?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FWIW: Rabbit and hare are not the same. I’ve never eaten rabbit (and probably never will) but I’ve eaten hare. Be careful and don’t bite on the shot (pellets). It can be as bad for one of your teeth as biting on a bocadillo. :cool:
Funny, I would never have thought of the shot, I use a 22. I've only ever used a shotgun for ducks!

I don’t know whether rabbits live in the wild in Spain. My uninformed guess would be that they don’t. Hold on, that can’t be true: Isn’t Spain the original motherland of the wild rabbit?
Yes they live in the wild and are a problem for the crops in some parts of Spain. You can see them even in big parks in Madrid. There are more rabbits than hares.

@Peterexpatkiwi over populations of deer and the damage they cause is becoming a massive issue everywhere. In the UK where they are obviously native unlike NZ they are causing big problems ecologically (although probably no more so than massive herds of sheep or cows I guess), so much so that there are even people now calling for the reintroduction of Lynx and Wolves! I would love to see that happen one day - but alas I don't think the UK has the wilderness or tolerance left for this.
Yes, as I understand it it's rapidly becoming as big a problem for the UK as it has been for New Zealand for decades.

Whilst both Roe and Red deer are native to the UK the others- Fallow, Chinese water deer, sika and muntjac are not.

I recall reading recently that whilst there is a control program underway currently they're only killing something like 350,000 deer per year - as the population is now over two million, that is nowhere near enough. Accepted wisdom (research) shows that in order to simply maintain the numbers you need to cull 25- 30% per year or another words between 500 to 750,000. Realistically in order to protect the ancient Woodlands and give them even the slightest chance of regenerating, (in addition to substantial fencing like we do in New Zealand) deer numbers in Britain need to be halved, according to a number of sources. Since so many wild food restaurants closed during the pandemic and demand is down it would make sense to donate a lot of this meat to food banks etc.

If consumers could be persuaded to switch to venison then this would reduce the numbers of other animals eaten, potentially reducing the demand for intensively farmed stock - even if just by a fraction.

€83,-
Hmm, I don't know.. Didn't I see hundreds and hundreds of them on the Ruta de la Lana at sunrise every morning, darting across the path in front of me, in and out of holes in every direction.. and in traditional paella, still eaten in Valencia.. I've had it more than once.

I understand it it's rapidly becoming as big a problem for the UK as it has been for New Zealand for decades.
I don't know whether the deer population is threatening the Spanish forests but since you live in Berlin: Try to find an older German who watched TV on Christmas Eve 1971 and saw Horst Stern's Remarks about the red deer (Bemerkungen über den Rothirsch). Epic. It caused a huge public debate and quite a bit of quarrelling in some families that spoiled the festive mood ... The movie demonstrated the damage that the deer population causes to the forests in Germany. So it's been a problem for more than 50 years already.

FWIW, I saw partridge, pheasant, hare and deer on the way to Santiago in France, especially in the regions of La Beauce and Les Landes but nothing of the sort along the Camino Frances. Probably because it is an environment that is too populated and too cultivated and with too many roads?

Last edited:
Yes, but it's very rare to see them, albeit in some cities where there are no predators as mentioned above they are more numerous.
Disease, hunting and natural predators (that haven't already been shot by the hunters) keeps the numbers low in other areas. Further South they are actively bred/reintroduced to help the Lynx populations as they are a large part of this endangered cats diet.
You are more likely to see hares, and indeed these are the unfortunate fodder of the massive Galgo competitions in the Andalusian South. This is the equivalent of what used to be known as hare-coursing in the UK but has thankfully long since been banned. In Spain it is estimated that up to 50,000 Galgos are abandoned or killed each year at the end of the hunting season.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's a bit like steak: the difference between a good steak and fantastic steak lies in the marbling.
It great when fantastic steak is also the most nutritious with its healthy marbling.

However it is sad that "probably" a juicy fatty pork chop in Spain may no longer be as healthy as they would have been decades ago before the industrial feed now given to pigs in all those sheds we see. Pigs are monogastric which means some of the rubbish they are fed can accumulate in their fat.

("probably" because I am not familiar with the details of industrial feed in Spain although industrial scale farms all go down the path to the cheapest feed sources)

It had to look up the word galgo. This just shows the level of my ignorance about Spain, Spanish culture (including literature ;)) and the Spanish ways of life.

So the galgo is the Spanish greyhound. And it is used for hare hunting. I guess that this thread does have the potential to turn some readers into vegetarians ...

But I have now also learnt that there are plenty of common expressions in Spain that name the galgo, and this may actually be of some use to the weary peregrin@s ☺️, for example:
  • A galgo viejo, echadle liebre, no conejo, which means 'use old Galgos for chasing hares instead of rabbits', suggesting that it is best to use experienced people for hard tasks and challenges.
  • Galgo que va tras dos liebres, sin ninguna vuelve, meaning 'if a Galgo tries to chase two hares, it will return with none', recommending focussing on a single effort, otherwise failing by distraction.

saw partridge, pheasant, hare and deer on the way to Santiago in France, especially in the regions of La Beauce and Les Landes but nothing of the sort along the Camino Frances.
Yes, I saw pheasant, hare and deer along the Primitivo too, no Partridge unfortunately. I only saw one hare but several deer on the Inglés in April last year.

It's not surprising that deer are an issue here in Germany as well, I have seen deer from my balcony in the empty lot beside me in the small town I live in. Considering I'm on the outskirts of Berlin that really surprised me. I've also walked within 10 meters of them just on my evening walks here in town, it absolutely astonishes me that they are not hunted more rigorously.

BE06F06C-C490-44ED-809B-65C616ABADA6.jpeg

Taken with my phone just 400m from home in someone’s garden ( in town)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
  • A galgo viejo, echadle liebre, no conejo, which means 'use old Galgos for chasing hares instead of rabbits', suggesting that it is best to use experienced people for hard tasks and challenges.
  • Galgo que va tras dos liebres, sin ninguna vuelve, meaning 'if a Galgo tries to chase two hares, it will return with none', recommending focussing on a single effort, otherwise failing by distraction.
I didn' t know those " refranes". about galgos. On the first one you include the interpretation that is on internet, but for me the thing is the galgo is old. It is still fast but not too agile and therefore it is easier for it to chase a hare that runs straight than a rabbit. So my interpretation is the opposite give the old people the easy tasks.
'

I saw a few rabbits on the Sanabres a couple of weeks ago and their many holes in rather sandy built up soil a couple of different times, as if they live in little colonies.
Also saw a group of four deer bounding through a field into the woods and another small group of three deer running together. They were a darker brown and a bit smaller than the white tail deer so common in the US.

One of several etymologies for Spain comes from a Phoenician name meaning land of rabbits.

€149,-
Beef and pork cheeks rarely feature on a "mid budget" menu here in Canada, but I find them regularly at the more 'gastro-pub' places where they will braise these cuts for hours (it's cheap meat, but requires labour and patience to be delicious so it can't fit easily on lower-priced menus in locations like ours where the lease on the restaurant requires extreme budgeting on all other expenses). I had beef cheeks just a few days ago in Logrono and they were lovely. At home I can get them from two local butchers who source only from small family farms. I cannot buy them in a regular grocery store. A beef check is about the size of my hand, and a pork cheek is about half the size, so they are not in great supply, unlike all the rib cuts, the massive loins, rumps and shoulders...

I saw a few rabbits on the Sanabres a couple of weeks ago and their many holes in rather sandy built up soil a couple of different times, as if they live in little colonies.
Also saw a group of four deer bounding through a field into the woods and another small group of three deer running together. They were a darker brown and a bit smaller than the white tail deer so common in the US.
I think those are called Fallow Deer. And IIRC from Michener, they are not hunted. EDIT: ... Hmmm. Nope the European fallow deer is not so small. The small ones might be Spanish Red Deer, but I really haven't been able to get close enough to ID them, and I've not had a chance to ask a local about them.
last year two thundered by me on the way into Lugo and they were magnificent. Just about 10 days ago I saw a stag and doe together just past Olague on the way to Trinidad de Arre on the Baztan. My photo of them is lousy or I would post it. But they were quite wee as compared to the Kentucky White Tails we have here at home.

Last edited:
As Annie says there is an historic fear causing demand for pork to be well cooked but can I add this which has always been my concern never having heard of trichinosis!! "Based on analysis of U.S. foodborne disease outbreaks, pork may be responsible for between 8 and 13 percent of roughly 1 million foodborne human salmonellosis cases each year" and "Cooking pork thoroughly can eliminate the risk of infection. The meat should be cooked to temperatures of 145–160°F (63–71°C) and allowed to rest for at least 3 minutes before eating."

€83,-
Cooking pork thoroughly can eliminate the risk of infection. The meat should be cooked to temperatures of 145–160°F (63–71°C) and allowed to rest for at least 3 minutes before eating."
Absolutely correct, however that doesn't preclude it still being pink in the middle. Basically at 145/155 degrees you effectively get a medium rare steak, and exactly like beef steak pork will still be pink in the middle.

nothing of the sort along the Camino Frances. Probably because it is an environment that is too populated and too cultivated and with too many roads?
Too populated by pilgrims, probably more to the point. On less busy caminos I've seen deer, fox, wild boar, and game birds - even close to roads and villages.

In Spanish it is conejo and liebre and in French it is lapin and lièvre.

Hare has much better flavour than rabbit especially when cooked in a stew eg jugged hare.

Rabbit is also a traditional ingredient in paella

I prefer my pork roasted and not rare - enhanced with a bit of lime juice - certainly not apple sauce which I have never found in Spain fortunately!

In addition to pigs cheeks, pigs ears in sauce also make a good accompaniment to beer though even well cooked is still a bit chewy IMHO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hare has much better flavour than rabbit especially when cooked in a stew eg jugged hare.

Rabbit is also a traditional ingredient in paella

I prefer my pork roasted and not rare - enhanced with a bit of lime juice - certainly not apple sauce which I have never found in Spain fortunately!

In addition to pigs cheeks, pigs ears in sauce also make a good accompaniment to beer though even well cooked is still a bit chewy IMHO.
Interesting information to learn about.

Most read last week in this forum

After walking 5 hard days, slogging through rain and mud my leg was very sore and I took a rest day. Feeling better I left Tui Monday and by the end of the day can hardly walk. I can’t put any...
Has anyone experienced night sweats on a Camino? I am in Santiago now, having finished the Primitivo on May 21. Five years ago I walked the Frances, also finishing in late May. On both Caminos, I...
Hey all! We finished our Camino yesterday and are in town for 2 more days before onward travel. I need somewhere to get my feet checked. I've got large blisters on the balls of both feet, that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.