• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Porto to Santiago as much as possible along the coast

MilenaS

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Camino del Norte
I am finally counting DAYS til i start walking! My countdown started at 120 days, and now it is almost there. Tuesday I fly to Porto and than I start walking on Wednesday.

This is my fourth time walking towards Santiago, but my second Camino. The previous times I have always been worried if the next one will be as good as the last one, and the lesson is that they are all good and all different. So I am holding on to that insight.

First two times I almost didn't prebook, last time I jumped on all the talk about how busy the camino was, and booked a couple of days ahead. It was never full. So I will try to be as free as possible while still comfortable. I am a slooooow walker. So I need to balance freedom and stress 😂 Sounds like a good idea in general.

I am staying two nights in Porto, and walking to Matosinhos the first day, metroing back, and than starting there again the the next day. That way shortening my first couple of walking days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @MilenaS, like you I'm counting down the days until my Camino Portugues! I fly to Porto a week on Wednesday so you'll be well ahead of me (especially as I'm also a slow walker).

Bom caminho!

Hi @MilenaS, like you I'm counting down the days until my Camino Portugues! I fly to Porto a week on Wednesday so you'll be well ahead of me (especially as I'm also a slow walker).

Bom caminho!
Next Wednesday? Or the one afterwards? Who knows, the ways of the Camino are a bit serendipitous so maybe our paths cross :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I fly out to Porto on Wednesday 27th September. After staying overnight in Portol, I'll be doing 2 days on the Littoral and then cutting across to the Central at Vila do Conde, all being well arriving in Santiago on 13th October.

I fly out to Porto on Wednesday 27th September. After staying overnight in Portol, I'll be doing 2 days on the Littoral and then cutting across to the Central at Vila do Conde, all being well arriving in Santiago on 13th October.
Then, hopefully we will not meet on this one. I hope to arrive in Santiago on the 4th or 5th of October. But who knows, suddenly I could fall in love with a small town along the Camino and just stay there o_O:)😂

I wish you a lovely Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are flying to Porto the 27th from the US. We will arrive in Porto the 28th. Our plan is to walk to Matosinhos on the 29th. We are going to walk the Littoral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I are also flying to Porto Sep 27, arriving the next day. We plan to spend a day at Fatima before starting our first Camino!

We haven't been there but I have heard it is nice. We went to Aveiro last year for a day.
We haven't been there but I have heard it is nice. We went to Aveiro last year for a day.
My husband and I start our walk the 29th. We are taking our time this to enjoy the beautiful of the Camino and have time to explore the towns. We are walking in total 15 days.

Buen camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@MilenaS we will do the same thing - 2 nights in Porto, walking to Matosinho on the 22nd (for a tour of the sardine factory), taking the metro back to Porto and then starting from Matosinho on the 23rd. The plan is to arrive in Santiago on the 5th. Perhaps our paths will cross.

This is our first Camino. I am very excited.

Buen Camino!!

My pack is ready, 6,3kg without the water. Think I can work with that. I am so ready that I wish it was tomorrow 😂

It is so interesting to acknowledge how my attitude towards adventure has changed. I am gitty and exited, but so confident in the Camino being what Camino is. It might be social, but it also might be a peaceful adventure. I might also feel lonely at times. And all those feelings are ok. I am fat, and I am slow, but I also know that I can walk for hours if I only follow my own pace. I love finding that mindfullness in myself - I have never planned less, I think.

@MilenaS beautiful attitude... we all bring our physical, mental, emotional burdens... But what matters is that we are there, taking one step at a time.

I agree, I wish I was on the trail already!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another serendipitous moment - I found out that a lady I walked with almost 2 weeks on the Frances last year is doing the Portuguese two days behind me now. We haven't planned this, we didn't talk about it at that, it is Camino magic! She will probably catch up to me since I am slow, if not, we will eat dinner in Santiago at the end of our journeys!

We did the same utilising the Metro for the first two days while our lost luggage arrived in Porto and have not book ahead, but worried it’s seems busy in the Seda Lit route at the moment! Happy travels

We did the same utilising the Metro for the first two days while our lost luggage arrived in Porto and have not book ahead, but worried it’s seems busy in the Seda Lit route at the moment! Happy travels
Thank you Thomas. I will try it out. I can always switch to the central if this does not suit me. How far you along now?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My pack is ready, 6,3kg without the water. Think I can work with that. I am so ready that I wish it was tomorrow 😂

It is so interesting to acknowledge how my attitude towards adventure has changed. I am gitty and exited, but so confident in the Camino being what Camino is. It might be social, but it also might be a peaceful adventure. I might also feel lonely at times. And all those feelings are ok. I am fat, and I am slow, but I also know that I can walk for hours if I only follow my own pace. I love finding that mindfullness in myself - I have never planned less, I think.
I will be watching with interest as I am planning on an April 2024 Camino.

Day 3/16 Vila do Conde - Fao
IMG_1372.jpegIMG_1374.jpeg

Nice and relaxing walk. Not to much to rapport 😊Stayed in lovely Spot hostel and enjoyed a meal at a local restaurant with pilgrims that just hit right into my heart. Got the Camino feeling!

Day 4/16 Fao - Anha
Long day for me! It was tough on my feet and hips. Stayed at amazing Casa da Carolina - such a spirit!

7A3F8681-9EB4-425A-A173-AB8C189EC205.jpegFC8B2B57-DAD7-4521-885C-49D8E625CAC1.jpegBBBB45BF-B7EE-489D-9DDE-EB7B6E8B020D.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 1/16 Porto to Matosinhos

Lovely walk - I love watching people living in the city going about their daily life. It was hot and humid, so nice to just have a short day.

I am back a my hostel, The House of Sandeman, which I just can’t recommend enough.
View attachment 156844View attachment 156845
Thank you for sharing. We leave Wednesday and are excited!!

A lot to look forward to. The Camino is lovely. Very hot though. They say it’s 22 degrees but out in the open with no shade it is warmer.
Thanks. I saw the weather. I am debating whether to leave one pants here and take shorts instead. I have one pair of pants I am taking that are zip off. Just not sure to take pants or shorts. Tks!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would highly recommend a hiking umbrella, and a wet buff on your neck.
We started at Porto on the coastal (Literal) route, but now we are in the central (Barcelos tonight) which is warmer than the coastal route (less breeze). Starting early is the other key to keeping cool.

Hubby is in shorts and I have a lightweight Columbia dress, fwiw.

Buen Camino!

I would highly recommend a hiking umbrella, and a wet buff on your neck.
We started at Porto on the coastal (Literal) route, but now we are in the central (Barcelos tonight) which is warmer than the coastal route (less breeze). Starting early is the other key to keeping cool.

Hubby is in shorts and I have a lightweight Columbia dress, fwiw.

Buen Camino!
Thank you!!

Thanks. I saw the weather. I am debating whether to leave one pants here and take shorts instead. I have one pair of pants I am taking that are zip off. Just not sure to take pants or shorts. Tks!!
I think shorts are good! Nice to have that one longer pair as it gets chilly in the evenings.

I am switching in to the central tomorrow. Will be interesting with the heat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think shorts are good! Nice to have that one longer pair as it gets chilly in the evenings.

I am switching in to the central tomorrow. Will be interesting with the heat.
Thanks!! Buen Camino. I have repacked 4 times probably already. 😆

You will enjoy the central!!

Day 6/16 Carreco - Caminha
The day I had an adventure along the Litoral 😂 A bit remote, but lovely. I had told myself I could jump on a train along the way if it became to much for me, but I arrived in Caminha nicely. Stayed at Bom Caminha and had both an amazing massage from Victor and a really enjoyable pilgrim dinner. 10/10 - do recommend!

IMG_1469.jpegIMG_1461_jpg.jpegIMG_1454_jpg.jpeg

Day 7/16 Caminha - Vila Nova de Cerveira

Beautiful morning with fog over the river. I stayed on the classic Camino first and after a while switched to the river walk. Had to do some road walking, but all in all a nice day!
IMG_1484.jpegIMG_1492.jpegIMG_1490.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, the updates kind of did not get priority. But here is the rest:

Day 9/16 Tui - O Porrino
First start in the dark. But a lovely day through some woodlands and also some nice little villages. This looks more like the Camino Frances I am used to.
IMG_1558.jpegIMG_1562.jpeg

Day 10/16 O Porrino - Redondela
Now the up and downs start. The downs were more intens than the ups :-D So happy for my poles. The plantar f.... is starting to really impact my days.
IMG_1584.jpegIMG_1585.jpeg

Day 11/16 Redondela - Pontevedra
This day I got to test how far I can walk in 30+ degrees and with pretty extreme pain. Around 23 km my gps says. Luckily we had some shade this day.
IMG_1610.jpegIMG_1620.jpeg

Day 12/16 Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis
Hot, hungry and in pain. But than this sign showed up and I had a lovely evening with a whole bunch of pilgrims, and all is good again.
IMG_1645.jpeg

Day 13/16 Caldas de Reis - Padron
Short day. Lot of shade. Wonderful company. And padron peppers!
IMG_1674.jpegIMG_1685.jpeg

Day 14/16 Padron - O Milladoiro
Up, up, up. I felt strong. Had my feet not been bothering me this would have been a walk in the park.
IMG_1698.jpeg

Day 15/16 O Milladoiro - Santiago
I started early so that I could get some km done before my fellow pilgrims caught up to me. But walking in pitch dark, all alone, made me sooo fast that I got in to Santiago in record speed. That way I could be the welcoming committee for the rest of the group.
IMG_1716.jpegIMG_1728_jpg.jpegIMG_1735_jpg.jpegIMG_1747.jpeg

Day 16/16 Santiago
Got to wander the streets. Welcome my friend from my last years Camino, who had been walking a day behind me. Eat some gelato. And all the other lovely Santiago things.

Looking forward to my next one! Camino del Norte here I come. Just have to figure out how to prepare my feet to avoid this pain...

Will also try to upload my Relive videos for every stage. But I am not sure I can do it... If not, they can be found on my instagram under the highlight "Camino 23".

Delighted to hear you made it to Santiago. Any recommendations on gelato places in Santiago?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back