• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question regarding travel insurance and pre-existing conditions USA

motero99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portugues (2023)
This is a USA based travel insurance question. I went to buy travel insurance for my upcoming Camino and ran into some issues. I did not realize that I should have purchased travel insurance before purchasing my airfare due to a pre-existing condition. Because I did not purchase insurance before purchasing the ticket, a blanket policy covering pre-existing conditions is not an option. I am subject to a 60 day look back. I had a heart attack nearly 5 years ago, which is my pre-existing condition. I did the Frances from SJPDP 8 months after the heart attack without any problems. The issue seems to be that I went for a regular checkup with the heart doctor a month ago. He did not change any prescriptions and did not have any concerns about the Camino. The Squaremouth agent had reservations about whether a normal doctor visit triggered the 60 day loopback. My concern is that if I do have a heart attack, then no medical expenses will be covered nor would be the expenses to ship either me or my dead body would be covered. In other words I would have purchases some worthless paper. Does anyone have experience with the look back issues? I do have some coverage with a medicare supplementary policy, but that would not cover shipping a dead me home.
Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had the same issue when booking a cruise for next year in July. I paid the deposit last February. When I went to purchase travel insurance I found that the pre-existing medical conditions waiver is only included if the travel insurance is purchased within 14 days of making the first payment or deposit. I had to make a second booking with a new deposit and then purchased the travel insurance for that reservation. So this is a heads-up for those that like to make their reservations well in advance... It's OK so long as you buy the travel insurance well in advance too--at the same time!

Since I'm retired and looking forward to traveling a lot, I usually pay extra now to make sure my airfare is refundable or at least changeable. At my age, health issues will come up unexpectedly.

Last edited:
How long ago did you purchase the insurance? Are you still within the review period when you can cancel it?
Look at a policy with GeoBlue, which is part of Blue Cross.
I was looking at it for a friend who needed pre-existing conditions coverage, and had waited too long to purchase a regular travel policy with a pre-existing condition waiver. It seemed that the best/least expensive option was a yearly policy rather than a single trip policy. (I have no idea if I read it correctly though, and I would call them to clarify everything before purchasing)
The plan covers pre-existing conditions, but you must also have medical coverage at home.

Here's what the website says:

• The GeoBlue Voyager Choice, Trekker Choice, and Trekker Essential plans are available to those who have primary medical insurance (a Primary Plan) inside the U.S. and will cover medical treatments for pre-existing conditions. A Primary Plan is a Group Health Benefit Plan, an individual health benefit plan or a governmental health plan designed to be the first payer of claims (such as Medicare) for an Insured Person prior to the responsibility of this Plan. Such plans must have coverage limits in excess of $50,000 per incident or per year to be considered a Primary Plan. Note: Medicaid, Short Term, State Sponsored, V.A., Medishare, and SSDI health plans do not constitute primary health insurance.
You should also check your regular health insurance to see if they provide coverage while you are abroad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmmm... was not aware of this requirement either. For any and all of my travels (once the amount that I need to prepay goes over a certain threshold) I use Travelex. Their 'requirement' is quite straightforward - purchase insurance within 7 days of making 1st payment on the trip (they don't care what it is - a downpayment on a cruise, a plane ticket, hotel, etc.) and the policy does not look at any pre-existing conditions and you can pretty much cancel the trip like 99% 'for any reasons'.
When I was preparing for the Camino I spoke to a CR who assured me that 'hiking through Spain' does not constitute a specific waiver policy (i.e. they did not consider it to be a special sports activity; obviously I was not climbing Mt Everest).
One can always buy a given amount of coverage and if need be increase it at some later date (they go up in increments of $500.00)
As stated I only cover what I prepay. There was no need for me to cover, say some Albergues fees when I was not anywhere near the place and so far paid nothing. Hence my policy was about $2,000 and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
I had a medical bill for ER in HOSPITAL RECOLETAS BURGOS as well as a follow-up bill in Pharmacia for 'supplies' (if you will). Submitted a claim upon return to US and got promptly reimbursed.
The limits of the coverage is more than enough for a 'pilgrimage'. of course one is always welcome to up it if they so desire.

Once of the interesting things I found - Since my wife and I traveled separately up to a certain point (I went on Frances - she met me in SdC adn we set out to walk Finisterre together) she had to get her own policy. Well... if say we did cancel the Finisterre - even if prepaid accommodations were for both of us - 1/2 was considered to come out from her policy and 1/2 from mine - that also helped us to keep the premium cost to a minimum.

I am sorry that you need to jump through these hoops. Hope you get it resolved

Good luck and Buen Camino

Yesterday I had a scheduled appointment with my GP. High on my list was getting info on the 60 day look back. By the way, some insurance policies go out to 180 days, which is something you should always check on the "details" button wherever you are searching for policies. He read the summary of my April visit to the Heart doctor and saw that he said I had no issues and did not see that hiking the Camino was a problem. He said there is nothing in a look back to disqualify me. Great news, so I bought a po

My concern is that if I do have a heart attack, then no medical expenses will be covered nor would be the expenses to ship either me or my dead body would be covered. ... I do have some coverage with a medicare supplementary policy, but that would not cover shipping a dead me home.
Thank you

Well... for better or worse - about 6 months ago me & my wife came upon Return Assured To avid travelers like we are (Camino or not we are take about 3-4 trips annually and lately 1-2 of those are to Europe) this was like a God-sent gift.
Basically for ONE-TIME (and IMHO quite low) fee if you happen to die anywhere IN THE WORLD 75 miles or more from your legal US residence (Yes - must be a legal US residence) these folks will collect your remains and transport them to the place of your choice (usually "your" Funeral Home but obviously can be your home). In case if death happens outside US - all necessary paperwork (procuring the consular services, etc.) is taken care of as well
You better believe it we bought it in a blink of an eye!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is a USA based travel insurance question. I went to buy travel insurance for my upcoming Camino and ran into some issues. I did not realize that I should have purchased travel insurance before purchasing my airfare due to a pre-existing condition. Because I did not purchase insurance before purchasing the ticket, a blanket policy covering pre-existing conditions is not an option. I am subject to a 60 day look back. I had a heart attack nearly 5 years ago, which is my pre-existing condition. I did the Frances from SJPDP 8 months after the heart attack without any problems. The issue seems to be that I went for a regular checkup with the heart doctor a month ago. He did not change any prescriptions and did not have any concerns about the Camino. The Squaremouth agent had reservations about whether a normal doctor visit triggered the 60 day loopback. My concern is that if I do have a heart attack, then no medical expenses will be covered nor would be the expenses to ship either me or my dead body would be covered. In other words I would have purchases some worthless paper. Does anyone have experience with the look back issues? I do have some coverage with a medicare supplementary policy, but that would not cover shipping a dead me home.
Thank you
I have a pre-existing heart condition. I highly recommend contacting Insurance Services of America and speak with Rachel. She offers travel medical insurance which does not exclude pre-existing conditions. She can send you the details in writing. Good luck and I wish you safe travels!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.