• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weighing Travel Insurance Options

asl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023, Norte (2024)
Currently reviewing travel insurance options and have noted feedback regarding Allianz in particular, as they are one of the companies. Curious if anyone has had experience with AXA? Impressed to see that they provide assistance to replace lost identity documents as well as assistance in the event of identity theft.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmm. I’d be more interested in what cover they provide in a medical or family emergency and on repatriation of remains. I’d be inclined to rely on my local national consulate to sort out a lost passport and anyone stealing my identity is likely to find themselves in some embarrassing situations without care 😉

If you ever find yourself trying to convince your bank that you have been a victim of cloning you’ll know that trying to convince a travel insurer of the same will just be doubling your grief

Hmm. I’d be more interested in what cover they provide in a medical or family emergency and on repatriation of remains. I’d be inclined to rely on my local national consulate to sort out a lost passport and anyone stealing my identity is likely to find themselves in some embarrassing situations without care 😉
Completely agree with you, I was noting interesting point of differentiation. The medical and repatriation coverage across several plans is almost identical, individuals need only decide on dollar limits. Experiences with the companies will be key factor all else being almost near equal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought a General Global Assistance policy. I wanted it mostly for medical and I'm over 75. A lot of companies won't take you over 70 I think. I searched specifically for 'age 75+' companies and found a few. I have no experience with any of them and hope I don't need them, but....just in case. I checked the prices and reviews, then chose one.

Also much cheaper to buy when you make your flight reservations or at least thevsame day. If you wait you will pay more and usually get less coverage.

Just check how long any one "trip" on your policy is covered for. The CF is generally over 30 days... The Norte is longer...

Some "annual" insurance policies only cover UP to 30 days for any one "trip".

Advise them and pay any excess if required.

Keep records of all transactions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My 52 yo son used Allianz for our trip this year. He did the Norte last year and I assumed he used the same company. No claims, however.

World Nomads saved my bacon when I fell crossing a busy street in Virgin del Camino in 2015 and badly broke my right hand. Can recommend them w/o hesitation! --- That said, I turn 70 in September, and have just discovered that they won't cover me for my planned October Camino. So I'm currently looking for an alternative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Before you go spending money on travel insurance, you might do well to check what coverage you have already. Your health insurance plan, for example, might very well cover you for any medical expenses you incur abroad. (My Kaiser plan does, and I've made good use of that on several occasions). Also, your credit card may provide some coverage. For example, my Chase United Explorer Card will reimburse me if I (or my travel companion, like my wife) get sick and have to cancel a plane reservation. I've taken advantage of that, too. And my homeowner coverage also provides for such things as coverage against identity theft.

Granted a plan offered through Allianz as some other company might provide some additional coverage, but you'll have to weigh whether an expense of several hundred dollars is really worth it to cover some situations that are extremely unlikely to occur.

So -- my advice is check the coverage you already have, and then make a decision as to whether you really need more.

Before you go spending money on travel insurance, you might do well to check what coverage you have already. Your health insurance plan, for example, might very well cover you for any medical expenses you incur abroad. (My Kaiser plan does, and I've made good use of that on several occasions). Also, your credit card may provide some coverage. For example, my Chase United Explorer Card will reimburse me if I (or my travel companion, like my wife) get sick and have to cancel a plane reservation. I've taken advantage of that, too. And my homeowner coverage also provides for such things as coverage against identity theft.

Granted a plan offered through Allianz as some other company might provide some additional coverage, but you'll have to weigh whether an expense of several hundred dollars is really worth it to cover some situations that are extremely unlikely to occur.

So -- my advice is check the coverage you already have, and then make a decision as to whether you really need more.
How serious were your health issues that Kaiser covered?
I just read thru their “summer bulletin” I elected to get travel insurance with primary coverage-
But I’m definitely interested in what your Kaiser experience has been— def good to keep in mind… this was my first trip I got travel insurance for…I’m on a private tour prior to starting my camino -which required me to purchase travel insurance-a d to just included my Camino easily

How serious were your health issues that Kaiser covered?
I just read thru their “summer bulletin” I elected to get travel insurance with primary coverage-
But I’m definitely interested in what your Kaiser experience has been— def good to keep in mind… this was my first trip I got travel insurance for…I’m on a private tour prior to starting my camino -which required me to purchase travel insurance-a d to just included my Camino easily
The policy covers "urgent care", which is defined to mean everything other than a routtine check-up. For us, it's covered everything from treatment for blisters, to treatment and medication for bronchitis, and for two ambulance rides and treatment in a hospital emergency room after I passed out in a restaurant.

Coverage depends on your particular policy. There was, though, a $10 deductible I had to pay out-of-pocket.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For US travelers on Medicare, the Medigap plans cover some medical expenses while traveling (80% for emergencies, max $50,000, 60 day max). From https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/does-medicare-cover-me-outside-the-us/
These Medigap plans cover foreign travel emergency care that begins in the first 60 days of your trip. They pay 80 percent of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the United States, but first you pay a $250 deductible for the year. The Medigap foreign travel emergency coverage has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

When I buy my travel insurance I don't cover my prepaid costs (flights, hotels, etc.) as I am primarily looking for the medical and repatriation coverage. But the policy also includes trip interruption and delayed/lost luggage coverage. The policy is much less expensive this way. I've paid around $70 in the past, but as I've gotten older the price was a little over $100 this year.

The AXA policy that I purchased was primary medical coverage, meaning that I didn't have to send it to my US insurance company first.

The policy covers "urgent care", which is defined to mean everything other than a routtine check-up. For us, it's covered everything from treatment for blisters, to treatment and medication for bronchitis, and for two ambulance rides and treatment in a hospital emergency room after I passed out in a restaurant.

Coverage depends on your particular policy. There was, though, a $10 deductible I had to pay out-of-pocket.
Interesting— Kaisers Summer bulletin.. was giving an international 800# and a Partner that is involved… their general coverage would be for everyone-the only difference is the deductible..
you said it covered Blister treatments— you guys went to the hospital for blister treatments? It sounds like you guys had an adventure… Bronchitis, two ambulance rides and passing out-was it the heat that caused it? Ohh my… hopefully you guys are home now-and you have no residual lingering effects 🫶🏻

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Currently reviewing travel insurance options and have noted feedback regarding Allianz in particular, as they are one of the companies. Curious if anyone has had experience with AXA? Impressed to see that they provide assistance to replace lost identity documents as well as assistance in the event of identity theft.
I purchased AXA for our upcoming Camino this September. I did some research b4 I purchased and found very good reviews for them. They were actually one of the highest rated travel insurance companies that I found. They also are primary, which means you do not have to submit to your own insurance first. Of course, I haven’t traveled yet, therefore, no claims. Unfortunately, we have to wait until you have a claim to know 100% how good they are!

I bought one from Allianz this time, annual type, but no claim needed so far.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
allianz is horrible. i had a legit medical claim and wasted many hours on the phone being given the run around by them- it took over 6 months to be resolved. incompetent. highly recommend not to use!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For US travelers on Medicare, the Medigap plans cover some medical expenses while traveling (80% for emergencies, max $50,000, 60 day max). From https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/does-medicare-cover-me-outside-the-us/
These Medigap plans cover foreign travel emergency care that begins in the first 60 days of your trip. They pay 80 percent of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the United States, but first you pay a $250 deductible for the year. The Medigap foreign travel emergency coverage has a lifetime limit of $50,000.
Interesting— Kaisers Summer bulletin.. was giving an international 800# and a Partner that is involved… their general coverage would be for everyone-the only difference is the deductible..
you said it covered Blister treatments— you guys went to the hospital for blister treatments? It sounds like you guys had an adventure… Bronchitis, two ambulance rides and passing out-was it the heat that caused it? Ohh my… hopefully you guys are home now-and you have no residual lingering effects 🫶🏻
My point on my earlier post was simply that one should check the coverage they already have before spending lots of money for extra insurance they might not need. Our particular plan -- Kaiser's Senior Advantage Plan -- covers us for all medical expenses incurred abroad (except for routine check-ups. There's a $10 deductible. Other health insurance plans, such as so-called medigap plans, and even other plans offered by Kaiser, or other insurers, whether for seniors or non-seniors, may offer different, or even no coverage. So check your plan!

And no, we did not go to the hospital for blisters. My wife went to a local clinic to have her foot bandaged up, and Kaiser paid us back the modest expense incurred. Ditto when I went to a local clinic because I had bronchitis. But I did go to the hospital when I suddenly passed out. I was just trying to give an example of the range of coverage -- from the sublime to the ridiculous, as it ere.

And we've also made use of the coverage provided by our credit cards when we had to cancel plane and hotel reservations because of an injury incurred abroad.

Again, different people will have different -- or no -- coverage, but it doesn't hurt to check before you incur (possibly) needless extra expense.

Last edited:
I purchased AXA for our upcoming Camino this September. I did some research b4 I purchased and found very good reviews for them. They were actually one of the highest rated travel insurance companies that I found. They also are primary, which means you do not have to submit to your own insurance first. Of course, I haven’t traveled yet, therefore, no claims. Unfortunately, we have to wait until you have a claim to know 100% how good they are!
Agreed… Primary Medical was crucial for me. I wasn’t interested in “trying to get reimbursed after I’ve left Country”-
I know one of the Moderators here had a broken wrist I think-and applauded AXA for their service.👍

My point on my earlier post was simply that one should check the coverage they already have before spending lots of money for extra insurance they might not need. Our particular plan -- Kaiser's Senior Advantage Plan -- covers us for all medical expenses incurred abroad (except for routine check-ups. There's a $10 deductible. Other health insurance plans, such as so-called medigap plans, and even other plans offered by Kaiser (or other insurers) may offer different, or even no coverage. So check your plan!

And no, we did not go to the hospital for blisters. My wife went to a local clinic to have her foot bandaged up, and Kaiser paid us back the modest expense incurred. Ditto when I went to a local clinic because I had bronchitis. But I did go to the hospital when I suddenly passed out. I was just trying to give an example of the range of coverage -- from the sublime to the ridiculous, as it ere.

And we've also made use of the coverage provided by our credit cards when we had to cancel plane and hotel reservations because of an injury incurred abroad.

Again, different people will have different -- or no -- coverage, but it doesn't hurt to check before you incur (possibly) needless extra expense.
I’m still “of Working age…”- I think Senior Advantage has limited options -based on the way it’s set up… which prob means I’d be ok…
I’m feeling ok about the $450 fee for travel insurance from Tin Leg- the advantage of having all services in one spot— medical evacuation, repatriation of me- if necessary , trip interruption, missed flights, lost luggage, 24 hr Svcs-—so many benefits- the peace of mind is…. As they say “priceless “🫶🏻

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know one of the Moderators here had a broken wrist I think-and applauded AXA for their service.
Yes, that was me. I broke my wrist in Portugal and had two surgeries there.
Primary Medical was crucial for me. I wasn’t interested in “trying to get reimbursed after I’ve left Country”-
Travel medical insurance, even when it's primary normally does not directly pay the provider. You need to pay up front, and send the bills in for reimbursement. That's how it worked for me, and AXA reimbursed me 100%.

Silver lining for me is that I paid with my credit card that I earn air miles with, and was reimbursed by check. Helped pay for my flights this year!

I see everyone suggesting AXA, all I can find is trips no longer than 45 days; mine will be in total around 90 days, so...AXA is out of question apparently, unless someone has a way around

I see everyone suggesting AXA, all I can find is trips no longer than 45 days; mine will be in total around 90 days, so...AXA is out of question apparently, unless someone has a way around
Maybe it depends on the country you live in. Last year I bought insurance from AXA for a two month trip.
@lt56ny lives in Mexico, and if I recall, he buys insurance from Mapfre.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.