• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain ponchos along the routes?

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very little rain if any! So, I’m hoping to save a bit of space in my backpack by not bringing one with me, and will buy one if needed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You probably can buy one, but what happens if the next town is several more hours away and you get caught in a rain storm? I wouldn't go anywhere in the Spring without rain protection. There's a reason why Galicia is green! 🌧️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looking at Google maps I see there are four outdoor shops in Tui so as J Willhaus says, you could wait until you are there? Though ... I wouldn't trust the chances of no rain in Galicia!

Looking at Google maps I see there are four outdoor shops in Tui so as J Willhaus says, you could wait until you are there? Though ... I wouldn't trust the chances of no rain in Galicia!
Thanks for this. Can you possibly write me the names of these shops? My googling is horrible!

I'll be walking the Camino Portugues central route and Spiritual Variant at about the same time, 4/16-5/1. I'm definitely bringing a good poncho and considering an umbrella. My original purpose for the umbrella was sun protection, however I don't anticipate the need for it so much in April as opposed to the sunnier summer months. For you umbrella users, do you recommend one for rain in addition to a poncho? I don't want to count on it, but it looks like the rain will be decreasing by the time I start.
Muito obrigada

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I ordered my ALTUS online from Oregon - I paid fast shipping and it was still less than buying it in Spain so I'm happy. Arrives tomorrow.

I'll be walking the Camino Portugues central route and Spiritual Variant at about the same time, 4/16-5/1. I'm definitely bringing a good poncho and considering an umbrella. My original purpose for the umbrella was sun protection, however I don't anticipate the need for it so much in April as opposed to the sunnier summer months. For you umbrella users, do you recommend one for rain in addition to a poncho? I don't want to count on it, but it looks like the rain will be decreasing by the time I start.
Muito obrigada
I had exactly the same thoughts this morning as I packed my bag. I am taking a big sun hat instead for sun and have enough rain gear if needed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back