Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations to do the first or last part of Frances

BalmainGirl

Apr 15, 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 12 days (2017)
Hi - I'm walking part of the Camino Frances from the 29th May for 12 days, and it is my first time walking any of the Caminos. I had decided to do the last 200km's or so from Ponteferrado or maybe a bit before then. But now am starting to feel that starting from St Jean might be a better option. I'm feeling a bit put off by the crowds that will increase in the last 100km, and love the idea of starting out with everyone, even if I'm not finishing (at least for this time). For those that have done the whole walk from St Jean to Santiago, did you enjoy the first part or the last part the most - in terms of scenery and the towns that you went through?
Thanks so much for your help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Don't worry about the crowds. Should you do that last 200k and love every minute, will you find the motivation to return? Fall into the "Been There, Done That" syndrome? Leaving Roncesvalles there is something almost intimidating as you stand near that Santiago de Compostela 790 kilometers sign post - a month later you are totally overwhelmed emotionally, spiritually, and physically as you walk triumphantly into Santiago. I am not putting you down, 200 kilometers is an accomplishment in it's own right but it cannot compare with that first time walk though Porta do Camiño headed for the cathedral and that 790 sign post in your back pocket! My opinion? Start at SJPP and walk as far as you can, see if this is what you really imagined, enjoy all which is offered, the scenery, the art, the architecture, the comaraderie then later, when you have the time, come back to SJPP and do it all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Mark McCarthy

Jun 5, 2015
Liverpool
www.facebook.com
CF 2014 2015
Lourdes 2 SdC 2016
Sarria 2 SdC April&Oct 2016 & (April 2018)
Camino Baztan June 2017
If you are planning on coming back to complete your journey then I would start at St Jean. If you are not sure you will come back, then do Ponferrada to Santiago so you get the complete sense of a journey. Whichever way you choose to go, have a great time. Buen Camino!

Hutton24

Dec 30, 2012
Camino Frances October 2013
Camino Frances April 2017
Last time I walked the CF I started in Pamplona. This time I am starting in SJPP and really looking forward to it. There are a few sections I will leave out in the middle. If I had a short time I think I would get to Astorga and walk from there because I loved it more. There are so many great parts to the Camino. What one person loves another will not. I'd suggest doing as much research and reading and watching YouTube vids as you can and then make your mind up. Your fly in/out port is important too. You have to get back to where you need to fly out from so that needs to factor in.
Whatever you decide you will have an awesome time. Make a decision, relax, don't let anyone put you off or try to change your mind - just go, experience it and have fun.
Buen Camino.

Reactions: MaryLynn

Rick M

Veteran Member
Dec 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
April ('16,'18, '19, 22)
Sept ('21, '23)
I don't think it makes the slightest difference. The Camino is a journey, not a destination. You will find what you are looking for (or not) on any of the stretches from any starting point. If you don't finish in Santiago, its likely that you will one day want that feeling that comes from walking into the square, but that can be in the future. That said, as Hutton24 pointed out, pick a convenient start/stop so you can get there and home with a minimum of fuss.

Any way you choose, Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides