Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scrubba Bag on

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Yes, I used one on the Camino del Norte last May. It saved my hands, as I usually get dermatitis from all the hand-washing. It worked OK when I had quite a few things to do for my husband as well as myself. I did not take it on the Frances in September when I only had a few things to do for myself - not worth the weight (although it doubles as a dry bag).

Reactions: t2andreo and Joodle

MichaelSG

Retired member
Jun 3, 2014
Singapore
Not enough
I've used it on two Caminos. I reckon it gets clothes a good bit cleaner than hand washing and is a bit less messy in bathrooms or more convenient at crowded washing stations. That said, is it worth the weight and space? That's hard to say. Neither is an issue for me so I will likely take it again on my next Cammino. It certainly is a luxury carry though as it is not necessary. BTW, my wife has problems with her hands and harsh soapy water. She brought robber gloves on our first Camino but threw them out after a few days. She figured out that her husband loved her so he did all the laundry. :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Mar 21, 2007
California
Listed in my signature
I think when you take 'optional' items (items that you don't really need but might be useful, ie. the Scrubba), you have to be willing to either carry the extra weight or be willing to ditch the item if you end up not using it. Unfortunately its only after a week or two that one tends to make these decisions and therefore one ends up carrying far too much weight at the worst possible time - the beginning of their Camino!

Why not pack your backpack with only the very essentials and start training with that. You'll soon realize if that's a good weight, too much, or if you can actually add a couple of 'optional' items without any undue stress.

Don't forget - you can buy any essential item in Spain. Maybe not the very day you need it, but most likely within 1-2 days.

Good luck.

Joodle

Oct 26, 2015
Washington state
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I think when you take 'optional' items (items that you don't really need but might be useful, ie. the Scrubba), you have to be willing to either carry the extra weight or be willing to ditch the item if you end up not using it. Unfortunately its only after a week or two that one tends to make these decisions and therefore one ends up carrying far too much weight at the worst possible time - the beginning of their Camino!

Why not pack your backpack with only the very essentials and start training with that. You'll soon realize if that's a good weight, too much, or if you can actually add a couple of 'optional' items without any undue stress.

Don't forget - you can buy any essential item in Spain. Maybe not the very day you need it, but most likely within 1-2 days.

Good luck.
A very good idea. It might change my mind on my "esentials"

scikowski

Mar 1, 2009
San Luis Obispo, California USA
Camino Frances 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014 Camino Portugues 2016
I am taking a 35 L dry bag this time. I like to have more than one reason to take anything in my pack. The dry bag can be used for laundry, for keeping pack contents dry if it is very rainy, or for checking my pack leaving Santiago because of my hiking poles. It is ultralight and takes up very little space.

Reactions: Joodle
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
@Joodle - the Scrubba is a great idea but with a few practice runs you could just as well use a normal drybag. I also get skin problems when hand washing a lot so I take a drybag as a washing machine and it helps a lot and works great.
I like the idea of using an ordinary dry bag! Lighter and cheaper too!

Reactions: Joodle
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

DowtyCamino

May 4, 2014
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Speaking of drying clothes. In 2014 on the CF we were blessed with only 1 day with rain in the entire 4w journey. I've heard from many on this forum about multiple days of heavy rain. If you encounter days and days of rain how do you handle drying your clothes. In my one experience, our clothes were clearly not dry by simply hanging them up inside the albergue. We needed the next day hiking with our clothes pinned to or backpack to allow them to dry. With multiple days of rain this wouldn't be possible....so what do you do? I'm sure there are some great tips out there.

Most read last week in this forum

We often read that Merino clothing does not smell as much with use, compared to other fabrics. Since my first Camino 9 years ago, I have always worn very lightweight (120 gsm) Merino shirts (by...
Hi all ... I have known for years that Goretex doesn't breathe when it is high humidity (or raining) .. noted because of how damp I would always become inside, as my sweat vapour turned back to...
Laundry Masher - Hmmm... on one hand may come very handy. on the other not sure we'll be able to make it through the plane security with that Grenade-looking contraption
We fly out in 4 days. I’ve tried major branded socks, three brands, and can’t wear wool. It feels hot and makes my feet hurt for three or four days after. Walking in cotton blend toe socks.. I...
This company has helped people with foot problems for many a long year.. A human story still connects, doesn't it?
I’m leaving in a week and the weather through the Meseta looks pretty cool at night 45 to 50°F. Is that too cold for a sleeping bag liner?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.