• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk liners can't take hot dryer? What do if bed bugs?

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season).

Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've found say not to dry them on high heat as they may shrink. Many say wash cold and line dry.

Even my quilt's care instructions actually say to dry on no-heat setting as it may melt the fabric used, and it's a synthetic quilt!

... should I be looking for a synthetic liner +/- sleeping bag that can take the heat of a 45C/113F dryer? I know I can use a freezer for 72+ hours as well but there's no chance of that on the Camino....

I didn't realize I couldn't dry this quilt or I wouldn't have bought it... :/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have dried my silk sleep sack on high heat as bed bug treatment. The key is to do it while it's dry. Shrinkage is more likely to occur when you put wet fabric into a hot dryer. To kill bed bugs all you need to do is to dry on high heat for about half an hour. If you want to wash the item afterwards do so according to manufacturer directions.

The necessary temperature to kill bugs and eggs is about 60°C.

Synthetics are more likely to melt than natural fiber fabrics.

I have dried my silk sleep sack on high heat as bed bug treatment. The key is to do it while it's dry. Shrinkage is more likely to occur when you put wet fabric into a hot dryer. To kill bed bugs all you need to do is to dry on high heat for about half an hour. If you want to wash the item afterwards do so according to manufacturer directions.

Thanks, I was basing 45C on that pinned thread in Equipment about de-bedbugging gear post Camino.

Guess I'm going to find a dry-able quilt now. At least I can use this quilt for backpacking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got bedfbugs on the Norte in 2017 and ran my silk liner and all other gear through a commercial dryer for 90 minutes at the highest heat setting. Killed the bugs without damaging my pack or other items as far as I could see. I'm still using the sleep sack and most of the other things seven years later.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have some time, stuff it in a plastic bag and put it in a freezer for 3-4 days at -20°C ... does the job and would not destroy any fabric, shoes or whatever.

I got bedfbugs on the Norte in 2017 and ran my silk liner and all other gear through a commercial dryer for 90 minutes at the highest heat setting. Killed the bugs without damaging my pack or other items as far as I could see. I'm still using the sleep sack and most of the other things seven years later.
I did the same and no harm done. I wouldn’t have dreamt of putting all my stuff through a commercial dryer normally but it was more important to get rid of the critters!!! It was all ok, nothing damaged.
If at home and if you have a chest freezer, then put your things in there for a few days. Not practical on the camino though 😉

And that is also true for our merino wool items. I was scared to do this but found no shrinkage when my merino clothing was DRY ( also getting rid of bed bugs)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all, I know many people do not like to talk about chemicals, but I stand by the use of Permethrin if one follows its instructions and regulations properly. I have been hiking, and camping for over 30 years, and Permethrin has been the best invention yet. I spray my clothes, my shoes, my backpacks, my sleeping bags, bed liners, all equipment except underwear, even my socks get sprayed. I have never had a physical or mental issue while using this product. I used it in 2014 when I did my Camino, and in Tick infested locations on the Appalachian Trail, and No bites!!! Again Permethrin is a spray that can only be sprayed outside in a well ventilated area, and the clothes or equipment need to be completely dried before bringing it back in the house or touching it. After it dries it has no smell, and the product last on the clothes a long while as long as when washed is air dried, and away from full sun. I’m not a product representative, just speaking out of experience. Hope this helps! Buen Camino

If you have some time, stuff it in a plastic bag and put it in a freezer for 3-4 days at -20°C ... does the job and would not destroy any fabric, shoes or whatever.
A professional exterminator tried 4 days at -40 degrees, and the bugs revived after they warmed up. Freezing apparently doesn’t work as well as we would like.

I pulled out an old outdoor blanket that can be dried and will take that on my Camino instead. A little heavier but I guess it's worth the peace of mind that I could dry it if needed.

@darealdeal77 I'll be spraying my stuff with permethrin too, but permethrin doesn't kill bedbugs instantly - they have to contact it and then after 1-2 hours they die, is my understanding.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This is 100% the right answer. I ran my silk liner through a hot drier as often as possible along with my ‘sleep set’ (usually every day) with no issues. With my backpack in a plastic bag and sealed and everything else in closed dry bags the only thing that could get bed bugs was the stuff I was sleeping in. Every morning I put all my sleeping gear inside its dry bag and sealed it. When I got to the albergue I would put those items in the drier dry including the dry bag (that’s like saying dry 5 times fast) to ensure anything on them was killed. Was it overkill? Probably. But it gave me peace of mind and I never was bitten despite seeing bed bugs 3 times right at the end of the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I pulled out an old outdoor blanket that can be dried and will take that on my Camino instead. A little heavier but I guess it's worth the peace of mind that I could dry it if needed.

@darealdeal77 I'll be spraying my stuff with permethrin too, but permethrin doesn't kill bedbugs instantly - they have to contact it and then after 1-2 hours they die, is my understanding.
The idea is not to get them near you! I don’t know if it kills them or not! I know that some insects die immediately on contact of Permethrin, but the repelling of the bugs is most important! I know we did not get bothered by any bugs on the Camino!

The idea is not to get them near you! I don’t know if it kills them or not! I know that some insects die immediately on contact of Permethrin, but the repelling of the bugs is most important!
Permethrin doesn't repel them or kill them on contact. I have been bitten while inside my permethrin treated silk sleep sack. I use the permethrin because it does kill them over time because I don't want to be the pilgrim who is transporting bed bugs from albergue to albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I second this excellent answer 😜

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's an excellent post from @davebugg about prevention and treatment of bed bugs. Note that he says that you can use a lower temperature, but it will take longer. Also that permethrin is a repellent for some insects (but not bed bugs)

As a Pilgrim, what if you suspect, or learn about a bedbug exposure (bites, or seeing evidence of bedbugs) within a communal sleeping area? If possible, try to treat yourself, your gear, and clothing before continuing on to your next destination. You do not want to accidentally drag the critters to your next Albergue or casa rural, hotel, etc.
  1. Try to be discreet with your concerns. Quietly inform the lodging staff about what you suspect.
  2. Contain all your belongings in your backpack.
  3. Locate a dryer which can reach above 130F/55c. Although adult bedbugs, nymphs, and eggs are killed at temperatures above 115f/46.2c., the lower the temperature, the longer the treatment time will take.
  4. You do not need to do a washing cycle. It does not kill off an infestation.
  5. If you have an hour, put all soft gear (backpack, sleeping bag, etc.) and clothing into the dryer and run it for 60 minutes at 115f/46.2c or above. This will be the most gentle on fabrics.
  6. To shorten treatment, run the dryer at 135f/57.22c for 20 minutes.
  7. When your clothing has been treated, you may wish to change out of the clothing you are wearing, bag and seal it up, and then keep that bag sealed until you can dry heat treat those clothes.

So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season).

Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've found say not to dry them on high heat as they may shrink. Many say wash cold and line dry.

Even my quilt's care instructions actually say to dry on no-heat setting as it may melt the fabric used, and it's a synthetic quilt!

... should I be looking for a synthetic liner +/- sleeping bag that can take the heat of a 45C/113F dryer? I know I can use a freezer for 72+ hours as well but there's no chance of that on the Camino....

I didn't realize I couldn't dry this quilt or I wouldn't have bought it... :/
Common wisdom on line is the use of a silk liner. But on two Caminos, both SJPDP to Santiago, around 30+ days, Apr/May and Sep/Oct, can't ever recall seeing a silk liner on a bunk. Every bunk had a sleeping bag. My sleeping bag was a $30 bag purchased online. Held up for two Caminos and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been advised to carry a thermolite fleece liner as I’m walking Norte in high summer and better as an anti bed bug product. Is this true?

Did whoever advised you give a reason? I can't imagine why that type of liner would be any different from another. Your head is still exposed and there is a big opening at the top for you and the bedbugs to climb in.

Some type of sleeping bag or liner is good for general hygiene, though.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.