• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Finisterre in March 2012

KyleJ

Hello,

By some miracle, I will actually have time and funds to walk El Camino Frances this coming March. I would love to make the full trip from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre, and I'm wondering, for anyone who has made that trip before, how much time should I give myself for the journey? How many rest days did you take/do you think are necessary? I'm a fast walker, but I don't want to rush it. I'm expecting rain and have been looking through other posts on the subject, but if you have any additional tips, they would be much appreciated.

Buen Camino,
Kyle

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
36 - 38 days to Santiago and another 3 - 4 days to Finsiterre.
Listen to the locals in St Jean and if they say don't cross the mountain on the Route Napoleon, don't!
I have never taken rest days as such but have often walked shorter days so that there is a long day of rest after walking 10 or 12km.
I have a post on my blog for Walking in Spring.
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/04/w ... pring.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is no definative answer when it comes to the amount of time you will need to complete the journey from SJPP to Finisterre. Falcon's response demonstrates a range of opinion, but it really depends on the individual. Those who walk the Camino, and for that matter post to this forum, vary greatly in terms of age, physical ability, the desire to slog casually along vs. keeping a brisk pace and other factors.

Suggestions in guidebooks try to apply collectively to the greatest number of people; taken on an individual level however they may suggest too much or too little territory to be covered in the average day.

I've done the same walk in March 2010. Issues worth noting that may affect your timing:

1. There were a few days of heavy rain coupled with gale force wind, periods of heavy snow over mountains as well as many days of glorious sunshine. By far the biggest obsticle was mud; not just on the surface but in some areas with depths well above ankle level. This both because of the heavy rains as well as snow melt streaming down from higher grounds. You may decide you want to take a day or so off along the way, particularly if you encounter severe weather or if you just want a break from it all.

2. Life seems to go into hybernation during the winter. In many places you will find that it has not yet sprung alive. At the end of the day's walk there may be little to do. It is unlike other times of year when outdoor cafes and other activites make it conducive toward stopping earlier to enjoy the local offerings. Instead, feet and energy level willing, you may want to walk longer days than you otherwise might at a different time of year.

I've repeated the same Camino in autum of 2010. Completely different demographics of pilgrim. In March they were on average much younger, appeared heartier, and in general maintained a quicker pace (albiet there were still those of all ages and all paces --- this is my general observation).

3. Although the way may be isloated, companionship is always available. You'll have the option of just how much time you want to spend in self introspection. You may also want to stay within a certain group of new found friends and so keep pace with them.

Personally I enjoyed the energy that came with maintaining a brisk pace. I was there to walk and wanted to keep doing so to the fullest every day. On average I put in eight to nine hour days, allowing for coffee and lunch stops. I found equal minded people and had no lack of companionship whenever desired. The trek from SJPP to Santiago took 21 days, then a further three days to Finisterre. Many might argue that this sort of pace rushs things too much. It just worked for me but may not for the majority of people. I was fortunate not to have any significant foot or other health concerns. On the flip side there are those that would prefer twice that amount of time.

Not to confuse an answer to your question, but again there is such a wide range depending on the individual. If you can spare the time and have the financial means, overplan the amount of days that you think you might need. It is nice to spend two or so days in Santiago either before or after going on to Finisterre. And if time permits there are other places within reasonable travel distance from Santiago in which to spend a few of the excess days. Having extra time myself I took a train from Santiago to Porto, Portugal and spent a few days there, then went onto Fatima for a day. In the later period of the month the cities and towns wake out of their winter slumber.

Buen Camino!

Wow, this was very quick, very helpful information. I'm adding this to my Camino folder, though of course, each answer has brought up new questions. For those who have walked in the snow, how did you navigate with covered markers? Where were you able to stay with numerous albergues closed? Finally, I've got ideas for waterproofing, but did anyone find a special trick to handling mud?

Thanks again!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Actually you raise a number of other points with your questions.

As for the markers, those yellow arrows, there are enough of them and they are generally above any snow line in areas where snow might be an issue. There is no need to worry much about them being covered. However definately heed Sill's advice out of St. Jean - "if the locals say don't cross the mountain on the Route Napoleon, don't!" This is where people do get lost in the snow and fog and can lose their life! Otherwise it is a spectacular section of the Camino.

Going over the mountain pass beyond O'Cebriero I was caught in a blizzard. Word went out to some of the albergues the night before telling pilgrims to stay where they were and not try to venture out on the following day. Unfortunately that advice was never recieved at the alburgue where I and several others were staying. In the morning we continued over the mountain pass in a blinding snow storm. Fortunately we got to Fonfria and could stop before the storm worsened. Not everyone who was out there got to shelter as easily. Throughout the remainder of the day the Civil Guard was out plucking pilgrims off the mountain and bringing them into the albergue. This was an extreme condition which I do not believe happens very often. The irony of it is that in retrospect that was my favorite day on the entire Camino. And once we were all safely at the alburgue in Fonfria we had an incredible evening.

There were more than enough alburgues that remained open in March. Finding one was never a problem and obviously overcrowding was never an issue.

Weather is unpredictable from year to year. I started in SJPP as the worst snow storm in 60 years approached the area. It had already been an exceptional year for snow in 2010, as a consequence by March the runoff that flowed down to the lower elevations made things extremely muddy. Despite all of that, if I were to choose a time of year to go again I would probably prefer March. Most days were perfect for walking, the snow covered mountains made a spectacular backdrop, temperatures for the most part were very comfortable and the Camino was uncrowded.

By letting common sense prevail and taking the advice of locals along the way you will have a trouble free Camino, feet and body willing! All the advice on this forum can make one overly concerned. Don't let our "beware of this or beware of that" type advice deter your enthusiasm. Everyone here offers advice in the spirit of helpfulness and encouragement. As is also evident, almost without exception we've all had a profoundly positive overall experience. That sums it all up!

Beun Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fantastic. No, I'm not being swayed by the "beware this or beware that" comments. They're valuable. "Beware" is just a contraction of "Be aware" anyway, and I believe in being prepared. One more question about finding places to stay. How are albergues and refugios marked? Do they tend to be close to the Camino itself, or is some navigating through the villages/cities required to find them?

Albergues are very easy to find. Many of the pueblos (villages) that the Camino passes through have one main road. The albergues tend to be either right on that road or a few meters back with clear directions for finding them. In addition to the many internet sites and guides online an in guide books, the pilgrim office in St. Jean provides a comprehesive list of the albergues throughout the entire Camino.

Below is a link to one particular website that provides a list of albergues, the times of year that they are open and a short description of amenities. I found it to be very helpful, you might too.

http://www.spanishsteps.eu/camino-franc ... mmodation/

Hi Kyle
Like you I'm starting my first Camino in March. March 4 to be exact. I've been planning this trip for awhile. And as the days go on. Getting more and more excited. Camino veterans have been an invaluable source of information. I say lean on them for as much as you can squeeze outta them. Good Luck Kyle.
Aryk

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in March 2008 and LOVED, loved, loved it. It was a great time to walk...I always (and easily) found an albergue to sleep in; the weather was really quite good (snow and cold in the higher elevations but mainly very pleasant walking weather; very relaxed...you could be completely alone and walk without seeing others, or, you could walk with others if you chose. I found it to be ideal...I also had fairly great weather with very little rain. I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 28 days (27 if you subtract my one "rest" day). I took a day to visit dear friends who live quite close to the route and although I was delgihted to see them, I would not have wanted a "rest" day otherwise. It just felt weird to me to not be walking and to be with "normal" people as opposed to pilgrims. Because there were fewer pilgrims this time of year, it was a really special feeling...like you knew all the pilgrims, and you kind of did...I didn't have this same experience on summer/spring caminos and starting in Sarria it was very strange to see "strangers" as really, everyone else you saw the whole route, you had talked to and felt that you knew. Have a great time. People will write here that it is the off season and albergues will be closed but I had no trouble finding albergues to sleep in. Yes, there are some that are closed but the hospitaleros at the previous albergues can tell you which are opened/closed so you can plan your days accordingly. When there was snow, I chose to walk on the main (cleared) road for certain parts of the route which I would recommend...others trod through the snow and had some difficulty in finding markers (depending, obvioulsy, on the amount of snow).

Hi guys, am interested to read these posts and I wanted to say Hi to my fellow pilgrims. I am starting my first camino from Pamplona, arriving 5th March, starting 6th March. I had wanted to do the camino from SJPP but I feel called to do March and I decided Pamplona was a safer bet for me on my own for the first time. We may not meet but we will be on the Way at the same time - so Ultreya and Buen Camino! Alexandra

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back