• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag for november

Aline

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances(2014)
Hello walkers, I have a question, if anyone could help me with that; I will start the Camino Frances now in November and would like to know which sleeping bag should I bring with me, I have a season 1 (limit +10), will this be enough, or should I buy a season 2(limit +2)?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked in early February this year and had a 0 deg bag. I was so so grateful for it when there was no heating in the hostels. Other times, I wore just a singlet top and underpants to bed but I was rarely roasting. A couple I met carried 10+ bags and said they regretted the decision. Although Falcon gives you good advice regarding the season 1 bag, I would personally go season 2 and open the bag up if you are too hot. I carried a silk sleeping sheet cut open which I used as a pillow case but then had the option of using it as an under sheet if I wanted. I never needed to.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola and welcome to the forum.

Sleeping bag questions are hard to advice on, as all have different needs, depending on how sensitive one is to temperature.
Personally I need to not be cold at night to sleep well, so I brought a -5/-8 on a winter camino and was happy for this decision.
As it has been said, many albergues have blankets, as well as some albergues has no heat, so it varies from place to place, how warm or cold a night will be.
Here are some advices regarding sleeping bags:

• Use an inner silk or fleece liner/bag.
A silk liner adds about 5° degree celsius to the bag and a fleece 8°.
On winter camping/trekking two liners are often used as the effect adds up and the liners are light weight.

• The sleeping bag does not make you warm.
It function as a thermo and isolate you.
This mean that it contains the warmth/heat you put in, so make some gymnastic before you enter and you will sleep warmer.
Think of the difference of poring cold or hot water into a thermo.

• Wear a beanie, scarf, long johns, gloves, cloth while sleeping.

• Unpack your sleeping bag early before going to sleep as the down/synthetic needs to unfold to provide maximum insulation.

• Do use a sleeping bag that matches your size. A to large result in to much air that needs to be heated and a to small result in to little air to provide best insulation.

• Put some hot water in your 0.5 water bottle and bring it into the sleeping bag.

• Never go hungry to bed. Energy equals heat.

• Remember to go to bathroom and pee off before going to bed.
The body uses a huge amount of energy if you are in a state that needs to go to the bathroom.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I am now on my fourth November/December camino (currently within sight of snow on the southern approaches to the sierra de Guadarrama, a couple of days north of Toledo) and I've never carried a sleeping bag, always finding the albergue blankets adequate when combined with my liner (and, if necessary, some merino clothes).

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back