• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So annoyed at myself!

angie

I bought a 32l backpack, thought it would be ample as im really scrapping the barrel to the limit of what im carrying with me.
Iv packed, repacked, unpacked time and time again but nope, i cant fit what i need into it.

I bought it on the basis that it was so light, weighs next to nothing so thought i was being clever, now however iv got to rush out tomorrow and buy a bigger one, plus i stuck my camino badge on it with super glue (fabric glue wouldnt stick)!
And, everything im taking is stuff i do need, not just 'might need' and mainly flippin medication.

I bought the lightest possible of everything aswell, thinking id be fine, but i cant even fit my sandals in it.

It was a northface vetro 32.

Any one with a quick suggestion as what other pack is bigger but just as light as times limited now, i leave tomorrow night. Oh, and i broke my middle toe last night, and the night before that i put my foot through a plastic chair whilst standing on it to close a window, which iv always done, never had a problem before and then wham, big chunk of skin taken out my calf and swollen ankle.

Just when i felt the gods were against me and surely nothing else could go wrong, my packs let me down.
Advice on packs, lightest weight possible, and ill just draw my camino badge on the side haha.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First breathe! Then take the pack with you so you can be sure the dimensions are bigger! Maybe even bring your stuff in the car so you can try fitting it in? The people in REI and EMS were always very helpful. I'm sure you'll get someone to help you. Then maybe sell off the pack on this forum or a Camino FB group? Pre tagged no less. You've saved them all that work!

And another possibility, you've had your camino ailments early, so it'll be smooth (er) sailing from this point on, just giving you a great story to tell later!

Buen camino!

Definitely take everything with you to the store to make sure it fits in the pack. Then wear the pack around the store (including up and down stairs if available) for a good hour or so to see how comfortably it wears.

As a side note, you can get from 10-20% variation on actual versus reported pack size. Thus one 32 litre pack can actually hold significantly less than another 32 litre pack.

I assume you've talked with your doctor about care for your broken toe as you hike. If not, that's a pretty important discussion to have.

My hope and prayers are that this will get better for you as you go, and that your present struggles will bear fruit of their own for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Angie! Bless you! That's something any of us might have done :)
I've just bought a new back-pack [see my pic] which is 40L [Mountain warehouse] and it's just big enough for a 3 week camino.
Try returning the too-small one: if not possible, keep it for shorter day-breaks.
Be happy .... and "smile" :rolleyes: - the camino awaits you!

Sorted :) ran out this morning, ok hobbled, and bought a new pack, 60l osprey thinking well, i'll have plenty of space now if i do pick up the odd trinket or something along the way. And im keeping the 32l as its a lovely light pack and will be useful for all the trekking i'll be doing when i get back from the camino because ill be addicted to walking ;)
Thanks for the support. Now all iv got to do is WALK EAT SLEEP AND REPEAT everyday for as long as my way will take.
Hope to meet some of you lovely peeps along the way. (iv got coffee sachets and biscuits ) so im sure i'll be popular :p
PS/ i managed to rip my camino badge off the other pack so now its safety pinned onto my new one.
Beun Camino dudes ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh...so glad you posted!! Been thinking about you this morning and hoping it would go well!! Yeah!! You've got your gear, now get on that plane and enjoy your Camino!! Buen Camino Perigrina!!

2 things caught my attention in your note Angie. First the amount of medication you need carry is so much it limits other things? Just don't push too hard is what I am thinking if you have serious health issues. Many people have a compulsion to "keep up" with the flow of pilgrims and even healthy people can hurt themselves if they push too hard.

Second your toe .............. this might be more significant then you realize ....... consider using a service to carry your pack for a while if this bothers your walking. A broken toe could cause you to walk "funny" so you need to stretch your legs and so forth after each day so you don't get tendonitis or develop ankle/foot problems - most significantly blisters.

Hope things work out for you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Angie, perhaps if you didn't pack the coffee sachets and biscuits you'd fit it all in the smaller pac

Most definitely take your eat to the store with you. Or even better, make the pack work. I'll bet you can jettison even more stuff. "Less really is more"! You will be surprised to discover all the things you DO NOT NEED on the Camino...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are at the end of the day advantages to a larger pack. You get more support from the hip and shoulder straps, it's easier to repack in the am and you can better organize the contents.

One approach to using the 32litre would be to get a waterproof 2litre / 5 / 10litre as needed, dry-bag or tube, and lash it to top/side/bottom of 32litre one. Not elegant. But allows you to use 32l and maybe keeps certain to hand w/o opening main pack.
But if you're sorted, that's grand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would do some serious analysis of why the 32 liter pack won't work -- I'm suspecting there are things you're bringing that really aren't as essential as they seem. The medications need to be in the smallest containers you can find with no extra space. The Northface Vetro 32 is a very clean, elegant pack. There are options for fitting more in, however. For example you can place your rain jacket or polar fleece jacket between the main compartment and the top compartment. That makes it easy to get to if needed. The compression straps on the side of pack can also have things stuffed under them. A 60 liter pack is pretty big. You may be tempted, because of all that room, to take along that extra luxury item and end up with a pack load weighing more than 15 pounds, much to your regret.

Okay, so I am stressing...I am leaving for Europe (Germany) in 5 days and for Spain in 9. My Deuter 28l feels very comfortable but I'm having problems because even with cutting things out, it looks too bulky.

I am actually starting to walk on May 27th...do you think I could cut out my lightweight fleece. Would I need it in the albergues at night? I know walking that in no time I'll be taking it off as I am sure the exertion will have me warm.

This is how my pack looks now...ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400194688.811182.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

My Deuter 28l feels very comfortable but I'm having problems because even with cutting things out, it looks too bulky.

I am actually starting to walk on May 27th...do you think I could cut out my lightweight fleece. Would I need it in the albergues at night? I know walking that in no time I'll be taking it off as I am sure the exertion will have me warm.
I would opt for comfort over looks. Yes, the protruding bag might be a bit awkward, but the flower makes up for it.

If you are like most Flordian's I know, I would recommend you bring the fleece. I was fine last summer at the same time without a fleece, but a gal I walked with for a couple stages was cold in the mornings and evenings, even on the warmer days. If you are acclimated to cooler weather, it's probably less of an issue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually, if you look closer at the flower, you will see it a little chewed up (compliments of my cat).

Well, while I live in FL, I am from NY originally, plus getting closer to 50, I run hot :)...

Okay, so I am stressing...I am leaving for Europe (Germany) in 5 days and for Spain in 9. My Deuter 28l feels very comfortable but I'm having problems because even with cutting things out, it looks too bulky.

This is how my pack looks now...View attachment 9909

Hello Kris, well, I guess that I would opt that you keep it in your pack. The weather can and maybe will get cool enough after you are done hiking for the day that you may wish that you had it. Just a thought is how important is this fleece to you regarding of you DID decide that you did not want it could you handle leaving it at one of the Albergues for someone else? I guess it depends on how attached to it that you are. Another thing that you can do is buy another one while en route if you were in fact cold...I had a fleece and a coat in my pack. Decided to leave my fleece at home but take the coat. If you also have a coat then maybe just leave it at home as you may not need both. Hope that I have helped in your decision.

Buen Camino.

Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, so I am stressing...I am leaving for Europe (Germany) in 5 days and for Spaiyoun in 9. My Deuter 28l feels very comfortable but I'm having problems because even with cutting things out, it looks too bulky.

This is how my pack looks now...View attachment 9909

Hi Kris,
I am confused why the #1 recommendation here seems to be smaller, smaller, smaller, packs! All that matters is overall weight and comfort, not liters capacity. If your gear doesn't fit in your pack then first eliminate unnecessary gear. But don't leave behind basic necessities! I would highly recommend a light fleece for evenings and mornings, and rain gear is a necessity.

Living out of a pack for any length of time is no fun when it is stuffed to the gills. Better to have some flexible space. Where will you carry your picnics?

If you are comfortable in the deuter 28, I strongly recommend considering a deuter 45+10 instead.

If it's a light weight fleece, I 'd take it. I used mine practically every day, ok for only a few hours (early morning and late evening) but I was really cold several times, especially if you are carrying-on to Fisterra or Muxia.

Hi Kris,
I am confused why the #1 recommendation here seems to be smaller, smaller, smaller, packs! All that matters is overall weight and comfort, not liters capacity. If your gear doesn't fit in your pack then first eliminate unnecessary gear. But don't leave behind basic necessities! I would highly recommend a light fleece for evenings and mornings, and rain gear is a necessity.

Living out of a pack for any length of time is no fun when it is stuffed to the gills. Better to have some flexible space. Where will you carry your picnics?

If you are comfortable in the deuter 28, I strongly recommend considering a deuter 45+10 instead.
Actually, I like the Deuter brand, and just underestimated how much of my stuff would fit. I actually took out the fleece from inside and put it under the upper flap. My niece in Germany has the larger one and I'll see what is best when I visit them before heading for Spain. At this point I can't buy nor afford to buy a larger one.

As for picnics, I have a compartment up top that will fit some nourishment, but I am not planning for the most part to carry too much in food.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, I like the Deuter brand, and just underestimated how much of my stuff would fit.

Hola Kris
Not long for your now. Not knowing everyone's financial circumstances, I hesitated to reply to your stress call. I know you have done a lot of research for this trip and to change/buy anything new is a but costly.

I walked 1st camino with too large a pack and was envious of those with smaller weights, so last year walked with same brand/colour and flower as you! But a 35l act lite. Just that much bigger and had such a roomy space at the bottom to put the sleeping bag, sandals, jacket and Altus poncho, and still squeeze lot in around). I think you might be surprised just what you can fit in yours. It doesn't look too full to me? What does it weigh all packed now ?

Not sure on perfect packing but I thought it best to have sleeping bag and heavier stuff at bottom of pack, so it is riding on your hips. Maybe your relatives in Germany may have a smaller sleeping bag you can borrow that., if you can't borrow a slightly larger pack. Your sleeping bag appears large in the photo?

There is no rain cover with the 35l act lite, which is why I picked up the Altus poncho in sjpdp last year. It got very little use as I ran into almost no rain.

Regarding the fleece though, if you don't have any other warm gear or jacket, I would take the fleece, I wouldn't want to rely on the Altus poncho as my 'throw on' jacket to keep warm when walking about in the evenings or day even though you can clip the hump ! Mine was really long and it was quite a sweaty exercise walking up the Orrison for the last half in it. It covers everything well though .

Buen camino Kris

Annie

Thank you, Annie. I've got a couple of days till I leave (wow, now I am talking days!) and I am going to see how I can maneuver things.

As for the sleeping bag, I don't have one but a blanket which rolls up like a tiny sleeping bag. If I am too warm, I can't sleep.

Unfortunately, I am short but not petite, (although I probably could be and hopefully get into better shape with this Camino) so my fleece while lightweight, is bulky.

Something will work out...just got to figure it out.

As for the sleeping bag, I don't have one but a blanket which rolls up like a tiny sleeping bag. If I am too warm, I can't sleep.

CaminoKris,
I'm sorry to add something to your pack dilemma but .... Are you thinking that you will lay on the blanket and put nothing over you? You definitely will want something between you and the mattresses.

Regarding the light weight fleece. I agree that you can buy a fleece along the way. However, if you have carefully selected a compact, lightweight fleece, the "available along the Camino" fleece options might be bulkier and heavier than what you have now. When I wanted to buy flip flops in France. I had many options but each pair weighed three times as much as what I had left at home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
CaminoKris,
I'm sorry to add something to your pack dilemma but .... Are you thinking that you will lay on the blanket and put nothing over you? You definitely will want something between you and the mattresses.

Regarding the light weight fleece. I agree that you can buy a fleece along the way. However, if you have carefully selected a compact, lightweight fleece, the "available along the Camino" fleece options might be bulkier and heavier than what you have now. When I wanted to buy flip flops in France. I had many options but each pair weighed three times as much as what I had left at home.
No, I have a silk liner, and will use blanket over me

No, I have a silk liner, and will use blanket over me

Perfect! You could always knot the fleece around your waist if it's fiddly to pack.
As for food, if it's something that will squash like tomatoes, you can carry it in a separate plastic bag on the outside of your pack, you won't have to carry it for long.

You will be absolutely fine I am sure, the last days are always a bit of a panic (well, they were for me anyway) but the minute you arrive all will fall into place.
Buen camino Kris!

Perfect! You could always knot the fleece around your waist if it's fiddly to pack.
As for food, if it's something that will squash like tomatoes, you can carry it in a separate plastic bag on the outside of your pack, you won't have to carry it for long.

You will be absolutely fine I am sure, the last days are always a bit of a panic (well, they were for me anyway) but the minute you arrive all will fall into place.
Buen camino Kris!

Thanks, domigee. I agree with you...it's just that when I originally packed with the fleece in the pack, it made it where the pack was stuffed. I took it out and put it under the top flap, also making it easier when I am on plane to get it easily.

Can anyone tell me how small the Altrus packs up?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We'll I was planning on getting an Altrus poncho, and wondering if that would be better overall.

Hi Kris.
I am leaving in 9 days and stressing over my pack. It is weighing in at 7 kg which is a little over what I was planning but don't know what else to cut out. I ordered the Altus poncho and love it. Means I don't need to carry any other wet weather gear. Looking forward to meeting up with you in Roncesvalles. Safe travels

Can anyone tell me how small the Altus packs up?
Hi Kris
Well you just sent me on an Altus hunt! I thought, where did I put it? It was in an obvious place, eventually .

I've taken a pic of mine, it doesn't come in a compression bag but it has it's own little Baggie. It can squash a little more than shown. I've put a 600ml water bottle beside it to give you an idea., also my normal size iPad.

Now mine is medium. I had ordered small but ended up with medium. It is quite long, so maybe the small will pack up and take less space.

Good luck. It's all systems go now !
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400329221.210397.jpg

Issy T can you tell me where you ordered your Altrus from please? Cost, and how long for delivery?
I haven't been able to locate one. Even if I don't need or use it on this Camino I'm sure that I'll put it to good use at some point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kris.
I am leaving in 9 days and stressing over my pack. It is weighing in at 7 kg which is a little over what I was planning but don't know what else to cut out. I ordered the Altus poncho and love it. Means I don't need to carry any other wet weather gear. Looking forward to meeting up with you in Roncesvalles. Safe travels
Most definitely, Issy...most definitely! Also thinking that as I need to build myself up and the first 2 days from SJPDP to Roncesvalle is 25+ km not including elevation, I might take an easy day and also stop sooner than I planned.

Hi Kris
Well you just sent me on an Altus hunt! I thought, where did I put it? It was in an obvious place, eventually .

I've taken a pic of mine, it doesn't come in a compression bag but it has it's own little Baggie. It can squash a little more than shown. I've put a 600ml water bottle beside it to give you an idea., also my normal size iPad.

Now mine is medium. I had ordered small but ended up with medium. It is quite long, so maybe the small will pack up and take less space.

Good luck. It's all systems go now !
View attachment 9949
Wonderful I am going to get mine in SJPDP.

Issy T can you tell me where you ordered your Altrus from please? Cost, and how long for delivery?
I haven't been able to locate one. Even if I don't need or use it on this Camino I'm sure that I'll put it to good use at some point.
I got it on line. Barrabas was the shop in Spain that I ordered it from and they sent it over. I think all up it was about $80 Australian including postage. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it by Tuesday. Amazing service. Only problem was I could only order a small one for some reason. I am only short so it is long enough for me but the arms are a little short but not much. It is about e same size as in the photo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
S
Most definitely, Issy...most definitely! Also thinking that as I need to build myself up and the first 2 days from SJPDP to Roncesvalle is 25+ km not including elevation, I might take an easy day and also stop sooner than I planned.

Sounds a good idea. I am walking 6.5 on the first day to Espinal and the 6 the second day the Corozon Puro as i would like to experience their hospitality. After that whatever goes just enjoy the journey.

Thanks for that Issy T. I've just contacted them so hopefully I'll get a reply ASAP as I don't have much time now before my departure date.
At a pinch they could always send it to the hotel I have booked in SJPDP.
Time will tell no doubt.

€83,-
Nadski
I posted a similar question last year, I'll try to retrieve response from Margaret Meredith MSPath.
I ordered it on line from the sjpdp shop and paid on pick up but they had plenty there. I think from memory it was somewhere around 32>42 euro. You can email them and find out. At the time only orange and green but good to have a colour that keeps you safe if rainy and you're on the road !
If post not here I'll put it directly below.
Buen camino.
Annie

OzAnnie,

Equipment for pilgrims including Althus is available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet. Both are owned by the same helpful, experienced pilgrim. See their web >> http://www.directioncompostelle.com/. Perhaps you might email him for the price.

Margaret Meredith

This post was sent to me from Margaret Meredith in August 2013.
I am trying to repost in response to nadsky question yesterday may2014 about Altus poncho

Nadski. Just found price then was €45. At sjpdp shop. Looks like I've put the post I right place !!

Annie

S

Sounds a good idea. I am walking 6.5 on the first day to Espinal and the 6 the second day the Corozon Puro as i would like to experience their hospitality. After that whatever goes just enjoy the journey.
Issy, I contacted Corazon Puro via email (I am going there on the 25th in which they will get me to SJPDP. I also requested the night of the 30th and said that Issy from Australia May contact them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank
Issy, I contacted Corazon Puro via email (I am going there on the 25th in which they will get me to SJPDP. I also requested the night of the 30th and said that Issy from Australia May contact them.

Thanks. Kris I emailed them and I am booked in for the 30th. It sounds lovely and I really want to experience it. They were so helpful

Thanks for that Issy T. I've just contacted them so hopefully I'll get a reply ASAP as I don't have much time now before my departure date.
At a pinch they could always send it to the hotel I have booked in SJPDP.
Time will tell no doubt.
They were really quick. They used a courier company and I had a tracking number. It left Spain on the Thursday was in London on the Friday and in Australia on the Monday. If you can get it in Spain it will save on postage. As I was not going to SJPDP I thought I would get it sent but I also had a little more time.

Thankyou OzAnnie for that info. It may yet be the saving grace.
I'll email them to see if they have any in stock as that would be very convenient in SJPDP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't understand the attraction to the Altus, especally since they stopped making the Atmospheric and the quality has apparently gone down. I keep seeimg reviews that the new one is leaky. And doesn't it weigh more than a pound?

There is an alternative, at least for North Americans - the Packa - of a similar, cagoule type design, but with better features, higher quality construction, lighter weight, and awesome fast customer service. It's pricier, but I've found it to be super durable and worth every penny. And I like to support cottage industry gear where possible.

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
I’ve been on Camino Norte for about eight days averaging around 30 to 35 km. I’ve gotten some blisters on the sides of my feet mostly the pinky toes and one on my big toe. I just came to the...
Buen Camino everyone. First timer here. Going to be starting my camino from porto at the end of this month and trying to find an e-sim that will work in both Portugal and Spain. I will there for...
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
(Not sure where to put this post.) I make shampoo and conditioner bars and get requests for scents I don't have. I'd like to get an idea from camino walkers of which of the scents I make would...
Like a huge number of pilgrims I have an Osprey rucksack (EXOS 38), which is one of the best packs I’ve had over 40 years hiking. However, is it me, or a design fault that re-zipping the belt...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.