• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting out from Texas

peregrinotomas

Hi, I am coming from Houston, Texas to walk the Camino Frances. Setting out in about a week and plan to finish at the end of July (that’s the plan anyway).
I teach and am taking advantage of the summer break to make the pilgrimage. Very much looking forward to the journey and meeting other pilgrims like YOU.
Did lots of hiking when I was growing up, but haven’t done much in several years. I’ve done some long-distance running, but was nervous about the Camino, b/c I know it uses different muscles . . . and it’s far! However, reading the encouraging forum comments has helped to allay those fears. I’m ready . . . or at least will be by next weekend.

Buen camino!
Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did lots of hiking when I was growing up
Store that way back in the memory bank. What you could do then does not illuminate what you can do now! You will be walking a half-marathon each day for over a month, so the memories of occasional walks in the past will be of little use. Except for blisters and muscles beginning to get sore, the first few days are quite heady. Then the repetitive stress and the sore muscles begin to drain you physically. If you have eaten too little or too poorly, your blood chemistry and electrolytes will begin deteriorating, and you will hit the wall between one and two weeks out. Anticipate this by not over-doing. You may think you can do another 5km at the end of the day, but it may push you past your limits. It is better to do too little than too much. Once you strain or break it, it could take days of rest to recover (or end your camino altogether).

Buen camino!

Hi Tom....I wish you the best of luck and prayers. I will be doing this and am from Houston as well. My camino will not start until next year. I will finish on my 40th birthday. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tom and Bella:

Welcome to the Forum.

We have a group of past and future pilgrims here in Houston. We are an informal group of Camino enthusiasts. We have a get together every few months....sometime a walk but always drinks and tapas. Our next event is scheduled for July 8th.

Send me a PM with your contact information and I will get you on our list. We started as a group of three and we are already at 40 members.

We also have a group Facebook page....seach "American Pilgrims on the Camino - Texas Gulf Coast Chapter".

Buen Camino,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the post. I just went to facebook and joined the page. I am looking forward to hearing and learning more from everybody. I have a friend who has a friend that just returned Saturday. She was telling me last night about her trip. I will send you a PM with my information. Have a super groovy day!
Monica

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.