• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting out from Texas

peregrinotomas

Hi, I am coming from Houston, Texas to walk the Camino Frances. Setting out in about a week and plan to finish at the end of July (that’s the plan anyway).
I teach and am taking advantage of the summer break to make the pilgrimage. Very much looking forward to the journey and meeting other pilgrims like YOU.
Did lots of hiking when I was growing up, but haven’t done much in several years. I’ve done some long-distance running, but was nervous about the Camino, b/c I know it uses different muscles . . . and it’s far! However, reading the encouraging forum comments has helped to allay those fears. I’m ready . . . or at least will be by next weekend.

Buen camino!
Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did lots of hiking when I was growing up
Store that way back in the memory bank. What you could do then does not illuminate what you can do now! You will be walking a half-marathon each day for over a month, so the memories of occasional walks in the past will be of little use. Except for blisters and muscles beginning to get sore, the first few days are quite heady. Then the repetitive stress and the sore muscles begin to drain you physically. If you have eaten too little or too poorly, your blood chemistry and electrolytes will begin deteriorating, and you will hit the wall between one and two weeks out. Anticipate this by not over-doing. You may think you can do another 5km at the end of the day, but it may push you past your limits. It is better to do too little than too much. Once you strain or break it, it could take days of rest to recover (or end your camino altogether).

Buen camino!

Hi Tom....I wish you the best of luck and prayers. I will be doing this and am from Houston as well. My camino will not start until next year. I will finish on my 40th birthday. Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tom and Bella:

Welcome to the Forum.

We have a group of past and future pilgrims here in Houston. We are an informal group of Camino enthusiasts. We have a get together every few months....sometime a walk but always drinks and tapas. Our next event is scheduled for July 8th.

Send me a PM with your contact information and I will get you on our list. We started as a group of three and we are already at 40 members.

We also have a group Facebook page....seach "American Pilgrims on the Camino - Texas Gulf Coast Chapter".

Buen Camino,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the post. I just went to facebook and joined the page. I am looking forward to hearing and learning more from everybody. I have a friend who has a friend that just returned Saturday. She was telling me last night about her trip. I will send you a PM with my information. Have a super groovy day!
Monica

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.