The Easter Vigil denied.

Jan 19, 2013
Carnarvon W Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Now that places of worship have been closed across the world, including Australia, almost all of you Catholics out there will be denied attendance at this great celebration. I can't resist posting that my parish priest has just phoned me, inviting me to be one of two people to legally celebrate the Easter Vigil with him. For many years I have been the cantor who sings the Exultet, as indeed I shall be this year, and what a strange and memorable experience that will be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles for now. Next?
CF: 2001, 02, 04, 14. Ourense to Santiago 2019.
Now that places of worship have been closed across the world, including Australia, almost all of you Catholics out there will be denied attendance at this great celebration. I can't resist posting that my parish priest has just phoned me, inviting me to be one of two people to legally celebrate the Easter Vigil with him. For many years I have been the cantor who sings the Exultet, as indeed I shall be this year, and what a strange and memorable experience that will be.

No Easter service feels like Christmas has been cancelled.

Sing your heart out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jan 21, 2006
Coimbra, Portugal
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019, 2024
A "recovering Catholic" who remembers Latin mass and Cathecism classes, I YouTubed the Exultet and found a version in English. A powerful and clearly demanding vocal hymn expression of praise; will you sing in English or in Latin?

Jan 19, 2013
Carnarvon W Australia
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
... will you sing in English or in Latin?
In English, but the same Gregorian chant as the original Latin. It is often known as the Easter Proclamation, and is sung after the paschal candle is processed to the altar.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

bbates225

Jun 19, 2012
Ventura County, CA
June/July (2017) Camino Frances (couldn't finish)
June/July (2020) Camino Frances (not - Covid 19)

The Easter Vigil is my favorite night of the year. It's the night I was baptized 25 years ago and the evening brings back wonderful memories. My second (or maybe equally) favorite night of the year is midnight mass at Christmas. My church celebrates at 11:00 pm with carols from the choir starting at 10:30, and ends at midnight - Christmas Day. Surely this will all be over by then 🙏🙏

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Jun 16, 2009
UK
camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We have no Vigil but plan to stand at our front door on Easter Sunday morning at 10.00am to sing 'Thine be the glory.....' and share the proclamation 'Alleluia, Christ is risen; He is risen indeed, Alleluia '
Easter is not cancelled but sad to lose our processions this year.
Have a blessed Vigil @Peregrinopaul

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Feb 29, 2012
Belfast, Ireland
Daily Mass is being streamed live from many parishes during this time. A great way to stay connected and an opportunity for Spiritual Communions.

Other churches are available :)
Daily Mass with the Pope available on Vatican News Live on Youtube 7am central european time. Another mass from Rome at 7pm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
F

Former member 49149

I am interested in the use of the word denial in the title. I usually associate that word with two days before the Paschal event. The responses above have shown there are many creative responses to the measures that have been put in place to protect populations the world over in all walks of life. One such, which I forgot to watch yesterday but hope to do tomorrow, is an exercise session that takes place after the daily transmission of the liturgy. Two for the price of one: spiritual and physical exercises to keep us supple. Anyone who can access it, Sligo Cathedral, 10.30am Monday, Wednesday and Friday I believe. I looked on their website and didn’t find any mention of it, but I will try anyway. I will be honest though: I see this time as one for focussing on trying to support those in this time and space who are walking/ working right there with those who are ill with the virus. It is a symbolic support, but it is aimed at watching and waiting and hoping for that moment of blessed knowledge that it has been done, it has been conquered. That is the other half of my reason for marching up and down in the ugly space available to me at the back of our house, to keep me concentrating on trying to change my little effort at solidarity into some sense of support for those right in the thick of it. They will not hear about it, but it is my intention for them. Sorry, OP, if this is detracting from your Exultet. One of the most poignant cries from the human heart.

Reactions: Sha-Ron
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Jun 16, 2009
UK
camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We plan to put a candle in our window tonight for a time, behind the little cross friends gave us for Good Friday. That will light up the cross to anyone walking past. (We are still allowed out for exercise here in the UK).
Then 'Sing Resurrection' on our doorsteps tomorrow morning for Easter Day.
A truly blessed Easter to all.

Reactions: Bob from L.A. !

michael

Sep 9, 2005
Visit site
I have been using https://www.churchservices.tv/walsingham
There is Easter Vigil this evening 20.30 BST.
I have had a look at a few of the broadcast services but personally like simplicity of Walsingham.
Could almost be Cistercian.
I think I know where I shall be visiting when this is all over.

Our parish priest does not get to do his usual 'what time is midnight mass?' routine this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.