Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The king’s breadmaker

peregrina2000

Staff member
Today when I was having some embutidos snd bread since I arrived too late for lunch in any restaurant, I commented to the bartender that the bread was really good and wondered if it was from the king’s bread maker. He told me — “claro, estás comiendo como una reina.” He directed me to the panadería. It was open and I was able to go inside. No flashy sign saying “here is where the king gets his bread” or anything like that, just a bunch of hard-working people filling the oven with wood for tomorrow’s baking. The man who was there told me he starts work at 11 at night and goes home by eight or nine. He also told me that someone drives down a carful once a week. I wonder how they keep it fresh for that long. Most Spanish bread I’ve had could be used as a hammer within three days.

I’m sorry I won’t get buy any of this bread on my way out of town tomorrow, because they do not sell or bake on Sunday. Next time!

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpeg
    IMG_3260.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 861
  • IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3257.jpeg
    IMG_3257.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rodeiro. It’s Panaderia Jesus, right @peregrina2000?
Correct! I had difficulty finding it when I left in the early morning last July (it's kind of hiding around an ally) but a neighbor yelled up to the owner, she looked out her bedroom window and opened up for me. I carried the bread all the way to Silleda where I ate it with olive oil and
salt. Yummy! 😋

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_064703.jpg
    IMG_20230710_064703.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230710_165900.jpg
    IMG_20230710_165900.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20230710_064555.jpg
    IMG_20230710_064555.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230710_064605.jpg
    IMG_20230710_064605.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
Curses! I loitered outside the building early morning, but read that it wasn’t opening till 0830

*sad face*

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
True for most of it. Perhaps this place makes a decent sourdough bread? That can last for several days without turning into Terry Pratchett's dwarf bread :)
True dat. Basically indestructible :)

The bakers Susanna and Chuchi in Grañón gave us a huge paper flour sack ( the kind they buy bulk flour in, and told us to always store the bread in it. The same at Arrés, the baker at Puente la Reina de Jaca told us to store the bread in the paper flour sack and offered us one for the albergue although we already had one. Always stayed fresher. Don't think it lasted a week though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once when I entered Sahagun early in the morning. I could smell the bakery as I walked along the street. When I got next to it the workers were loading the bread into a van. I commented to the van driver that I was pleased to see it. He spoke to me in very good English . He then started to discuss all the problems in the world, he was quite young. It was too much for me so early in the morning. So I said to him I was going to stop for breakfast in the town and to make sure fresh bread was delivered, which he duly did.

Once when I entered Sahagun early in the morning. I could smell the bakery as I walked along the street. When I got next to it the workers were loading the bread into a van. I commented to the van driver that I was pleased to see it. He spoke to me in very good English . He then started to discuss all the problems in the world, he was quite young. It was too much for me so early in the morning. So I said to him I was going to stop for breakfast in the town and to make sure fresh bread was delivered, which he duly did.
He'd probably been up for hours already making bread!

We were randomly wondering about bread - and this place sounds amazing.

In a book about the history behind Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, by David Bellos, we just learned that the bread which Jean Valjean stole to feed his family was not made of white flour, like a modern baguette as many imagine, but was instead a very large and heavy loaf of black bread weighing 4 to 5 pounds.

We've enjoyed black bread in different parts of Europe but never thought about it before this book - now I see it also existed in Spain - the distinction between white bread and black bread. God bless all breads 🥹

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m sorry I won’t get buy any of this bread on my way out of town tomorrow, because they do not sell or bake on Sunday. Next time!
Ohhhh. Bummer. You'll just have to walk the Invierno again. 🙃

Curses! I loitered outside the building early morning, but read that it wasn’t opening till 0830
And I didn't learn of it until after I'd walked the Invierno. Also sad face. Very. I'm a bread hound. But since hearing of it here, now I know. So next time...!

And so great to get photos.
Thanks for this thread, Laurie. It's made my morning.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@peregrina2000, I am envious of you and many others who speak fluent Spanish and can enjoy chatting with the locals. At breakfast this morning I asked if they made "huevos" as they often don't. The man said "si, fritos" and went in the back and came out a few minutes later with a plate of two of the runniest cooked eggs I have ever seen...I'm sure I heard the chicks chirping.😅 Also I asked for salt "sil" and pepper. He didn't know what I meant, so I said "negro" with a shake of my hand. He gave me the salt packet and a bigger one that was brown. I poured brown sugar all over my eggs.😂 I seem to have the most trouble ordering food and it is embarrassing to say how inept I still am, but I enjoy being in Spain, irregardless.
P.S. I loved your bread and hammer comment...so true of thick crust often times!

@peregrina2000, I am envious of you and many others who speak fluent Spanish and can enjoy chatting with the locals. At breakfast this morning I asked if they made "huevos" as they often don't. The man said "si, fritos" and went in the back and came out a few minutes later with a plate of two of the runniest cooked eggs I have ever seen...I'm sure I heard the chicks chirping.😅 Also I asked for salt "sil" and pepper. He didn't know what I meant, so I said "negro" with a shake of my hand. He gave me the salt packet and a bigger one that was brown. I poured brown sugar all over my eggs.😂 I seem to have the most trouble ordering food and it is embarrassing to say how inept I still am, but I enjoy being in Spain, irregardless.
P.S. I loved your bread and hammer comment...so true of thick crust often times!
Couldn't agree more. Been in Portugal for 2 days and everyone speaks fluent English. All I can muster is obrigado. How sad!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yuck. Nope, thank you.
I envy Laurie's Spanish too.
I first heard her speak "ultra fluent" Spanish when we met halfway between our homes at a park to walk a few years ago. We passed a few Hispanic teens and she walked over to them and chatted; rattleing off the fastest Spanish I'd ever heard coming from someone not born into the language.It was definitely amazing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just be sure you say, "Hay huevos?" instead of "Tienes huevos?" Different meaning. (And salt is "sal."

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back