The Shadow Pilgrim

Lisa HS

Contributing Member
Jul 8, 2015
Silicon Valley, California
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (SJPdP - SdC)
Port. (Porto -SdC - Finis)
To anyone who is currently in SdC. Can you tell me if the Shadow Pilgrim is once again appearing nightly, in his usual place behind the Cathedral? Last year, he was obscured by scaffolding. Here is the reference to anyone who has not made his awesome specterly acquaintance. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shadow-pilgrim.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Feb 12, 2015
Australia
Frances Portuguese Finisterre Muxia Ingles Mozarabe VldP Sanabres Serrana Salvador Norte Espiritual
  • Love - Red heart
Reactions: Lisa HS
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
Just FYI, for those of you who have not met the "Shadow Pilgrim" aka "Santiago's Ghost..." Here is how to find him...

After DARK, go to Plaza Quintana. This is on the East side of the Cathedral, in the large open square behind the main altar end of the Cathedral.
  1. Find the Holy Door / Door of Mercy. This is a large / tall door facing the plaza, with a surrounding facade of many saints.
  2. Move about 10 meters LEFT / SOUTH while facing the Cathedral.
  3. At the corner of the Cathedral, move another 5 meters or so LEFT.
  4. You should see the Shadow / Ghost on the wall, near the rear corner (to the right).
  5. You can't miss him if it is dark and the lights are on. He is wearing a tunic / robe, traditional pilgrim hat, and carrying a staff with a gourd attached. He does not move.
  6. Take a photo... it will come out...
  7. Weird innit?
Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Lirsy

Aug 13, 2017
Aviles, Asturias, Spain
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Thanks for sharing Lisa! I was not knowing that!!!

In case someone is interested, another peculiar thing in the cathedral is the chrismon in the "Puerta de Platerias". Instead of having alpha and omega, they are inverted, omega and alpha. It seems to mean that the end of the Camino is actually the beginning of the Camino.

By the way ... I saw that the "Peregrino escondido" appears in google maps!

F

Former member 69452

To anyone who is currently in SdC. Can you tell me if the Shadow Pilgrim is once again appearing nightly, in his usual place behind the Cathedral? Last year, he was obscured by scaffolding. Here is the reference to anyone who has not made his awesome specterly acquaintance. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shadow-pilgrim.
Oh I love this!! I didn't see him last year but hope to on my next Camino!

Reactions: Lisa HS
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
If you have a photo, please publish here, so we know what we are looking for. Thank you
View media item 2594
I took the pic not knowing about the shadow.
It's not a close-up, but he jumps out at you once you know where to look.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

davidlawernce58

Feb 7, 2020
denton tx
in the future

was there in October posted a pic

A selection of Camino Jewellery

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I have a quick shot of the shadow from last Sept 2019, but there were several pieces of construction equipment in front, so not perfect shots. On the day I was leaving to go home, the equipment was moved, but alas...daytime, no shadow to photograph! Maybe this year? LOL

Becky 59

Feb 22, 2018
USA
CF 2018, 2021, 2023; CI 2019; CP 2022, 2023
I’m here in Santiago scratching my head but I can’t dig up any of the previous threads I have seen in the past about the “Shadow Pilgrim”, who only comes out at night as the product of an amazing collection of shadows. Can any of you wise people who are such fonts of wisdom help me out?

natefaith

Veteran Member
Aug 25, 2011
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
pilgrimhousesantiago.com
2009, 2014, 2017
Hi Becky!
Go to the Plaza de Quintana, and look toward the gift shop door. In the corner there, at night, there will be the shadow of a pilgrim with a hat on his head and a staff. I'll see if I can dig up some links or images.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
I’m here in Santiago scratching my head but I can’t dig up any of the previous threads I have seen in the past about the “Shadow Pilgrim”
I have found one of those threads and will merge the new posts with it, since there are some good photos and discussion.

Flog

Pilgrim
Aug 20, 2017
Ireland
It's quite a tourist attraction these days and there always seems to be people taking photos. It's nice to observe after midnight when it's quiet and there is nobody about.

For anyone who's interested:
I think the pillar is an earthing point for the lightning conductor on one of the spires. There are two identical ones either side of the Portico da Gloria. I only noticed them the other day!

Reactions: VNwalking
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.