Time of past OR future Camino
2024 (project) Norte or Invierno
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience.

I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with hats. This see airy but would like other opinions.
Hi @digitalgerry, I am of no help for opinions on the Shell Toucher hat - I am of the opinion that any hat will do 🤭 - but since it may not be obvious to everybody, here is the screenshot and the link (www.shelltoucher.com) to the hat you are curious about:

Shell Toucher Hat.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Antnix1

Nov 6, 2021
Ireland
Camino Mozarabe
turtle-shell-hat-feltthink.jpg
Looks good. You should buy it.

Really though , I'm not familiar with it.
I once saw a wide brim hat with vents/netting but at €50 i chose a €12.50 hat instead without vents. Unfortunately i ran hot when it was on my head and luckily the particular hike i was on was only 3 days with much of it in the shade

Reactions: JillGat

David

Veteran Member
Jan 28, 2006
England
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Good question. The tropical pith helmet, still used by police and military in many hot countries is a brilliant and time tested hot weather hat.
No longer made of pith but now Japanese Toya straw, made rigid with resin. I wear one, and absolutely love it!! though I do get a lot of stares (jealous ones I think) and people do ask about it and sometimes want to try it on. I am from a Scottish mother (so cringe like a vampire when the sun comes out) and find that the sun protection is superb, as is the air circulation - the downside, if one can call it that, is that it is rigid so can't be scrunched up into a rucksack.

The design that sets it apart from modern sun hats - especially designs such as the heavy and opaque Tilly, is that it is light and the internal adjustable headband ('vegan' synthetic leather nowadays) is "floating" - which means that when it is securely on the head there is an air gap all round the head and with the dome shape and vent holes allows air to properly circulate, also, the front of the headband has a sweat pad, which can be cooled with water - rather good hat if it rains too! - they are unlike modern soft sun hats - with the Vietcong during the Vietnam war they were standard issue.

- and Hey! is the identical hat as worn by Jack Black as Professor Shelley Oberon in Jumanji!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gobsmacked by the World

Are we there yet?
Jul 10, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
CF SJPP - SDC 2022
CF (most likely) Aug 2024
Looks like a good way to guarantee that you’d walk the Camino alone.

It is a hard shell, so it doesn’t fold up, can’t be put in a pocket or otherwise ‘travel’ well. It actually doesn’t even provide good sun coverage, which is the primary purpose of a Camino hat.
Sunday Afternoon has nice light hats, that fold down, provide good coverage, and will not make people change seats on the bus, if you sit next to them. I think this is the one I bought. https://sundayafternoons.ca/collections/mens/products/ultra-adventure-hat?variant=41558257565869

If you suffer from the heat…if I may suggest, go to industrial worker wear websites, and they offer functional products…so long as you can do without someone adding the word ‘camino’™️ for marketing purposes, check out: https://www.ergodyne.com/cooling/view-all
for their cooling products. These workwear providers supply gear for people working outdoors in the deserts of Arizona, Nevada, etc.

I am in agreement with David 100% (at risk of sounding unpatriotic) that Tilley hats are overrated, overpriced, and will overheat you. But sorry, can’t go for the pith helmet thing…though I am sure that it does merit a journal entry by all the pilgrims you meet.

PS, I do have my own dress eccentricities however, I am somewhat OCD about hi vis material, so have had my own share of quizzical looks.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
You want a great hat that covers almost everything from Your neck up? Is cool and if you need to cool your head off just dunk it in cold water and put it back on? Here you go:

ShellToucher

Dec 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
shelltoucher.com
Spring 22
Spring 23
Summer or Fall 24
Looks like a good way to guarantee that you’d walk the Camino alone.

It is a hard shell, so it doesn’t fold up, can’t be put in a pocket or otherwise ‘travel’ well. It actually doesn’t even provide good sun coverage, which is the primary purpose of a Camino hat.
Sunday Afternoon has nice light hats, that fold down, provide good coverage, and will not make people change seats on the bus, if you sit next to them. I think this is the one I bought. https://sundayafternoons.ca/collections/mens/products/ultra-adventure-hat?variant=41558257565869

If you suffer from the heat…if I may suggest, go to industrial worker wear websites, and they offer functional products…so long as you can do without someone adding the word ‘camino’™️ for marketing purposes, check out: https://www.ergodyne.com/cooling/view-all
for their cooling products. These workwear providers supply gear for people working outdoors in the deserts of Arizona, Nevada, etc.

I am in agreement with David 100% (at risk of sounding unpatriotic) that Tilley hats are overrated, overpriced, and will overheat you. But sorry, can’t go for the pith helmet thing…though I am sure that it does merit a journal entry by all the pilgrims you meet.

PS, I do have my own dress eccentricities however, I am somewhat OCD about hi vis material, so have had my own share of quizzical looks.
Respectfully, it provides GREAT sun coverage due to the fact that it holds its shape and is not foldable or floppy. As a long distance hiker I have worn this on every trip with great success. The brim is wide all the way around. If you wish not to wear it, you can hang it by the strap from your pack!

I personally think straw hats are truly the best in all spring/summer long distance hiking conditions! The breathability is unmatched by technical or cloth hats, they are lightweight, the sun protection is 50 UPF, they have a durable, lightweight construction and floating design that permits evaporative cooling, it can withstand rugged conditions, etc.

All in all, I have been so impressed by the pith I decided to offer them and recommend them to others as well and the feedback has always been positive! (I see David was inspired to offer them also! ;) Clearly we are cut from the same cloth. Cheers sir! )

As for Arizona, having lived there for almost ten years I can say the postmen and many a landscaper also wear this style of straw pith.

Again, I wear this hat almost daily so if anyone has any questions or would like to pick my brain in regards to it, I am at your service!

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:

jbreuner

Jan 2, 2022
Orinda, CA, USA
Camino Frances, April 28, 2022 to ???
I might just add... I had the very good fortune of walking the Camino with ShellToucher two years ago - Cheers, Hodges! - and I can vouch for the fact that he wore it every day. Not only did he not repel other pilgrims, but he seemed to attract all the girls!! Must be something about that pith hat! It also made it very easy to pick him out in a crowd! He is absolutely a stand-up guy. It may not be your style, but if he recommends it, you can count on it!! Love ya, Bro!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

ShellToucher

Dec 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
shelltoucher.com
Spring 22
Spring 23
Summer or Fall 24
I might just add... I had the very good fortune of walking the Camino with ShellToucher two years ago - Cheers, Hodges! - and I can vouch for the fact that he wore it every day. Not only did he not repel other pilgrims, but he seemed to attract all the girls!! Must be something about that pith hat! It also made it very easy to pick him out in a crowd! He is absolutely a stand-up guy. It may not be your style, but if he recommends it, you can count on it!! Love ya, Bro!!
Lol, I thought of posting a photo when I read that comment too! Shucks & Good to see you Jim! I’ll be back in early June doing the Norte/Primitivo! We gonna see you back out there this season?

Last edited:
Reactions: David

jbreuner

Jan 2, 2022
Orinda, CA, USA
Camino Frances, April 28, 2022 to ???
Lol, I thought of posting a photo when I read that comment too! Shucks & Good to see you Jim! I’ll be back in early June doing the Norte/Primitivo! We gonna see you back out there this season?
No current plans, mi amigo! Next vacation will be with my wife. She deserves a break, too!

Hope all is well. Make sure I can follow your journey vicariously, won't you?

Buen Camino!!

Jim

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
You want a great hat that covers almost everything from Your neck up? Is cool and if you need to cool your head off just dunk it in cold water and put it back on? Here you go:
There is no doubt that a legionnaire style cap makes most sense for sun protection, and I do have one that I wear infrequently, and never on the camino, and I don't have a pith helmet. I did try an OR sombrero style hat on my first camino, but since then I have worn a Tilley. I also wear it on my other travels where I probably wouldn't wear a legionnaire or baseball style cap. It is a good, all-round piece of kit. That said, I cannot see myself getting quite so emotional about this as some people seem to be. It's a clothing choice, not unlike any other, and quite debatable whether it is any better than choosing a similar style hat from another manufacturer.

ps the much vaunted warranty on a Tilley is not worth anything if you don't register the hat within a month or so of purchase!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
You want to see people get emotional when they see my hat. Just look at my kids who see photos of me on the Camino with this hat on and they scream with embarrassment. :) You can take the hood off and it is just another baseball cap. Very light and cool. That is why I like it. But you are right some people are often way over the top with some of their suggestions. Me? I say take my ideas or leave them. It’s up to you.

dick bird

Staff member
Feb 2, 2020
Sydney
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
At least borderline racist but waspishly hilarious as ever, the great Noel Coward: “When the White Man rides every native hides in glee, because the simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree”. Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

Reactions: Walkalong
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

ShellToucher

Dec 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
shelltoucher.com
Spring 22
Spring 23
Summer or Fall 24
And what, may I ask, is wrong with a floppy hat?

😁😁😁
Don't get me wrong, use whatever works for you!

That comment was in response to another poster and in defense of MY favorite hat! 😜 (said comment: “It is a hard shell, so it doesn’t fold up, can’t be put in a pocket or otherwise ‘travel’ well. It actually doesn’t even provide good sun coverage, which is the primary purpose of a Camino hat.”)

Sorry about the confusion Peregrina!

Reactions: David

Raulvamir

Dec 9, 2023
Orlando
April 2024

Marcus-UK

Old Git
May 13, 2015
Birmingham
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017
Whats wrong with slipping a cotton handkerchief under the rear band of any cheap old hat?

I prefer the French Kepi to a solar topee, it has a better visor for sun protection and you can roll up the neck when not necessary.

I generally wear an Austrian Felt hat from the Tirol while hiking. I can dunk it in horse troughs to provide evaporative cooling.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Gobsmacked by the World

Are we there yet?
Jul 10, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
CF SJPP - SDC 2022
CF (most likely) Aug 2024
Add a kilt or a macabe skirt and you'd have a Hundred Years of Solitude.
Well played. But that did remind, I loved that Garcia Marquez book, mind you I read it about a hundred years ago as well. I might need to revisit that. Off topic to this thread (but related to good books) I hate the post-Internet brain that I have now, with its' shortened attention span. I used to read a lot, and curl up for hours, but when I do now, I find myself scrolling far more than I should. I know I am not the only person dealing with this malaise.

On the topic though of gear for the Camino that you hadn't, or perhaps shouldn't, have thought of...may I introduce you to the Hike n' Strike. A taser built into a hiking pole. I thought it hilarious, but was initially reluctant to add it to this post, lest someone think that it WOULD be good for the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
I have an iPhone 14 and got an eSIM one month contract with Orange when I arrived in Spain a month ago. Right away there were problems. It did most basic things, but I couldn’t use most WiFi...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.