• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Those who have walked at least one Camino - What are your favorite insoles and why?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year.

What are YOUR favorites, and why?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here in the UK I usually buy gel insoles from Sports Direct. Used to be branded as Dunlop but I think they are now Slazenger but they are effectively the same. Cheap, durable, comfortable and widely available.

Depends on many factors.
It's the one excess item I carry on all hikes, a spare dry set of insoles.
Have used the following brand consistently for well over a decade.

Sorbothane Shock Stopper Double Strike Insoles​

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have good orthotic insoles, designed for my feet.
Before I walked my first Camino in 2011, I went to a Chiropodist, who analyzed my feet and recommended the best footwear for long-distance walking. I'm glad I did because I have had very few foot problems in all my eight Caminos and other walks elsewhere - only a random blister, which could be due to sock problems, not the shoes.

Last edited:
TreadLabs: four different arch heights for the base, with a wide variety of replaceable cushions. https://treadlabs.com/

I have also used Powerstep on Camino. https://powerstep.com

Both of these offer a high arch option which is hard to find. TreadLabs has a very high option, too.

I found that Superfeet caused edge blisters all around the edges of my heels.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
TreadLabs: four different arch heights for the base, with a wide variety of replaceable cushions. https://treadlabs.com/

I have also used Powerstep on Camino. https://powerstep.com

Both of these offer a high arch option which is hard to find. TreadLabs has a very high option, too.

I found that Superfeet caused edge blisters all around the edge of my heel.
Yes, I was worried about Superfeet because the ones I saw had to be cut and that can cause pinching if you don't get them perfect. That's why I like Motion Control - they come sized.

Only custommade insoles for me.
Hallux valgus ( bunion ) and pes cavus ( hollow feet ) are not an easy combination.
Luckily our national heealthcare system contributes every two year in a pair of new insoles ( prescription only ).

Last edited:
I wear zero drop trail runners with Injinji toe socks and Scholl Gel Activ Work insoles. They provide better cushioning and heat dissipation which I find helps with blister prevention. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, I was worried about Superfeet because the ones I saw had to be cut and that can cause pinching if you don't get them perfect. That's why I like Motion Control - they come sized.

Yes, the Superfeet [TM] Green insoles needed to be cut to size, and being costly I did not want to cut them too small.

The carpenter's rule is to measure at least twice, cut once.

I made separate R & L side templates from cardboard, which I cut to shape in small increments until they fit snugly in my boots all around their full perimeters, then traced the template shapes onto the Superfeet, then cut the Superfeet smaller in increments approaching the marked lines with multiple trial fittings until they too fit snugly in my boots all around.

Because the cut edges are snug against the insides of my boots, my feet cannot contact them, therefore, no chafing.

Using my tin snips, the whole process was easy and took about 10 minutes per boot.

I can remove the Superfeet Greens for periodic cleaning and inspection, but doubt I will need to replace them for many years if ever. They are of robust manufacture.

Edit: If you use the cardboard template system as above, it might be prudent to mark the templates "left" and "right" to avoid mix-ups.

Last edited:
I wear Altra Lone Peak trail runners and use their insoles for most of my walk. After about 600km I switch to Sorbothane Cush N Step Cushion Protect Insoles. I do this because the mid-sole wears and these insoles bring back the cushioning. A great treat for my feet for the last few hundred km. In the UK they are around £8 and you do trim the end to size. (I use the Altra Insole as the pattern, draw around that and the size is right.) They weigh about 100g.

I have only used SuperFeet insoles, but not on the Camino as I hike in sandals.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Superfeet (which I’ve used for many years’ come in a range of sizes which need to be trimmed for an exact fit. Using the original footbeds from your shoes or boots as a template works well.

However!

It’s not always as simple as using them ‘off the shelf’ and a consultation with a trained fitter is advised. My wife found she got a much more supportive fit by buying a larger size -and obviously trimming more off. Not everyone’s arch is the same size and shape.,

Last edited:
InStrydes.

Fully-customized insoles at less than half the price!
Superfeet, Tread Labs, etc and merely generic insoles so they are not made for your specific needs. Also, since all of us have differences between our left and right feet, each foot needs its own specific insole. IMO generic insoles do not help at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Superfeet, Tread Labs, etc and merely generic insoles so they are not made for your specific needs. Also, since all of us have differences between our left and right feet, each foot needs its own specific insole. IMO generic insoles do not help at all.
I also moved from Superfeet to a custom insole. This is the company I used, but I suspect they are all about the same:

I used SOLE active thick insoles with the metatarsal pad which helped with my Morton's neuroma (https://yoursole.com/us/shop/womens/footbeds?styles=283) . I had to customize the SOLEs for my Camino boots because I was wearing extra wide Keen Targhee's - I had a spare pair of insoles and drew the outline of the wider Keen insoles on a part of them then drew the outline of the less wide SOLE and cut off the difference - then taped the extra bit on to the SOLE insole to make it the same shape as the original Keen insole. Otherwise there was a gap at the side of the SOLE insole.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whatever the sales person in the tech store provided. They are usually skilled at choosing, fitting and cutting. Always have been awesome!

Superfeet [TM] Green, because of the good arch support and stiffness which suggests longevity.
Agree…I use Superfeet green in almost all of my shoes and boots. For me they seem to offer good support and hold my foot and heel in a comfortable and solid position. I’m sure they slightly impact volume but the result is comfort and less foot movement in the shoe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used SOLE active thick insoles with the metatarsal pad which helped with my Morton's neuroma (https://yoursole.com/us/shop/womens/footbeds?styles=283) . I had to customize the SOLEs for my Camino boots because I was wearing extra wide Keen Targhee's - I had a spare pair of insoles and drew the outline of the wider Keen insoles on a part of them then drew the outline of the less wide SOLE and cut off the difference - then taped the extra bit on to the SOLE insole to make it the same shape as the original Keen insole. Otherwise there was a gap at the side of the SOLE insole.
I use SOLE active insoles with matetarsal pads - use medium or thick depending on the volume of the shoe. Others that include a hard plastic piece attached to foam or other light materials (like Superfeet) tend to create pinch points on my feet for some reason. I've never had any similar problems with the SOLE insoles, which whether you use the cork product or the manmade material, are always consistent along their entire length.

Last fall I walked in gully-washer rain for days on the Via de la Plata with completely soaked SOLEs without a problem of any kind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I absolutely love the brand “10 seconds to comfort”. They have different models which can help support all types of feet. I use the arch support version. They may be a bit more expensive, but they last for well over a year without compromising the integrity of the insole. Super comfortable. My feet aren’t a bit fatigued after multiple 20k+ days of walking. After a bad fall many years ago, my right foot was weakened. It never really healed properly and although I am careful with my steps, it’ll roll outward and causes a severe sprain with a pain that lingers all the way to Santiago. I feel these have reduced the threat of my ankle rolling on rocky terrain. I love love love 10 Seconds to comfort insoles and wouldn’t think of walking another camino without them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, the Superfeet [TM] Green insoles needed to be cut to size, and being costly I did not want to cut them too small.

The carpenter's rule is to measure at least twice, cut once.

I made separate R & L side templates from cardboard, which I cut to shape in small increments until they fit snugly in my boots all around their full perimeters, then traced the template shapes onto the Superfeet, then cut the Superfeet smaller in increments approaching the marked lines with multiple trial fittings until they too fit snugly in my boots all around.

Because the cut edges are snug against the insides of my boots, my feet cannot contact them, therefore, no chafing.

Using my tin snips, the whole process was easy and took about 10 minutes per boot.

I can remove the Superfeet Greens for periodic cleaning and inspection, but doubt I will need to replace them for many years if ever. They are of robust manufacture.

Edit: If you use the cardboard template system as above, it might be prudent to mark the templates "left" and "right" to avoid mix-ups.
I just used the soles that came with the boot to measure what part of SF had to be cut. Worked out well but I guess it depends if you have soles you can remove to do that.

I just used the soles that came with the boot to measure what part of SF had to be cut. Worked out well but I guess it depends if you have soles you can remove to do that.
Yes. My boots did not come from the factory with removable insoles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I went to an orthopedic shoe store and had custom insoles made for my feet. My doctor recommended that. They were fantastic because they felt great and I had zero blisters.

On my first Camino my Physio proved me with Vasili insoles.
Made in Spain I think.

Since then I use custom insoles made by my podiatrist.
They are great…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You’re lucky…..
You must have good feet.
It does seem to be the case. I have walked a few caminos and often walk 40km or more a day and very rarely get any blisters at all. It seems my feet are a ‘standard’ size!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.