• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towels

mainardguy

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions.
Should I being my own towel?
How far in advance do I need to book one?
Can I leave my backpack there safely while I explore the town??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bring a towel - very few albergues provide one. I like to save weight and bulk by using a very light cotton cloth.

@mainardguy , welcome to the forum. Yes, you definitely need your own towel. Most pack a travel towel or similar. Ditto sleep sheet as a minimum.
Booking - generally it’s suggested to book your first couple of nights, and then take it from there. Starting off a little slower is often considered a good idea for a newcomer, so don’t make the first couple of days distance’s too long.
Yes, you can safely leave your backpack in the Albergue when you go out, but obviously you’ll want to carry your valuables with you. Everywhere. Including to the shower.

Bom Caminho !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@mainardguy , welcome to the forum. Yes, you definitely need your own towel. Most pack a travel towel or similar. Ditto sleep sheet as a minimum.
Booking - generally it’s suggested to book your first couple of nights, and then take it from there. Starting off a little slower is often considered a good idea for a newcomer, so don’t make the first couple of days distance’s too long.
Yes, you can safely leave your backpack in the Albergue when you go out, but obviously you’ll want to carry your valuables with you. Everywhere. Including to the shower.

Bom Caminho !
Thank you so much for your feedback. I feel that I have so many questions and am watching as many YouTube videos as I can to find out stuff. Appreciate your input

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for your feedback. I feel that I have so many questions and am watching as many YouTube videos as I can to find out stuff. Appreciate your input
I think that you are probably better off asking your questions here than relying on YouTube videos for information. Except maybe @Robo's channel. 😊

Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions.
Should I being my own towel?
How far in advance do I need to book one?
Can I leave my backpack there safely while I explore the town??

i bought this a few years ago and i still have it https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GJFKFS7/ .. recommended.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used a PackTowel but I have brought a sarong with me and used that for my body and the PackTowel for my hair. I’ve also seen people use the Turkish cloth towels which are dry by morning. Just don’t bring a terry cloth towel, it will be heavy and probably never fully dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"A towel is just about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can carry. Partly because it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it around your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in: Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

On a less serious note consider a Hamman or Peshtemal towel (the thinner variety) or even a Japanese Tenugui both very absorbent and fast drying (though the Tenugui are a bit on the small side for most Westerners)

EDIT: don't forget, Saturday 25th May 2024 is Towel Day!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.