Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling by train or bus on Good Friday (10/04/2020)

hielienie

Aug 16, 2016
Stellenbosch
Time of past OR future Camino
Apr2017:Frances,Muxia,Finisterre
Apr2023:Del Norte
Me and my mom will be arriving in Madrid at 05:00 on Good Friday next year. I need to go to Irun and she is on her way to SJPDP. I have a feeling we might struggle with bus/train availability over Easter Weekend. Does anyone know how big a problem this might be?

I am struggling to understand the Renfe website and ALSA also doesn't seem to have timetables for April yet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

hielienie

Aug 16, 2016
Stellenbosch
Apr2017:Frances,Muxia,Finisterre
Apr2023:Del Norte
Spanish train and bus websites generally do not post scheduled very far in advance. For buses, 60 days is about as far out as I have seen, For trains, perhaps 90 days...

Hope this helps.

Thanks this definitely helps - So my head can stop spinning until at least January ;)

Donjek

Oct 7, 2019
Canada
2012 SJPdP - Fisterra
Me and my mom will be arriving in Madrid at 05:00 on Good Friday next year. I need to go to Irun and she is on her way to SJPDP. I have a feeling we might struggle with bus/train availability over Easter Weekend. Does anyone know how big a problem this might be?

I am struggling to understand the Renfe website and ALSA also doesn't seem to have timetables for April yet.

If I were you, I'd consider getting a flight from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS or Biarritz BIQ.

EAS airport is about 3 km from Irun and Gare d'Hendaye.

BIQ airport is 40 minutes local bus ride from Gare Bayonne and is the closest airport to SJPdP.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP has TER service which there are no reservations required or available.

ALSA/CONDA likely won't have anything posted more than a month in advance. RENFE schedule is kinda sorta 3 months for its AVE but sometimes much less for its less important routes. SNCF is usually available 3 months out and doesn't usually change much so you can plan using tomorrows schedule and not be far off when its time.

I wouldn't count on there being bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP in April. It might start running that early in the season but no guarantee that it will.

Easter is a big deal in Spain and France ... so expect long lines and delays if you don't have reservations and tickets when you get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: hielienie
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!
I’m going to be getting the Monbus from Lavacolla just outside Santiago airport to Samos on Tuesday Is it worth booking online or ok to pay cash on the bus? Any thoughts would be welcome. Pay on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides