Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trip insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

String bean

Jul 11, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
September
We cruise a lot and always purchase trip insurance. As my husband is retired military and we have tri-care I’m thinking we should purchase insurance for our walk. Walking from St.Jean in September. Any thoughts?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Mar 29, 2010
Brazil/Australia
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
You should certainly get travel/health insurance for the trip. The Camino is an easy walk, but you never know what kind of things can happen in such a long trip, so I'd highly advise for buying insurance.

Reactions: Anamiri
D

Deleted member 39850

Absolutely. I did not even get sick last trip, but had to use my insurance to change a flight because of a medical catastrophe at home when I was one day from Santiago.
My flight was changed, my travel to Portugal cancelled, re-routed to new expenses on train backward through Spain to Hendaye, an unanticipated hotel expense. In all the insurance that had cost me $15 or so saved me about $1500 in costs associated with all those changed plans.
Also, the agent on my plan helped to organize the changes.
I am lucky because my insurance deal comes through work, so it's really great as we do fieldwork around the globe all the time.
But I suggest you find the best thing you can. Trip insurance as well as personal health.
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Sharonih

Nov 17, 2016
Vancouver Island, Canada
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
Absolutely get the insurance as you never know if you will need it. In all my travels I never have but I consider it money well spent because if something does happen it could cost a lot more than what the insurance cost. Make sure to read what your insurance covers

Robert Long

Jul 11, 2016
Grass Valley, Ca
Camino Frances Sept 2016
Camino Portuguse Oct 2018
Good Morning

First thank you for your service. I too am retired Military and have MediCare and TriCare coverage. It is true that TriCare will cover your medical expenses outside the US, whereas MediCare will not (btw not suggesting you are over 65:) ). Consider two things; one, transportation is often the bigger headache in a medical emergency, and while TriCare will cover it, it may be difficult and require cash payment up front. With private insurance there would be little conversation about transportation. And two, look at USAA travel insurance, it is based on the cost of the trip. Usually the only cost is Air Fare so insurance can be as little as $80. Well worth the cost.

We were with a young lady two years ago on the CF and she contracted the "pilgrim flu" and became quite dehydrated and spent a night in the hospital. The care was quick and very good. No delays, no questions. Don't worry.

Buen Camino
Bob

Reactions: Renascer
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

JamesGeier

Jun 16, 2015
San Diego, California, USA
Next:
Sanabres spring 2024
Insurance is something that we hope we never need, but can be invaluable when needed. I have traveled a bit in Asia, always use Allianz trip insurance (which I purchase through AAA in the States), and did the same for my trip to France/Spain.

On my first Camino Frances, I became very ill on the meseta (see post in the topic "Tipping Point" at: Tipping Point - Ill on the Meseta). I called the travel insurance company in Fromista where they helped me locate a doctor, and then again in Carrion de las Condes, and when I was being transported to the hospital in Palencia, I called the travel insurance company told them the name of the hospital to which I was being taken, and they told me, "we will call them and give them a guarantee of payment. You only need to think about getting well." And after tests and a night in the hospital, the payment was taken care of - all I did was focus on getting well and making my way back to the Camino and on to Santiago de Compostela.

Travel/trip insurance is a good idea. Most of the time everything is fine, but it is comforting to know that help is available if needed.

Buen Camino,
--jim--

Rover

Dec 25, 2015
Camino Francis, Fall 2016
We cruise a lot and always purchase trip insurance. As my husband is retired military and we have tri-care I’m thinking we should purchase insurance for our walk. Walking from St.Jean in September. Any thoughts?

I concur with the previous pilgrim. I purchased trip insurance for my trip at a relatively nominal cost "just in case." The emphasis should be on the medical portion of your coverage in excluding emergency evacuation, if necessary. If nothing else, if offers peace of mind

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Jul 1, 2009
Norway
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Get insured. For us Europeans, we are covered by mutual agreements between countris (In the EU and associated countries). but still there is the questions of transportation, theft, etc. to be dealt with.

Peace of mind, and buen Camino.

Reactions: SabsP
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Feb 9, 2018
Florida,USA
omoperc.com
I am also retired military with tricare and I also have VA I still dont take any chances so I use this site
https://www.squaremouth.com/ To look at travel insurance. Well worth the peace of mind. Depending on the policy you choose some companies. Have concierge service and some will pay the doctor/hospital directly. Depending on what your needs are I would shop and compare before buying. I usually read the exclusions first before I even read what the policy actually covers
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

lissie45

May 3, 2018
New Zealand
midlifetravel.com
Planning to walk CF 2020 - once my partner recovers from cardiac surgery
Trip insurance for the Camino is pretty cheap vs insuring for a cruise, because, other than your flights, you have very little in the way of prepaid expenses.
Prepaid expenses are a minor consideration. - it’s medical that costs and repatriation. We typically pay around $700 us for my partner to get insurance to cover pre existing health. I am yet to find any coverage for this trip - probably because it’s so long.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Renascer

May 30, 2021
Usa
Good Morning

First thank you for your service. I too am retired Military and have MediCare and TriCare coverage. It is true that TriCare will cover your medical expenses outside the US, whereas MediCare will not (btw not suggesting you are over 65:) ). Consider two things; one, transportation is often the bigger headache in a medical emergency, and while TriCare will cover it, it may be difficult and require cash payment up front. With private insurance there would be little conversation about transportation. And two, look at USAA travel insurance, it is based on the cost of the trip. Usually the only cost is Air Fare so insurance can be as little as $80. Well worth the cost.

We were with a young lady two years ago on the CF and she contracted the "pilgrim flu" and became quite dehydrated and spent a night in the hospital. The care was quick and very good. No delays, no questions. Don't worry.

Buen Camino
Bob
Thank u for the info. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.