• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble finding a bed on the Norte

StumpyDave

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte to Primitivo 7/22. Finistère/Muxia 8/22.
Is anyone else having trouble finding accommodation past Aviles? I’m walking now and the bed race can rival the Frances. Looking for something, anything for tomorrow night past Muros de Nalon and can’t find anything within 75km. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a bad luck. Is this also between Irun and Bilbao?
Aviles is way past Bilbao. It is just past Gijon.
If you need to see a good website that has maps, distances and albergues check out:
Also Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino are both excellent apps for the Norte.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, thank you. We are in Pension Pozo tonight. Having trouble past tonight though. Yes, I am a Gronze veteran. One of the reasons I’m a bit shocked at the lack of availability…I know a lot of the tricks and resources! This is my 4th Camino, and the second on the Norte! :)
You probably know then that August is the busiest month on the Norte!

Private Albergue at Old Railway Station in Novelanna? Phone them... lady is from uk

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Call, you never know,

Screenshot_20230820_175624_Contacts.jpg

Is there a regional holiday tomorrow?

For the following day, instead of Cadavedo I've stayed at Casa Carin in Villademoros twice. They are two bedroom holiday apartments, but they will rent each bedroom separately. Call for the best price.

Is anyone else having trouble finding accommodation past Aviles? I’m walking now and the bed race can rival the Frances. Looking for something, anything for tomorrow night past Muros de Nalon and can’t find anything within 75km. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
This is a nice place in the beautiful seaside town of Cudillero just off the Norte. I stayed there in May this year. It's about 5km after Muros and because it is a detour of 1 or 2 km off the camino there may be less demand 🙏

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So sorry to hear about your lack of accommodations.

What’s your feeling on what is filling up the rooms? August tourists? Surfers? Is it across all styles of accommodations? Hope you found something.

Last Sept/Oct (2022) I had problems also finding accomodation on del Norte and tried to be off-stage. A couple of nights I needed to stay outside sleeping on the ground on my plastic bag! I started booking one day in advance and this helped..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, thank you. We are in Pension Pozo tonight. Having trouble past tonight though. Yes, I am a Gronze veteran. One of the reasons I’m a bit shocked at the lack of availability…I know a lot of the tricks and resources! This is my 4th Camino, and the second on the Norte! :)
I start the Norte on Sept 3. I hope the crowds lighten up by mid-month.

I start the Norte on Sept 3. I hope the crowds lighten up by mid-month.
Me too! We are on our way from Ribadeo to Lourenza. And while it’s been a bit easier since my original post, the demand is still very high. We were turned away from La Caridad and had to take a taxi back to Navia to stay the night. Then had to taxi back the next morning to start walking to Ribadeo. I’m sure the crowd (especially the Spanish vacationers) will subside by the time you start and only get thinner as you progress. Good luck to you and Buen Camino!

Me too! We are on our way from Ribadeo to Lourenza. And while it’s been a bit easier since my original post, the demand is still very high. We were turned away from La Caridad and had to take a taxi back to Navia to stay the night. Then had to taxi back the next morning to start walking to Ribadeo. I’m sure the crowd (especially the Spanish vacationers) will subside by the time you start and only get thinner as you progress. Good luck to you and Buen Camino!
Summer holidays 2023 for the Spaniards: 11 weeks between the end of June and the middle of September. 😳

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did Camino del Norte and started in Llanes started to walk on May 8th., and had no problem finding places. Yes made a few reservations but usually the day before. Mind you a cheaper fare in early May is the only reason went in May.

I did Camino del Norte and started in Llanes started to walk on May 8th., and had no problem finding places. Yes made a few reservations but usually the day before. Mind you a cheaper fare in early May is the only reason went in May.
Finding accommodation on the Norte is much different in May than in July and August! I've walked it in the past in July, and this year in May/June, and there was a big difference in the number of pilgrims.

I've just booked flights starting from Santander on the 20 September. Would the advice be to book ahead. Don't really want to but is it necessary?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just booked flights starting from Santander on the 20 September. Would the advice be to book ahead. Don't really want to but is it necessary?
I would think that with the tourist season waning that you shouldn't need to reserve at the end of September. I would reserve a place in Santander though.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back