Tui - O Porriño

Catarina Barreiros

Jan 22, 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hi we walked this part of the Camino last Monday and we followed the green 'desvio' arrows since the path bu the Louro river is flooded and too muddy,
Since then the weather is much better since it stopped raining so maybe the path will be better soon.
Just to let you know!
Bom Caminho :)

Reactions: mishlove
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

judydaisy

Jul 27, 2011
Sussex
Sarria - Santiago 2004
Roncesvalles - Estella 2009
Camino Ingles - 2012
Tui - Santiago - 2014
Hear hear. We'll be passing through the last week of May. But I'm a little confused:confused:. I thought there were only two ways - the one through the industrial park and the "new" one via the river. Where or what are the green 'desvio' arrows? Hopefully by May all will be dry and I won't have to worry about them but just in case....
Thanks.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Hear hear. We'll be passing through the last week of May. But I'm a little confused:confused:. I thought there were only two ways - the one through the industrial park and the "new" one via the river. Where or what are the green 'desvio' arrows? Hopefully by May all will be dry and I won't have to worry about them but just in case....
Thanks.

I've seen something about this detour using green arrows. This is the new one near the river.

Best Regards
Diogo

Catarina Barreiros

Jan 22, 2014
Portuguese
Hi Judydaisy!
You're right there are 2 paths: the old through the industrial area and the new one by the river. This detour exists maybe just now during the winter/rainy season, so probably in May or June this won't be an issue!
Bom Caminho :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
I like walking on trails. I rather prefer that to walk on roads or high populated areas. But I can't say that I prefer the detour that goes around O Porriño. First of all, there are no cafes, only some vending machines, which sometimes don't work. Then, you have to walk at least extra 3km. And when you are finally reaching O Porriño, you still have factories on your right side (where they make the hams and the chouriços), and highway part on your left side.

So, it’s kind of a thing that you have to choose. On wet weather, sometimes you will catch some areas that look dried, but they are flooded, and are soggy and in the end it0s just like a swamp.

If you go through there, take water, and something to eat, don't really count with some places to do your refill.

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Jan 5, 2013
Left California - Now living in CH
astrospiral.wordpress.com
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
Walked through the river area last week...and it is most delightful. Yes, has some muddy and mucky spots...but nothing what can't be handled.
Was delighted that i could avoid the ugly industrial bits.
And there is also a cafe ...perhaps 30 meters off caminho road. Forgot name...but can be seen from the small main road. It is somewhere near the soccer field ( which is to your right)
They served good caffe and yummy cake/bread.
And the river path ends right at the albergue....where i stayed.
Has kitchen, but ZERO equipment. Hospitaliero was kind...and friendly.
Got some cold cuts/ bread at near by mercado and shared a bottle of cava with a fellow pilgrim..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Walked through the river area last week...and it is most delightful. Yes, has some muddy and mucky spots...but nothing what can't be handled.
Was delighted that i could avoid the ugly industrial bits.
And there is also a cafe ...perhaps 30 meters off caminho road. Forgot name...but can be seen from the small main road. It is somewhere near the soccer field ( which is to your right)
They served good caffe and yummy cake/bread.
And the river path ends right at the albergue....where i stayed.
Has kitchen, but ZERO equipment. Hospitaliero was kind...and friendly.
Got some cold cuts/ bread at near by mercado and shared a bottle of cava with a fellow pilgrim..

You can thank that to all the people who never clean the dishes and the kitchen. They want to end with equiped kitchens of the Xunta Albergues. It was Jose, from the Albergue in Porriño who told me that.

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Jan 5, 2013
Left California - Now living in CH
astrospiral.wordpress.com
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
Yes, this a sad chapter of communal living...and i entirely get the point of the hospitalieros. They are not in the business of raising adults.
I am often in denial about just how unaware some people are. In porrino i was rather stunned that a blond german woman ( and don't bite me head off because i mentioned the nationality) left her entire rubbish of beer bottle, coke cans and scattered nuts underneath the bed... And left the disposable sheet and pillow cover on the bed as well...
I was tempted to remove it all so the hospitaliero would not need to do it...then reconsidered because i thought the hospedaliero might as well see who leaves the rubbish behind ( he knew who was in which bunk).
One could think it was perhaps her one-off action...but no such luck. Had the misfortune to encounter her and her friend again further on in another albergue, and she repeated that stunt without any apparent difficulty.
I do wonder though how life is being lived when ones action ( or lack of) require constant clean- up action or looking after by others. Wonder what might result? Several future lifetimes of servitude?
:-/
I for one would be in favour for having people sign a note of responsibilities while staying in a municipal albergue...
Spelling out things one usually learns in kindergarden...
Okay, off me soap box now.... But i really do understand why the kitchen was that bare. And what behaviour made it so.
Saluti caro diogo!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
What worries me the most, it's that they want to take also the stove, and put a microwave oven has a replacement. Which, actually sucks because in my opinion, this reduces the possibilities for you to cook.

Say no more @amorfati1 , when you have a sign saying "Please turn off ALL LIGHTS when you leave the Albergue in the morning", and you find almost all the lights on, you see that people don't really respect the subject. I was the last to leave the Albergue in O Porriño, and it was I who turned off all the lights (bed by bed).

I like Porrino. All those acres and acres of Citroens, It's mesmerising, like a prayer wheel or something: Citroen, Citroen, Citroen...

Maybe it's because I live in the bush on the fringe of a big forest, but I always enjoy the industrial areas and urban approaches. It's interesting to see what people are making or fixing or storing. And you get good cafes, my fave being the big worker's cafe on the way into Burgos.

Reactions: Whalleyranger
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Magwood

Veteran Member
Feb 19, 2013
Bristol, UK
www.magwood.me
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Here is an image of the route, with a great cafe marked at 4 km, excellent bacon roll for 2 euros - big enough for breakfast and lunch. And the other photo is of a camino amigo who stopped me to explain the 'battle of the arrows'. He said he goes out very day painting over arrows that have been blacked out. See my post for full story http://www.wp.me/p3azEo-Nk

image.jpg image.jpg

Dutch

Straightforward
Jan 21, 2014
www.idonthaveone.sorry
SJPP-SdC sept '13
Porto-SdC May '14
SdC-Finis/Muxia May '14
SJPP-Finisterre sept '14
Pamplona-Burgos march '15
Porto - Sdc may '15
Camino salkantay june '15
SJPP - SdC aug/sept '15

Pacific Crest Trail april thru sept 2016
Urgh, i walked the industrial area because of all these confusing arrows everywhere. When i knew i took the old route, i did not feel like going back. It went wrong 'cause i was looking for breakfast, which i found in some sort of hotel. It was the worst breakfast ever. :mad:

Lucky for me i was there on a saturday, so it wasn't busy at all on the industrial area.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

amancio

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2007
Durcal, Granada
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
I might be entering Porriño in 2 weeks' time, and I want to double check about this diversion

1) where exactly does it start? Anybody has a photo?
2) where it starts, you turn left, is that correct?
3) once you choose the river diversion, are the arrows deleted all the way to Porriño?

thanks for any info!

juansofia

Jan 13, 2012
Belgium - Aarschot
Camino de Invierno 2013
Camino Portugues 2014
There really are two desviations, the first one before the plogono industrial avoiding the Citroen Parking, the second one just before entering Porrino.
The first one is very wel indicated and you'll have no trouble following the arrows.
The second ons starts at the Peugeot garage entering Porrino. We encountered most arrows painted over inblack, but they were rather easy to follow. Anyway just follow the river and it will take you straight to the albergue at Porrino.
Both desviations start to the left.
Hope you'll enjoy

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: amancio
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Dear all, I have not stayed at this place myself, but I just had a pilgrim in my office telling me about a really bad experience here. Bad enough that I feel I should let people know. Doing a...
We are starting to walk the Camino from Lisboa at the end of May. We believe we have two option if we want to walk the Camino Portugeese from Lisboa and to visit Fatima on our Camino, (1) I...
I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Hello, I am walking the Portuguese Central starting in Porto on July 24. I have read that many people consider the first day out of Porto to be unpleasant because it is too much in the city...
We are starting our 2nd Camino at the end of May starting is Lisboa (Last year we walked the Camino Frances). We believe that this part of the camino starting from Lisboa is less supported than...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides