• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultra lightweight backpack--worth it?

ChrisMayou

Time of past OR future Camino
del Norte planned for Sept 1, 2024
70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a Women's Deuter 28 L pack weighing 3 lb. 2 oz. (1418 grams) mostly because I already own it and it's small enough to use as airline carryon. I could spend a small fortune and get a Women's Arc Haul Ultra 60 L (smallest women's size Zpack makes) which weighs only 20.3 oz / 575.0 g. This is a difference of almost two pounds! (1.86 pounds; 1418 grams difference) I'm tempted. Can anyone share information that might help me decide? Thank you! https://zpacks.com/products/womens-arc-haul-ultra-60l-backpack

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whatā€™s most important to you? Saving money or saving weight? Is your Deuter pack comfortable? (I have a Deuter and it fits me perfectly, which makes carrying it seem less effort than lighter packs I have tried that were just not the right shape for me)

Whatā€™s most important to you? Saving money or saving weight? Is your Deuter pack comfortable? (I have a Deuter and it fits me perfectly, which makes carrying it seem less effort than lighter packs I have tried that were just not the right shape for me)
Saving weight! Just wondering if 2 pounds is a ā€œcriticalā€ difference when one is hiking long days, many days in a row. The ultra lightweight pack Iā€™m considering has a hip belt; many donā€™t.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do they have an even lighter 30L pack? Iā€™m not sure that 60L will work as a carryon. That extra 2lbs of pack weight is more than 15% of your total goal, so itā€™s worth it if you have the money and it fits you. If it doesnā€™t, than no weight savings makes it a good deal

Iā€™ve used Osprey for years and have fine tuned packing for the Tempest 30. But I tried a Gossamer Gear on a summer GR65 trip and it worked pretty well. 18 ounces or so and I replaced the standard back pad with a mesh one to add some back ventilation. You have to have your gear dialed in pretty light for the Loris 25, so not great for cooler weather Caminos. The Murmur 36 was on sale recently, also about 18 ounces and I can flip hip belts between them. I like the Loris better but need more gear and a sleeping bag for an upcoming Spring Camino so will give the Murmur a try. Thereā€™s always the old Osprey as a backup!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Hi. I think it is right when thinking of weight to start with the rucksack too .. and the truth is that every extra ounce we carry we feel - all of it is felt down the legs, ankles, and the feet.

You can go lighter without going crazy on cost. Go Outdoors, Blacks, etc, stock the Technicals rucksacks and the 28l Glencoe is a really nice pack, well made, comfortable, fully featured, and only weighs 880gms (the listings give 520gms, which is incorrect) which is over half a kilo lighter than your current pack.
I have one and although listed as a 28l it seems much larger to me, comparable to a 35l. Sells for Ā£65 and they sometimes come up on Ebay too (there is one on there now for Ā£49, 'new other').
Oh, hang on, this is UK and I see that you are in the US? Don't know if they are available over there.

Last edited:
My son has used an ULA CDT on many Caminos and long hikes in the US. It looks as new as the day he bought it about six years ago; no wear at stress points, has a hip belt, and absolutely no fading. I just looked online and it weighs just less than 2 lbs. and is 55L. It does not look that big as the top rolls down to the size of whatever is in the pack. It always qualifies to go in the cabin area when flying international as it does not have a rigid internal frame. This brand could be an option to consider, with several models to choose from.
(I have edited my post to reflect the correct model name.)

Last edited:
Chris, this is the lighter version of what you currently own. Itā€™s 1/2 lb lighter. I love mine and 0.5 lb lighter makes a huge difference to me due to multiple and accumulating bony wear and tear and age (waving at 70) sign and symptoms. There are many sales throughout the year. Let us know what you figure out.

Attachments

• IMG_7130.png
    IMG_7130.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7131.png
    IMG_7131.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 45
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To me, the weight is a big deal; nearly as much as the fit. I am a rather small framed woman and my older Osprey Sirrus 36L is heavy at 3.5 lbs. I'd much prefer to have a newer, lightweight 1.5 lb. backpack. I am careful to pack mine as light as possible for a variety of spring or fall weather conditions, but it always feels heavy...shaving off 2 more lbs. sounds great to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FWIW... I have an ultralight pack and I don't think the brand is important (though it's a "leader" in the field). All the ultra-lights rely on the same design: absence of frame or much structure. In essence it's 4 sections of parachute material sewn together with straps and hip belt. And I will never take it on a camino or any long hike.
Once it has my stuff in it, and I lug it around for a few kms, I find I'm exhausted and sore -- even though it removes 2.5 to 3 pounds of base weight as compared to my internal frame packs with all the zippers and pulls and extra padding.
Weight is not the *only* feature in our comfort. I have facet arthritis in my sacral and lumbar spine, along with complete disk collapse in the lower lumbar and upper sacral joints.
And I will take those "extra pounds" of weight in my framed packs (a 32 L and a 36 L) to avoid having the stress of an ultra-light design that compresses and pulls on all the wrong spots.

To me, the weight is a big deal; nearly as much as the fit. I am a rather small framed woman and my older Osprey Sirrus 36L is heavy at 3.5 lbs. I'd much prefer to have a newer, lightweight 1.5 lb. backpack. I am careful to pack mine as light as possible for a variety of spring or fall weather conditions, but it always feels heavy...shaving off 2 more lbs. sounds great to me.
Before you invest, take this caution. I thought as you do, and now I use my ultralight for nothing more than light use around town on errands. Worst investment of my sporting life.

FWIW... I have an ultralight pack and I don't think the brand is important (though it's a "leader" in the field). All the ultra-lights rely on the same design: absence of frame or much structure. In essence it's 4 sections of parachute material sewn together with straps and hip belt. And I will never take it on a camino or any long hike.
Once it has my stuff in it, and I lug it around for a few kms, I find I'm exhausted and sore -- even though it removes 2.5 to 3 pounds of base weight as compared to my internal frame packs with all the zippers and pulls and extra padding.
Weight is not the *only* feature in our comfort. I have facet arthritis in my sacral and lumbar spine, along with complete disk collapse in the lower lumbar and upper sacral joints.
And I will take those "extra pounds" of weight in my framed packs (a 32 L and a 36 L) to avoid having the stress of an ultra-light design that compresses and pulls on all the wrong spots.
I will only consider an ultralight backpack that has a frame and fits well. Thanks for underscoring that issue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much to everyone who replied, and with such detail! It looks like there are more options than I imagined! To get the ball rolling, I ordered a hip-belt, internal frame Flash Air 50 womenā€™s pack from REI that is almost as light as the first one I considered, and with a 20%off coupon and its initial lower price, it will be only $240. Plus, it will be easy and free to return if I need to. I think, when not full, it will compress to Delta Airlineā€™s carry-on dimensions. Iā€™ll check into the ones folks recommended too. So excited!

Before you invest, take this caution. I thought as you do, and now I use my ultralight for nothing more than light use around town on errands. Worst investment of my sporting life.
My son has had absolutely no problems with his ultralight ULA on the Caminos and it has a large amazing stretchy pouch in back for incidentals that I wish mine had.
He has two other large Osprey heavy packs used on the long distance AT, JMT and Colorado trails.
I doubt I will invest in an ultra-light this year as my Osprey still serves me well, but I do have a bit of "envy-itis" of the ultra light options.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This year I am trying out the 5.11 Cloudstryke 18L pack. The vest style straps are adjustable and I am hoping this is a comfortable way to carry my Camino gear. Itā€™s heavier than the pack from Gossamer Gear, but the weight distribution is different as I will carry water in the front pockets.

My husband has a 6 Moons Design ultra light pack. It was pricey, but even though he ordered it online, the manufacturers gave a lot of guidance about fitting the pack. Had him load it and then walk around the park at home and had me take photos of the fit from various angles and then gave feedback on adjustments. It is much lighter than his old Osprey pack. It has stretchy pockets and he has the "vest" carry configuration so has a place in front for a water bottle and other items he want easy access to.

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a Women's Deuter 28 L pack weighing 3 lb. 2 oz. (1418 grams) mostly because I already own it and it's small enough to use as airline carryon. I could spend a small fortune and get a Women's Arc Haul Ultra 60 L (smallest women's size Zpack makes) which weighs only 20.3 oz / 575.0 g. This is a difference of almost two pounds! (1.86 pounds; 1418 grams difference) I'm tempted. Can anyone share information that might help me decide? Thank you! https://zpacks.com/products/womens-arc-haul-ultra-60l-backpack
I'll weigh in as I was 72 on my Camino in 22 that included two weeks on the Norte. My pack is a 26L Deuter and I carried a bit less than 15 pounds. It was such a good fit that it felt a part of me right away and I missed it for several weeks after returning home.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked with an osprey aura first Camino. Too heavy for me. I switched to osprey eja, light weight. It made all the difference for me. The Norte is quite hilly so as little weight as possible is my mantra.

I recommend that you search for "Ultralight Backpack." You will get many leads. There are dozens of manufacturers of quality ultralight rucksacks / backpacks in the US.

Two quality manufactureres that come to mind are Gossamer Gear and Ultralight (ULA Equipment). But there are many others. ZPacks has been among the highest rated ultralight bags for a few years, and their prices reflect that.

I also suggest that you might find a comparable bag, made of Dynema, robic nylon, or whatever miracle fabric is being featured these days. The market changes annually, as someone comes up with "a better mousetrap."

You can also run a query for "reviews ultralight backpacks." There are many of these too.

As someone correctly noted above, lighter is more expensive. You must place a value on carrying an extra 2 - 3 pounds of backpack weight around, even if empty - versus carrying less weight - loaded or not.

Good luck.

Tom

in my experience, an ounce can count. and i have NO experience with long hauls such as the Camino. Not 500 miles. 30 miles or so in the Winds and 25 miles or so in Washington. a lot of elevation climb. and i have packed as light as i feel comfortable packing. I expect the first day to discover more ways to save weight.

i invested into a Hyperlite pack that I am very pleased with. and while i have not done more than 6 miles with the pack, i feel confident that I can succeed in my journey on the Camino. Form fitting should be of great import! again, happy to have invested a few dollars to save my back a beating.. lol. buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
My son has had absolutely no problems with his ultralight ULA on the Caminos and it has a large amazing stretchy pouch in back for incidentals that I wish mine had.
He has two other large Osprey heavy packs used on the long distance AT, JMT and Colorado trails.
I doubt I will invest in an ultra-light this year as my Osprey still serves me well, but I do have a bit of "envy-itis" of the ultra light options.
My ultralight does have some kind of extremely minimal interior frame, but itā€™s just not up to the taskā€¦ and I think the reason why is that it is missing the usual load-lifters and density of foam and material on the shoulder strapsā€¦ so while they appear fine when I first put the pack on, they sort of squish and pull down to about 2/3 their width and I end up with really sore shoulders plus a sore lumbar spine, and I suspect that there would be a lot of load transfer to my knees if I were try to put it to the test.
I spend a considerable amount of time living in a kind of remote area and that is where it gets the most use because I can toss it on my back and load it up with a stupendous amount of groceries, then ride my bikeā€¦
It has great pockets, and an enormous stretchy one on the exterior back panelā€¦
I think the company actually discontinued the line so I might as well name it because people wonā€™t be able to purchase it anyway and maybe the company has something better now, but I will be ever cautious and try to resist ā€œultra-light envyā€ with the knowledge that my extra base-weight is actually more comfortable.
My failed pack is an Osprey Lumina and I think itā€™s a 40L capacity. Iā€™ve never put more than my usual 9 pounds of actual gear into it for hiking, so Iā€™ve never *hiked* with more than 10 pounds all in. My usual Osprey Kyte packs weigh about 14 lbs all in if I take the larger capacity one, and 12.5 pounds if I take the smaller one and they remain wildly more comfortable across endurance treks, through hikes, etc.

[edit to add: I'm always carrying about 2 pounds of weird meds and delivery devices for them, so others might be able to get away with a sub-11-pound pack, even with a full frame -- like the Kyte -- and this would be especially so if you're walking in warmer months].

Last edited:
I bought the Hyperlight Unbound 40 - $$ but less than the zpack by a few bucks. 29.6oz/839grams. Waist belt and the fit is absolutely perfect. For me, comfort is king (queen) :) which means light as possible.

I walked 2 caminos (Frances), the first in 2016 and the second in 2019. I bought a ZPack Arc in 2016 and used it for both and for numerous other hiking jaunts. I really loved this pack! I'm about your height and a few pounds heavier, if that helps. I was 67 on the first, 70 on the second camino.

My guess is that this particular model has been upgraded since then, but I was very happy with it. Just FYI.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. I think it is right when thinking of weight to start with the rucksack too .. and the truth is that every extra ounce we carry we feel - all of it is felt down the legs, ankles, and the feet.

You can go lighter without going crazy on cost. Go Outdoors, Blacks, etc, stock the Technicals rucksacks and the 28l Glencoe is a really nice pack, well made, comfortable, fully featured, and only weighs 880gms (the listings give 520gms, which is incorrect) which is over half a kilo lighter than your current pack.
I have one and although listed as a 28l it seems much larger to me, comparable to a 35l. Sells for Ā£65 and they sometimes come up on Ebay too (there is one on there now for Ā£49, 'new other').
Oh, hang on, this is UK and I see that you are in the US? Don't know if they are available over there.

I just noted that the 28L Glencoe is on sale for only Ā£19.97! Unfortunately, no international shipping available unless you happen to know a Brit military member living in the States...

#1 Fit/comfort, #2 weight.
66yo, 185 lbs.
I'm a ounce chaser that prioritizes.
My Camino base weight is 14 lbs.
My AppalachianTrail base weight is 19 lbs.
I have the Osprey Exos 48 that is the lightest, framed pack I could find back then. (Not a carry-on) It's not the "lightest" pack available, but after 5 years carrying it, I'm still happy.

Last year, on the AT with grand-kids, my son-in-law was carrying a frameless, dyneema, ultra-light pack, base weight 16 lbs. On one section, I was off-trail and he took my pack instead. For a 3 day section, we usually hike out around 8 lbs. over base. (supplies for kiddos add up fast) After that 3 day section, he was amazed how comfortable he was carrying my "3 lbs. heavier" load. šŸ˜‰

Fit/comfort is most important.
If your pack works, you might try an ultra-light, but don't sacrifice your fit/comfort for long days.

Also, my grandkids carried Gossamer Sumo 36 packs. I was very impressed with the quality of those 19 oz. kits that could easily meet carry on dimensions.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have the Osprey Exos 48 that is the lightest, framed pack I could find back then. (Not a carry-on) It's not the "lightest" pack available, but after 5 years carrying it, I'm still happy.
My daughter in law purchased this exact backpack for her one and only Camino and she loved it and never had even one complaint on our 500 mile Camino in 2017.

Iā€™m just blown away with all the good information on this thread. Thank you everyone for responding. I did a search before posting and didnā€™t really find the info that I wanted. If someone else does a search and I find this thread, I think theyā€™ll be very happy.

Hi Iā€™m a seasoned walker And 71, 5 ft and small frame. Go light every time. Adding water and some fruit will quickly add the extra. Just make sure it fits well. Heavy can spoil the walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Saving weight! Just wondering if 2 pounds is a ā€œcriticalā€ difference when one is hiking long days, many days in a row. The ultra lightweight pack Iā€™m considering has a hip belt; many donā€™t.
I'm an avid backpacker that owns several different types of packs. 2 pounds does make a big difference. Particularly on your feet, knees and hips. The downside of lightweight packs is that they usually have thinner padding on the hip belt and shoulder pads. If you're trying to keep your weight down to 12 lbs, the thinner padding shouldn't be a problem, but I did notice that lack of padding the first time I wore an ultralight pack!
You need to find a happy medium between pack weight and the comfort of the pack on your body. Your pack is going to be part of you! You don't want to end up hating it every day of your trip!

FWIW, on my last walk I used the Gossamer Gear Minimalist 19L backpack. My baseweight was 10lbs, not including water. It was plenty enough for my needs and what I was carrying at that time.
No hip belt or ventilation for your back. It sounds like that was not a problem for you. How many hours per day were you walking? Thnx!

Hi Chris, I swapped out a heavy pack, for an arc haul, 50L. Best move I ever made. While I am male, I do a lot of hiking short and long distance. With many female hikers, very few have ever had a female only designed pack. If you pack is for a camino in Spain, 60L is way to large. I would suggest the 40L, which from experience is plenty. However, bottom line get a pack that is comfortable for you, and that meets for size requirements that is within your budget. I have over 3000km on my Zpacks arc haul and would not use anything else, it is light, durable, water proof and for me very comfortable. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Chris, I swapped out a heavy pack, for an arc haul, 50L. Best move I ever made. While I am male, I do a lot of hiking short and long distance. With many female hikers, very few have ever had a female only designed pack. If you pack is for a camino in Spain, 60L is way to large. I would suggest the 40L, which from experience is plenty. However, bottom line get a pack that is comfortable for you, and that meets for size requirements that is within your budget. I have over 3000km on my Zpacks arc haul and would not use anything else, it is light, durable, water proof and for me very comfortable. Buen Camino
@Dodger thank you. I may still be looking into the arc haul. I agree that 60L is way too big. Maybe a unisex pack would be just fine.

@Dodger thank you. I may still be looking into the arc haul. I agree that 60L is way too big. Maybe a unisex pack would be just fine.
I think that the important thing to look at is torso length. Although 60L is much larger than you need, if the pack is lightweight, carries well, and you can compress it down to fit what's inside that size wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

I think that the important thing to look at is torso length. Although 60L is much larger than you need, if the pack is lightweight, carries well, and you can compress it down to fit what's inside that size wouldn't be a deal killer for me.
@trecile I'm thinking that I want a pack that will qualify for airline carry-on, so that will be a big limiting factor. But it's very interesting checking out all the possibilities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No hip belt or ventilation for your back. It sounds like that was not a problem for you. How many hours per day were you walking? Thnx!
I try to keep my days at around 20 kmsā€¦ about 7-8 hours per day, including stops for breaks/meals.

I try to keep my days at around 20 kmsā€¦ about 7-8 hours per day, including stops for breaks/meals.
Impressive. Itā€™s good to know that your pack can work well for a full day.

Chris, this is the lighter version of what you currently own. Itā€™s 1/2 lb lighter. I love mine and 0.5 lb lighter makes a huge difference to me due to multiple and accumulating bony wear and tear and age (waving at 70) sign and symptoms. There are many sales throughout the year. Let us know what you figure out.
+1 for the Deuter Speed Lite 28. Very light, very supportive and comfortable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE BACKPACK!! It is about everything you carry, and every ounce matters in longer daily distances.

Some people recommend applying a cost per ounce they are willing to spend to reduce the load, say ie, $5 per oz, $10, $25, etc. Usually the cost goes up exponentially as you reduce weight, but not always. For instance, I had an Osprey Stratus that weighed 3 lbs on my first Caminos. Then an Osprey Talon came on sale for $85 weighing 2 lbs. I have it used on 8 Caminos. It's fantastic. When my (todays price) $300 LL Bean Gortex shell weighing 24 oz failed after 20 years, I bought a FrogToggs outfit for $25--the Mens XL coat weights 5.5 oz and covers both me and my pack, obviating the pack rain shell. I replaced the FrogToggs rain pants with a 2 oz rain skirt for $12.

You need to look at each piece of your gear and calculate costs to reduce its weight and size, and possibly increase its utility to take place of another piece of gear or two.

Last year I replaced my 24 oz $25 Coleman fleece sleep liner which was plenty warm through 3 seasons with a $230 Sea to Summit Traveler zippered quilt, which was pretty much a 50 deg F sleeping bag weighing 14 oz. It is warmer, lighter, easier to pack, packs less than half the size of the fleece, and does not stick to me as I roll around in my sleep. $23 per ounce, but well worth it to me.

I saved an ounce per pair by going from zip-off leg hiking pants to non-zippered. They are $10 cheaper, lighter, easier to wash and the long legs reduce need for sunscreen and keep dust out of my sneakers. Roll up the legs and install safety pin to create shorts.

By carrying only one spare set of clothes and hand washing each night, I save the weight of the third "whatevers" most people carry.

Every year I look longingly at the Z-packs gear and read the reviews, but I would be getting near the $25/oz for a lot of ounces. It's easier just to lose 10 lbs in the month prior to Camino, plus I save money on food!!

Oh, and my pack base weight is 8 pounds. There are about 4 lbs on my person: clothes, money belt, hat, shoes, glasses and cell phone.

Iā€™ve succumbed to ultralight rucksacks three times in the last decade or so and determined to make them work for me. Every time, itā€™s not happened. I simply canā€™t adapt to the lack of back rigidity or the less engineered hip-belts.

I know they require more careful packing to create ā€˜ā€™structureā€™; but try as I might, I canā€™t get used to it. Iā€™d rather invest the extra kilo in the sack.

Weightā€™s important; but function and comfort are considerations also.

Iā€™ve succumbed to ultralight rucksacks three times in the last decade or so and determined to make them work for me. Every time, itā€™s not happened. I simply canā€™t adapt to the lack of back rigidity or the less engineered hip-belts.

I know they require more careful packing to create ā€˜ā€™structureā€™; but try as I might, I canā€™t get used to it. Iā€™d rather invest the extra kilo in the sack.

Weightā€™s important; but function and comfort are considerations also.
Iā€™m so very curious to see how the REI under-2-pound pack will feel compared with my very comfortable over-3-pound Deuter. Iā€™ll know soon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE BACKPACK!! It is about everything you carry, and every ounce matters in longer daily distances.

Some people recommend applying a cost per ounce they are willing to spend to reduce the load, say ie, $5 per oz, $10, $25, etc. Usually the cost goes up exponentially as you reduce weight, but not always. For instance, I had an Osprey Stratus that weighed 3 lbs on my first Caminos. Then an Osprey Talon came on sale for $85 weighing 2 lbs. I have it used on 8 Caminos. It's fantastic. When my (todays price) $300 LL Bean Gortex shell weighing 24 oz failed after 20 years, I bought a FrogToggs outfit for $25--the Mens XL coat weights 5.5 oz and covers both me and my pack, obviating the pack rain shell. I replaced the FrogToggs rain pants with a 2 oz rain skirt for $12.

You need to look at each piece of your gear and calculate costs to reduce its weight and size, and possibly increase its utility to take place of another piece of gear or two.

Last year I replaced my 24 oz $25 Coleman fleece sleep liner which was plenty warm through 3 seasons with a $230 Sea to Summit Traveler zippered quilt, which was pretty much a 50 deg F sleeping bag weighing 14 oz. It is warmer, lighter, easier to pack, packs less than half the size of the fleece, and does not stick to me as I roll around in my sleep. $23 per ounce, but well worth it to me.

I saved an ounce per pair by going from zip-off leg hiking pants to non-zippered. They are $10 cheaper, lighter, easier to wash and the long legs reduce need for sunscreen and keep dust out of my sneakers. Roll up the legs and install safety pin to create shorts.

By carrying only one spare set of clothes and hand washing each night, I save the weight of the third "whatevers" most people carry.

Every year I look longingly at the Z-packs gear and read the reviews, but I would be getting near the $25/oz for a lot of ounces. It's easier just to lose 10 lbs in the month prior to Camino, plus I save money on food!!

Oh, and my pack base weight is 8 pounds. There are about 4 lbs on my person: clothes, money belt, hat, shoes, glasses and cell phone.
All good points. Thanks.

I looked this up in Australia but it is not available here either. Also I can't get it shipped from the UK

Late to this, but realise that my experience with the Osprey Tempest 20l might be helpful as I'm about the same height, weight and age as you. Also aim to pack as light as possible to save hips, knees etc
I bought mine about ten years ago in a specialist outdoor shop where they fitted and adjusted it properly. It seemed very expensive at the time, but has been my best ever outdoor purchase. It's done numerous day hikes and shopping trips, is my main luggage whenever I travel, and has carried everything on around 70 days of Camino walking.
Osprey patched the pocket (free, there's a lifetime guarantee) last year. It is quite a tight pack for Camino, which won't suit everyone but perfectly doable with the help of a dry bag to compress down quilt and spare clothing. Everything goes inside it - no waist pack or things dangling off it. My base pack weight is a bit over 4 kilos; water and food on top of this of course.
I hope you find something which works for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Late to this, but realise that my experience with the Osprey Tempest 20l might be helpful as I'm about the same height, weight and age as you. Also aim to pack as light as possible to save hips, knees etc
I bought mine about ten years ago in a specialist outdoor shop where they fitted and adjusted it properly. It seemed very expensive at the time, but has been my best ever outdoor purchase. It's done numerous day hikes and shopping trips, is my main luggage whenever I travel, and has carried everything on around 70 days of Camino walking.
Osprey patched the pocket (free, there's a lifetime guarantee) last year. It is quite a tight pack for Camino, which won't suit everyone but perfectly doable with the help of a dry bag to compress down quilt and spare clothing. Everything goes inside it - no waist pack or things dangling off it. My base pack weight is a bit over 4 kilos; water and food on top of this of course.
I hope you find something which works for you.
Thanks for sharing. The current Osprey Tempest 20L is just under 2 pounds. I have a lot to consider!

I'm about your weight and height and only a year younger. As a Canadian I couldn't get zpack products for my first Camino in 2020 as they only shipped in the US. Went with a Osprey Eja weighing about the same as your Deuter. Managed to limit the weight of the packed bag to 12 pounds. The fit was terrific and I walked from SJPDP to Muxia in 36 days with no problems. Its dowable if your pack fits and carries well when packed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
  • !0 years ago someone on this forum recommended this OMM Ultralight bag . I love it and am now replacing it with the new version that has a Removable waistbelt (good storage within) (my old one still in use)
    • Weight - 420g​
    • Capacity - 32L​
    • OMM 32 litre
    • Waistbelt - Moveable for a better fit and allows you to store belongings.​
  • It works like a Stuff sack, the Top zipped compartment is very roomy. 2 mesh side pockets and very large mesh front pocket.​
  • It doesn't have a frame. I've found I don't like a frame. If you are going to Only carry 5/6kg this bag is perfect. I can carry up to 10kg in it and bring it on the Cheap flights as it fits under the seat in front. I'm putting this here as a suggestion as many people will read this thread and want ULtralight.​
(The new bag has arrived and I can Not recommend it, it is very different from the old one and Not suitable for a Multi day trail carrying all your belongings)
I'll be carrying the old one I reckon even with it's holes and wear and tear.)

Last edited:
I love my 28 liter Dueterand will use it starting April 13 from Porto. It has been my sole luggage on many journeys. Fits as a carry on for Airplane travel too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm planning to use a Women's Deuter 28 L pack weighing 3 lb. 2 oz. (1418 grams) mostly because I already own it and it's small enough to use as airline carryon. I could spend a small fortune and get a Women's Arc Haul Ultra 60 L (smallest women's size Zpack makes) which weighs only 20.3 oz / 575.0 g. This is a difference of almost two pounds! (1.86 pounds; 1418 grams difference) I'm tempted.
28L to 60L? I think youā€™ll easily gain back those 2 pounds when you decide to take a few extra things because you can fit themā€¦

Chris, have a look at the Osprey Exos Pro bags. I find mine very comfortable, practical, roomy and light. Jon

I carried the ZPack Nero on the Norte last year, and it is my pack for this year as well. 10.3 oz.

With 12 lbs, it would be fine.

I would have preferred my Osprey (and its belt) on the Norte, but my son wanted it. He got it (and most of the load!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I carried the ZPack Nero on the Norte last year, and it is my pack for this year as well. 10.3 oz.

With 12 lbs, it would be fine.

I would have preferred my Osprey (and its belt) on the Norte, but my son wanted it. He got it (and most of the load!)

Richard, you said that you're using your ZPack Nero for this year's Camino even though you would have preferred your Osprey last year. I'm confused!

Norte has lots of ups and downs, and the trail is often difficult underfoot, and not having a belt was very missed. I'm walking a flatter, less technical Camino starting in early April. The Nero will be fine for that.

Norte has lots of ups and downs, and the trail is often difficult underfoot, and not having a belt was very missed. I'm walking a flatter, less technical Camino starting in early April. The Nero will be fine for that.
Thanks for the clarification. The ultralight packs I'm considering have hip belts. Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the most important thing is really the fit.
I totally agree with this. An adjustment of my pack by someone who knew what they were doing took all the weight off my shoulders and the small of my back. My pack was well over 10% of my body weight, I did feel effort uphill (and the stairs into Portomarin!) due to the weight, but not a single chafe, ache or pressure point.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.