• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino in Spring 2007

Johnboy

Hello, I'm hoping to walk the Camino in early Spring next year. Therefore, I don't have much to say or contribute just yet, other than to wish all who are walking at the moment good luck, peace and happy times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking in spring 2007

Johnboy

Welcome! You will learn much on this site. I have. I don't post often but I read always. I too will be walking in the spring of 2007. April/May. Reading the books and the postings and looking at all the pictures has intrigured me and scared me. But I have decided to find out what I am made of, what I am able to do. With this in mind, Buen Camino.

Rosetta :lol:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re: Walking in spring 2007

whiterose0229 said:
Johnboy

Welcome! You will learn much on this site. I have. I don't post often but I read always. I too will be walking in the spring of 2007. April/May. Reading the books and the postings and looking at all the pictures has intrigured me and scared me. But I have decided to find out what I am made of, what I am able to do. With this in mind, Buen Camino.

Rosetta :lol:
Hello Rosetta,
thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to start in March next year (my back permitting!). I'm also reading as much as I can about the Camino - it does seem a bit scary but I am determined to give it a good go! Good luck.
John.

Walking in Spring

Listen guys, I don’t want to sound like a Mother Grundy but although spring can be a wonderful time on the camino, pilgrims planning to walk in February, March or even early April must be properly prepared for the weather conditions. If you search the word WEATHER in this forum you will find many reports of snow, sleet, gale force winds, heavy rains and mud in spring. Last year in March two men almost died crossing from St Jean to Roncesvalles.
The Confraternity of St James has this warning on their website:

“We recently heard an appalling story about two pilgrims who neglected local advice in St Jean Pied-de-Port and attempted to follow the Route Napoléon in snow. They very nearly died. We cannot emphasise too strongly: MOUNTAINS ARE DANGEROUS and LOCAL PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. Disregard their advice about weather conditions at your peril.”

In April, a woman wrote about being ‘forced to her knees on the camino” by freezing cold, knee high snow drifts and mud.

This is one of Peter's postings at the end of March.

"The snow in O Cebreiro may have all gone now, but it's been replaced by rain, rain and more rain. Gusts up to 120km/hr yesterday, and the normal rainfall for March in one day. Some photos at
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/albumes/ga ... 6323162516

Still snow on the Pyrenean tops, though

Later update: more flooding pictures here
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/index.php ... Itemid=295"

So, please plan your camino well, be prepared with the right gear, listen to the locals about the conditions and if you have to walk on the roads instead of the paths, ALWAYS face the oncoming traffic and be visible with reflective strips on your backpacks, covers or ponchos. Pilgrims die every year on the camino so be wise and be safe.
Buen Camino e viaje seguro,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, my partner and I are also planning to walk the Camino in May next year. We are really excited about this and are currently reading (or perhaps devouring) anything we can get our hands on about the Camino. It seems to have got under our skins since we first heard of it and decided to walk it. Anyone else feel like this?

Hi Shell!

Yes, I can understand about how the Camino can get under your skin. I first heard about it over a decade ago, pre-Internet, when the only information available was an article I came across in a travel magazine. Talk about getting frustrated for information! :shock:

I plan to start my Camino sometime next May, with or without a co-worker who says he wants to go with me. If he doesn't, I'm a bit concerned about travelling by myself as I am female. I've heard that you can do it, but I'd rather be in a group of people than by myself.

What sorts of preparation are you doing for the walk? I'm going to the gym, where I've been taking yoga for a couple of months & spinning for over a year.

dg

Hi DG, in preparation for my Camino I have just started to go the gym and my partner and I are planning to take advantage of the summer months to do some walking.

I have read a few articles on women who have travelled the Camino alone and not had any problems. There is some really good information on this forum with regards to trekking alone.

Hopefully, we will see you there

Shell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Johnboy,
I see you are thinking of March next year. Do you have any info. on whether there are plenty of refugios open at that time of year. A group of us are thinking of walking a part of camino, probably from Leon.
Saludos,
JD

Hi Johnboy,

I'm starting my Camino next spring ( in May ) but I'm starting from home = Belgium, Ypres. I'm doing the Camino in several times, hope to walk the first time for about 1 month and hope to arrive somewhere near Vézelay.

Although we won't meet each other, I wish you good luck with your Camino

Rose :)

Hi there, I'm planning to start my Camino from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the last week in May 2007. Really looking forward to it! And I'm also looking forward to meet people from all over the world, though I don't want it to be too crowded neither!! ;)

Wishing you all the best!

Jerome

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Johnboy said:
Hello, I'm hoping to walk the Camino in early Spring next year. Therefore, I don't have much to say or contribute just yet, other than to wish all who are walking at the moment good luck, peace and happy times.

Me too (Early retirement deal permitting).
Also thinking of leaving April/May 2007. I'm pretty sure I'm up to it physically - but my key concern at the moment is to avoid the kind of mad rushes at Refuges caused by too many Pilgrims.
Of course I want to meet a "sensible" number of other pilgrims but not to have too worry about getting up at 04.00hrs every day in order to ensure a bed for the following night.

Would like to start from Le Puy - but even in April/May would the Camino Frances be "Over-loaded" with other pilgrims????

Camino in Spring(ish) of 2007

I 'was' thinking of going in March, until I read the past posting about the weather then. (Thanks for the heads up on that by the way to the person who posted it). Now, count me in as another planning a trip in May, 2007. :)

I haven't recruited a travel partner yet, anyone leaving from the U.S. about that time of year who might be interested in having a travel buddy? I haven't made firm plans yet, so I'm still flexible with dates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino in May!

Hey now DG! That was a quick response to my posting. I checked your blog (and previous postings) and see that you are in Texas.. not so far from me I'm thinking. Has your co-worker backed out, or is he/she still up for the walk? I have told all my friends of this adventure, and so far, none have volunteered to come with. ;-)

Jewels

Well, I'll put him down as "tentative" at this point. :) But either way, it would be nice to know someone on the Camino if he does back out.

:oops: on edit: I should have said "even if he does come" so if you're walking alone, you'll have folks to look out for you on the Camino.

dg

Wolverine and Jewel

I'm planning on walking in late May/early June '07, leaving from Georgia, US. I'd love to talk to you guys about how you're planning everything, what you're doing to prepare, how you're going to get there, etc.--and even if we never meet, ultreya!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Katie! Talk away! :) Unfortunately, you'll be starting the Camino about the time I'll be finishing it, so we won't meet (this time). :( But do look into getting some of the guidebooks, especially the one from CSJ. I also have the Brierly guide (new edition) & the Bethan Davies one. The Brierly guide is very similar to the Mundicamino site: http://www.mundicamino.com/

You can choose your language there, but I do recommend learning some Spanish. I don't speak it all that well, but I can read it & write it okay.

Buen Camino!
dg

weather and time

may i suggest april/may/june. i travelled for 6 weeks, the flowers are out at the time, and the messetta is amazing, i loved it;
stop and smell the roses!!!
dawn
the completion at santiago is AMAZING, and it is an AMAZING city.
thanks ivar.

getting up at 4

ah... there are so many questions , you guys have no idea. there is no need to get up at 4 to get a bed. i went may and june and didn't have a problem. there are many different walkers. i prefered to be up at 5:30 to start walking just after 6, that way i got an amazing sunrise. I found 26km to be perfect for me.I stopped around 1 or 2, checked in, washed then hit the pilgrims meal, there are people that get going at 10, walk for abit, sleep under a tree and arrive at 8pm. i found it was best to be in a place by 4pm.
I call it the wave, and it is very hard to GET OFF, but remember listen to your body, i had shin splints and becuase of the time i had i stayed an extra day in leon, but i had to say good bye to everyone.
d

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

I'm also planning to start in early May 2007 from either Roncesvalles or Pamplona. In 2002 I completed a pilgrimage from Roncesvalles in 42 days starting last week in May and arriving first week in July, this time have decided to start a few weeks earlier to avoid the heat and also to enjoy the flowers for longer! Also looking forward to celebrating my 70th birthday during the pilgrimage on 23rd May.

Alan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.