• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start Norte route - Irun, Bilboa or Santander?

Ria Mattheus

Hi,me and my friend from South Africa plan to do the Camino Norte in Aug 2012. We are flying to Bilboa and thought of starting there. But I've read on the forum that a lot of people say the nicest part is from Irun to Bilboa? Is that true? Are we gonna miss the nicest part or must we travel to Irun to start there? And I also noticed that some say its not very nice from Bilboa to Santander? (a lot on main roads and through industrial areas) Or would you suggest that we rather catch a bus and start from Santander then? We have'nt got that much of time, so we dont want to "waste" it on not so nice stages! We did part of the Frances route in 2007 and want to explore now a other route. Thanks for all the interesting and funny info on the forum!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you don't have much time start at San Sebastian and walk to Bilbao - about 7 days. You could then get a bus to Santander and continue walking from there.

Hi Ria

The walk between irun and Bilbao is fab (if rather taxing) and an amazing experience, not to be missed. Also, the refuge at Guemes before Santander, is a highlight for many pilgrims (including me !!). The day out of Santander contains a lot of road walking, as does the walk out of Bilbao - so there are some parts that you can skip, since public transport is good out of Santander and Bilbao.

Best wishes

Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Ria,

I'm also flying into Bilbao and trying to decide where to start. had a great convo about this on another thread -- started out asking about downloading maps to ipad then got into chat about where to start.

check it out here:
el-camino-del-norte/topic14273.html

still havent decided. but will update when I get back (i'm there June 30-July 22)

best
Mira

Where to start Norte route?

Hi,

Im flying from london on 2nd of August to Biarritz, France and want to go Northern way but Im not sure where is the best to start, where should I go from Biarritz?

Thank you

Eli

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Where to start Norte route?

Bonjour, Eli.
As you will already be in Biarritz, you might consider hiking the coastal path from Biarritz to Irun. It takes two to three days following Sentier du Littoral, a coastal trail.

Alternately there is le Voie de la Côte( le Chemin de Saint Jacques/Camino), which is signed from Bayonne to Irun and runs slightly inland with less coastal hiking. Accommodation & route finding information are availble at the Pilgrims Desk in Bayonne Cathedral:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-del-norte/topic11152.html

Bon Chemin,
-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• _DSC2794[2].JPG
    _DSC2794[2].JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 3,340
Re: Where to start Norte route?

Thank you so much forquick replay and this usefull information!!
It looks so lovely,I can`t wait to go!!!

Regards

Eli

Eli, hi again. Here is a map of le Sentier Littoral which starts at Bidart, and two pdf files of the hiking pamphlet which I aquired from the Bayonne Tourist Office. From Biarritz to Bidart I followed the coast using a tourist map. There is a gite in Hendaye.

http://www.tourisme64.com/images/cdt_bearn/Nature-et-Rando/cartesentierdulittoral.jpg map of Sentier du Littoral

http://www.tourisme64.com/files/SL1.pdf Bidart to Saint-Jean-de-Luz

http://www.tourisme64.com/files/SL2.pdf Saint-Jean-de-Luz to Hendaye

Bayonne is well worth a visit, too. It is a beautiful place. Last year in Bayonne there was an exhibition of The Shroud of Turin in the Cathedral. Perhaps it is still on display.

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?rubrique397
pilgrim accommodation along le Chemin de St Jacques from Bayonne. More possibilities are available at Pilgrims Help Desk, Bayonne Cathedrale.

Cheers,
-Lovingkindness

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much for your help! I`ll print this all out and take it with me to plan it all.

I do have a few questions (actually alot) but I`ll ask few. Maybe silly question - but it is ok to sleep outside , I mean not staying at the camps and hotels, because that was my idea of doing this journey, kind of wild style.

And the other question - I wil have my fishing rod with me, is there any dangerous fishes I rather avoid to eat?

Thanks for answering my silly questions :)

Regards

Eli

eiliin_st said:
...it is ok to sleep outside , I mean not staying at the camps and hotels, because that was my idea of doing this journey, kind of wild style...I wil have my fishing rod with me, is there any dangerous fishes I rather avoid to eat...

You're welcome, Eli.

Wild camping is not permitted along the coast in France. Options from Biarritz are:

*Youth Hostels
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel020043.en.htm?himap=Y#book
Augerge de Jeunesse, Biarritz. Nearer the Camino from Bayonne & the airport

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel020029.en.htm?himap=Y#book
Auberge de Jeuneusse, Anglet. Nearer the Sentier du Littoral. It might be possible to camp on the lawn out back.

* Camping grounds. Lists of sites are available at any tourist office.

Fishing? What a delightful pastime. Sorry, but I can't help you here. I do recall, though, that in the Codex Calixtinus Pilgrims Guide (12th century) there is a warning against eating the fish in Spain and drinking water from certain streams.

-Lovingkindness

Oh is it not allowed? ok.. According to the guide you sent me in french (which I figured out somehow :D ) the walk takes about 6 hours only so I guess I would be staying somewhere in Irun. In Spain is it different law about sleeping outside? And I definitely will check the law about fishing. Hopefully there will be signs as well where it is not permited.

Regards

Eli

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...sure anything is possible but I think you may find it takes a little longer than 6 hours to hike from Biarritz to Irun with a tent on your back. In Bayonne I met several pilgrims walking the Voie de la Cote/Camino route. They were aiming at two days, stopping over in Saint-Jean-de-Luz to avoid staying in top dollar tourist hotels. I wasn't in any great hurry. I was captivated by the scenery and local culture and got a little sidetracked taking photos. I drifted as far as I felt able each day then found somewhere to camp or sleep.

Laws in France and Spain differ somewhat. So do the people, the languages and the food.... :). Enjoy yourself immensely, Eli, in whichever Way you choose....

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Attachments

• _DSC2785.JPG
    _DSC2785.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 3,198
Thank you so much for your help! I`ll print this all out and take it with me to plan it all.

I do have a few questions (actually alot) but I`ll ask few. Maybe silly question - but it is ok to sleep outside , I mean not staying at the camps and hotels, because that was my idea of doing this journey, kind of wild style.

And the other question - I wil have my fishing rod with me, is there any dangerous fishes I rather avoid to eat?

Thanks for answering my silly questions :)

Regards

Eli
there ia na alberque in irun , cant think there would be a problem sleeping out in spain along the norhtern route .Ask locals about fish..very cheap to eat

I loved from Irun to San Sebastian. How ever if it is raining I would not walk down the final hill into San Sebastian I would stop at the top and catch a cab from the restaurant/hostel down. Very slippery when wet and new packs and extra weight can make for a disastrous start to the Camino. I would keep walking from San Sebastian until Deba then take the EuskoTren to Bilbao. Sightsee for a day in Bilbao and take the train to Portugalete and walk from there to Guemes spending your last Camino night at the hostel in Guemes - cool hostel experience. I loved Luarca - but walking in and out weren't the best stages. So I would recommend Irun to Deba and Portugalete to Guemes.

I realize this is an older question - but for new people re-reading this post. . .

The best part of my Camino's was the first sections. Start in Irun if you can.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.