Which Camino would you do next?

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2018
London
johnelsewhere.blog
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
In 2018, I walked the Francés from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the autumn.

Then in 2019, I walked the Português from Porto in May.

In 2020, I wanted to walk the Francés again, but in the spring, to see how the experience compared.

Something got in the way, as it did for us all.

Now it feels like a good time to think about walking again.

So my question is which route to walk next?

Being an Englishman, I'm drawn to the Camino Inglés. But I've heard mixed opinions about that route.

I'm thinking about walking in April or May.

What would you recommend?

Reactions: irishrock
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

irishrock

Aug 14, 2018
Kansas City
Frances (1st three stages in 2016 and finished in 2017)
In 2018, I walked the Francés from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the autumn.

Then in 2019, I walked the Português from Porto in May.

In 2020, I wanted to walk the Francés again, but in the spring, to see how the experience compared.

Something got in the way, as it did for us all.

Now it feels like a good time to think about walking again.

So my question is which route to walk next?

Being an Englishman, I'm drawn to the Camino Inglés. But I've heard mixed opinions about that route.

I'm thinking about walking in April or May.

What would you recommend?
Were you happy with the timing on the Portugues route in May? I'm considering going over to do a Camino and am considering it late June early July (from Porto...doesn't seem like it'd be long)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2018
London
johnelsewhere.blog
Were you happy with the timing on the Portugues route in May? I'm considering going over to do a Camino and am considering it late June early July (from Porto...doesn't seem like it'd be long)
It was a fine time of year to walk, weather-wise.

But it didn't really feel like a Camino until I crossed into Spain, for some reason.

Don't get me wrong - it was another great experience and I met some fabulous people. But it lacked the special feeling I'd felt on the French Way until crossing the bridge between Tui and Valenca.

Reactions: palmah
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2018
London
johnelsewhere.blog
Watching Effren González on Le Chemin du Puy in southern France right now (YouTube)….about the same length as the Frances and finishes in St Jean Pied de Port…..looks idyllic!
I think I’ll need a shorter route this time!

Reactions: Martin 888
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
How much time do you want to spend walking? That's my first question when considering choice of Camino. If your thinking about a week, then the Ingles is a good choice and there's no sense in recommending the Madrid or the VDLP. If you are thinking about a month, then the Ingles is going to leave you with a lot of extra time on your hands.

pasiño a pasiño

sin dolor no hay gloria
Jan 19, 2022
Sweden
2018 Via de la Plata | next Francés again....
How much time do you want to spend walking? That's my first question when considering choice of Camino. If your thinking about a week, then the Ingles is a good choice and there's no sense in recommending the Madrid or the VDLP. If you are thinking about a month, then the Ingles is going to leave you with a lot of extra time on your hands.
I am not recommending the VdlP (either is my comment senseless), just the last 100km to Santiago in case he looks for a shorter version, because he mentioned Inglés.
By the way Sanabrés isn't VdlP! VdlP ends in Astorga. ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I am not recommending the VdlP (either is my comment senseless), just the last 100km to Santiago in case he looks for a shorter version, because he mentioned Inglés.
By the way Sanabrés isn't VdlP! VdlP ends in Astorga. ;)
I wasn't suggesting that you were recommending the VDLP. I picked it as an example a Camino somewhat longer than the Ingles.

dbier

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2022
US
Last 114km C. Frances, Jul 21
2023 - C. Primitivo
I'm leaning towards the English Way, but I'm open to suggestions!
I haven't done it yet....but I am planning and telling people that I wish to walk the Primitivo in later September 2023. It's about 13 days, if my health holds out. I don't have to try to learn Portuguese on top of my poquito español.

Depends very much on what you're looking for, I think.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I would go with your original plan - the Francés in the Spring. I had previously walked it in the Summer and early Autumn, so for my third go around on the Francés I wanted to see the landscape in the Spring, and I was not disappointed.

20190526_173509.jpg

Reactions: camino07

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides