Which hat looks better?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May 5, 2021
My kitchen table (CT,USA)
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
A, it looks better on you. But if you're wearing it on the Camino what are you going to do when you put on your poncho or rain jacket? It does not look packable. I wear my fedoras when I go fly fishing and in the rain all the time but not for hours.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
A looks more like a town hat but that may be because it's new
B is more pilgrim style

But really, wear what pleases you.
I think what you are really saying is that in general pilgrims look "frumpy".😂

D

Deleted member 73526

I think what you are really saying is that in general pilgrims look "frumpy".😂
Actually, I tried hard to avoid language that would read as a value judgment. To be honest, my preference is for what I have labeled "pilgrim style." I don't think of it as frumpy. I like it better than the "smart and debonair" look. But I may be in the minority.

Today I am doing video calls with clients at some very buttoned down companies from my home office in a frayed T-shirt and shorts that have seen a couple of thousand kilometers of trail. (They can't see the shorts). Perhaps Raggy is not the person to take sartorial advice from.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

RJM

Veteran Member
May 10, 2017
Camino's Frances, Fisterre, Portuges. Over 180 day
"A" looks way better, but if it's not packable it may not be the best for the Camino. I wear a version of "B" on the Camino. We called that style a "boonie hat" in the military. I like them for the Camino because they're cheap, they're packable and I can saturate it with water at a fountain, wring it out and put it on. Cooling effect on hot days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2018
New Zealand
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I got a new hat, "A", and was all proud until my daughter said it was a "no". A very strong no. "B" is my trusty hat of 6 caminos. Please leave a vote. Thanks!
View attachment 104916
It looks as though A would give better shade. The sun isn't always right above you. A looks as though your ears would be more protected

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

William Garza

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2014
Corpus Christi,Texas
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I think a handsome worldly fellow would look trustworthy and reliable a companion as can be with hat A.
But thats coming from a hat biased person who has traveled among many hattters...

Some mad
Some sad
Some covered in oil from the fields
Some with patches from units in some foreign place and time
Some dusty
Some thread bare and faded and passed down from Dad or Mom
Some backwards
Sideways
Some with a ponytail out the back!😃

But new ones need breaking in
Bending the bill just right
Flat bill,brim..whatever on a baseball cap is...
Well anyway

The light color should provide that extra degree of coolness

But..new year
New road
New hat.

Buen Camino!!!

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I got a new hat, "A", and was all proud until my daughter said it was a "no". A very strong no. "B" is my trusty hat of 6 caminos. Please leave a vote. Thanks!
View attachment 104916
Personally, I think A looks better. But which works better on the Camino? That's for you to decide, probably on more than just looks.

Reactions: John Hawke
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Owensr23

Apr 23, 2016
Florida, USA
2016 CF
2018 CP
4/29/2022 Primitivo
“A”… and don’t worry about ponchó hood. I never put the hood over my hat. As you can see from my profile picture I believe in a wide brim for the shade. :)

The rain just pours off and I am cooler…temperature wise.
Your daughter may think “B” looks more like you. Who do you want to be on the Camino?

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Jul 14, 2017
Ontario, Canada
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Go for a walk with both of them with your pack on a hotter sunny day and see which one works best. Looks can be deceiving. It may look great but does it do the job. And when you are not wearing it how does it get stored or packed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

GuyA

Aug 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca
View attachment 104916
Too funny! I have 3 daughters…so I am a very lucky person however they would tell me that I don’t look good in anything.

Having heard their verdict I would simply pick what I feel good in…to be honest that would be B because it looks so much like my one and only Camino hat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
This one. You never know when you will be invited to be in a wedding party in Logrono or a formal ball at the palace in Madrid. This one flattens beautifully in the bottom of your pack.:)

Attachments

• istockphoto-1131015471-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-1131015471-612x612.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 33
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
This made me laugh out loud because I am certainly NOT a fashion queen on the Camino. In fact, I probably look silly, but for me, it's all about comfort. Sooooo... I'd go with the old faithful, simply because you know and love it. The first one IS quite attractive however. ::😁::

€149,-

Buena

Jul 16, 2021
usa
View attachment 104916
A-looks better, but B has been tested and proven to work. You may just need to a new one with a different color.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Arleene

Mar 19, 2021
Canada
View attachment 104916
A hat is a hat. Take which ever you like the best and functions the best. I have never judged anyone on the camino based on their hat or clothing style.

Reactions: SkyDancer

€46,-

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Jan 16, 2012
USA
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
View attachment 104916
A looks better to me but I wonder if it can be rolled up or stuck in a backpack when you don’t want to wear it…
Either would be a great choice

Dec 8, 2015
Flanders, Belgium, Europe
Via de la Plata (september - october 2016)
View attachment 104916
as long as you’re not wearing a baseball cap while not playing baseball…

A seems a bit too pointy for you, so I’ll go with B 🤠👮💂‍♀️🧑‍🌾🧙‍♂️

Buen camino!
Miguel

Reactions: Geoff Shepherd
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bend

Apr 7, 2019
London
Frances (2014/15)
Finisterre (2014)
Le Puy (2017/18)
Portugal (2019)
This one. You never know when you will be invited to be in a wedding party in Logrono or a formal ball at the palace in Madrid. This one flattens beautifully in the bottom of your pack.:)
Now that’s a hat!! Mine is an even more battered version of B which has happily accompanied me on 7 Caminos!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€149,-
Jul 23, 2017
Cami Sant Jaume (2017)
View attachment 104916
If the weather is hot and sunny, B will keep you cooler. A looks cooler, of course, but who cares?

Reactions: Traveller44
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I have an Australian military style slouch hat that I sometimes wear hiking (always brim down). It is my first choice to wear in rain or snow. I do wear it on hot sunny days. When new it looked more like choice A than B. After 40+ years it's looking more and more like choice B. I really considered taking it on my caminos but it would have been a day-to-day choice of whether to wear it and the care would have been a hassle when I wasn't wearing it.

TLDR: Go with B. (A looks better for style but for the camino it needs to be beat up more to look right.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Susan Maria

Jul 16, 2017
Le Puy to SJPDP over 2016-2019
Frances 2022
Sounds like I'm in the minority but I prefer B on you. However, could you get a new one in a slightly larger size? Plus, packable, drenchable, etc

I was just about to post my own hat question when I saw this entertaining thread, thanks everyone!

Reactions: trecile
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I was just about to post my own hat question when I saw this entertaining thread, thanks everyone!
I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining. Every reply has been either relevant or humorous, and there has been no wrong answer, whether choosing A or B, imo.

Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019

€46,-

JAL

Jul 22, 2014
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining. Every reply has been either relevant or humorous, and there has been no wrong answer, whether choosing A or B, imo.
I very much agree. The answers have been much more illuminating and thoughtful than I had anticipated. And much more evenly split then I thought they would be.

Reactions: William Garza
A selection of Camino Jewellery

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
However, could you get a new one in a slightly larger size?
Now you are talking! We need the OP to give us an option C, and I'm quite sure it would win!

The problem with A is that it is probably more expensive and it wouldn't be easy to pack, so he will lose it within days, unless he is a very experienced hat-wearer who would never walk off without it on his head.

I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining.
Me too. It is relevant to the camino and is a topic that is close to all of our hearts. It even evokes deep thoughts about self-identity, human vanity, father-daughter dynamics, true pilgrimage, weather and much more, not to mention functionality. And furthermore It doesn't mention the C-word!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

JAL

Jul 22, 2014
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
Now you are talking! We need the OP to give us an option C, and I'm quite sure it would win!

The problem with A is that it is probably more expensive and it wouldn't be easy to pack, so he will lose it within days, unless he is a very experienced hat-wearer who would never walk off without it on his head.

Me too. It is relevant to the camino and is a topic that is close to all of our hearts. It even evokes deep thoughts about self-identity, human vanity, father-daughter dynamics, true pilgrimage, weather and much more, not to mention functionality. And furthermore It doesn't mention the C-word!
Totally agree. Well said. This turned out to have a deeper quality to it than the surface question might suggest.
I think A looks better, but it is more important on the camino that it pack well. I think your daughter is just used to the rumpled you, and finds the smarter A to be out of character. Who do you WANT to be?
Very good observation.

F

Former member 49149

View attachment 104916
@JAL, I have to give my honest answer. It matters not an iota which looks better. You can't see it, point one, but you know which feels better! Please yourself, and this is said without a hint of insult or injury!

Reactions: trecile

Frank Wortley

May 24, 2018
French Caminos - April/May 2013, March/April 2017 and (Sept/Oct 2018)
View attachment 104916
I like hat B. But I also ask "Does it matter?" Surely it is what is under it yhat matters!

• Haha
Reactions: SkyDancer
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides