• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

woman alone on VdlP.

jozefien

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 camino frances
2014 via de la plata
In 2009 I walked the Camino Francès. Since then I have been thinking about walking back from Santiago to St. Jean PdP. But it seems to be very crowded. I would like to do the Via de la Plata instead. However my loving husband thinks it is safer on the Camino Francès. So I promised him to ask if experienced pilgrims on the VdlP can set his mind at ease. I would like to start from Sevilla 23 of 24 march 2014. My question: is it safe for a woman of 61 on the VdlP ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've walked it from Sevilla to Caceres and I'm 61.
I was never afraid.
The only time I was a little leery was this past year when thieves were targeting people right out of Sevilla.
But they apparently were caught -
I'd say just find someone to walk with the first stage out of the big city.
From there, I felt absolutely safe.

I was almost 65 when I started alone from Seville in April 2012 but met up with some pilgrims on the outskirts.
My two big fears were crossing the arroyos and big dogs. Luckily there had been a dry winter so no problem with the water and I faced my fear of dogs by not making eye contact and walking straight past an early morning pack.
No other safety issues on my walk and I would do it again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2009 I walked the Camino Francès. Since then I have been thinking about walking back from Santiago to St. Jean PdP. But it seems to be very crowded. I would like to do the Via de la Plata instead. However my loving husband thinks it is safer on the Camino Francès. So I promised him to ask if experienced pilgrims on the VdlP can set his mind at ease. I would like to start from Sevilla 23 of 24 march 2014. My question: is it safe for a woman of 61 on the VdlP ?
I walked the VDLP this autumn alone. Despite my Forum name I am a woman and am 66 years old. I was never afraid except for a worry about robbery on stage 1 ( now happily all is well because the perpetrators have been arrested). There was no problem with dogs. There are long lonely stretches but I never encountered any cause for fear. Do it! It is wonderful. However you need to be able to walk longish stages.

as mentioned by other pilgrims, it is safe for any women to walk the vdlp. the robbers out of gulleina were caught in camas, sevilla and so far i have not heard of any robberies committed in the province of sevilla. i am a man and walked the vdlp alone this past february. as also mentioned the biggest fears are in crossing the arroyos, especially in the winter months where some of the roads are inundated with water creating more arroyos and also the dogs. my experience with the dogs are not the big dogs, but especially the small dogs, they will sneak up on you and tried to bite you. it is a good idea to have handy a walking pole a or a walking stick picked up in the woods.

good luck on your planning. buen camino and god bless.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much. Now I can show my husband that he don't need to worry about me. I will walk for there weeks till Salamanca probably.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One more old lady checking in to echo the "go for it" sentiments. I have walked this route twice, always alone, and it is wonderful. If you are tied to late March, then so be it, but I personally would try to start in late April or May. Springtime in Andalucia and Extremadura is absolutely beautiful, and maybe a little less rain than March-April. But the weather is totally unpredictable, so you can't really rely on historical averages. Buen camino, Laurie

I agree with Laurie. I began in Zafra this year in May and it was absolutely beautiful! So many wildflowers and gorgeous sunrises.

Oh, Well maybe I can try to go later then but I really need to be back about half may. The reason I wanted to go early is my lessons and I have 2 weeks holiday then. The week before easter is semana santa, and then there will be a lot of people looking for a place to sleep.
And maybe the arroyos will have less water too a little later in spring.
Thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences.
I am so glad I found this forum ! All the stories I read make me even more looking forward to this pilgrimage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi

I will be leaving from SJPdP on 22nd March 2014 and will be walking alone.

Theresa

I'm a bit clueless on all the different routes but i know that i am walking the French way - st jean pied de port to Santiago.

Theresa

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a bit clueless on all the different routes but i know that i am walking the French way - st jean pied de port to Santiago.

Theresa

Hi Theresa.
VdlP (Via de la Plata) is the camino from Sevilla to Santiago. I walked alone on the Camino Frances and that was feeling very good: many people and many albergues and hostals. buon camino.
Jozefien.

In april and the first weeks of may. I had snow, rain, storm, sun, heat .... it was great. Some albergues were very cold and some turned on the heat till 25 degrees. On the forum you can read all kind of stories.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi.

I've walked various stretches of the VDLP five times, all but once alone. I was in my late 40s/early 50s when I did this and was never afraid other than a few run-ins with dogs. I hope to be there this year mid-March with one of my adult children, walking from just south of Salamanca north.

Melanie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the VDLP this autumn alone. Despite my Forum name I am a woman and am 66 years old. I was never afraid except for a worry about robbery on stage 1 ( now happily all is well because the perpetrators have been arrested). There was no problem with dogs. There are long lonely stretches but I never encountered any cause for fear. Do it! It is wonderful. However you need to be able to walk longish stages.
I am walking from 25 April and hope to finish on the 30 may do you think I have allowed myself enough time

Hello,
I am planning to arrive in Seville on the 23rd, spend a couple of days there before moving on to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre. Hope to be in Finisterre by 27th May although timing is flexible. Might see you on the way.
Keith.

Heading out on Monday to walk from Sevilla to Baños de Montemayor. Did this stretch in the heat of July in 2011 so I it should be quite a change.
Except for my short Camino this past December, I have always started off alone. Hope that there will be few pilgrims out there next week.

Buen Camino and happy preparations to the rest of you leaving in the spring!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is anyone leaving Seville around March 19? Will I be the only peregrina? I wonder!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Too bad Christine but I will be about a week ahead of you. I start off tomorrow from Sevilla.
Buen Camino to you!
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dogs on Vdlp: Yes there are a few loose, so bring a stick. It is not as on the CF. Some of them were big. But don't let it scare you: They didn't attack in any way. You will also experience angry dogs barking heavily at you beyond fences, but that's allright: They cannot get at you.
Most exciting experience: Walking through a flock of bulls on all sides of me: I didn't realize until I looked closer at them... But it worked out fine.

I have had a couple of the bull experiences as well, but Spanish friends keep insisting that there is a huge difference between a regular old male and a "toro bravo" (the ones that charge and are used in bull fights). No toro bravo runs freely on a camino, they say, for one thing they are way too valuable to be left to roam. And another of course is the liability that would attach to having a charging bull running after all those pilgrims in their red altus ponchos.

Though I've been a bit nervous walking through those little groups as they all turn their heads to focus their eyes on me, I've never had a bad experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hahaha! Interesting mental picture you just painted, Laurie! Pilgs in red ponchos running ahead of toros bravos....

I think the "bulls" are actually steers. Rarely are bulls kept in groups. Steers are much more docile.
It really is disconcerting on the VdlP to open a gate and find that you must walk through a hundred cows/steers, all standing in your way and staring at you.

I noticed that the old ladies and kids herding or minding cows on the roads usually just had a stick that they waved up and down slowly as they walked. Not at the cows.

I tried this with my walking stick when walking through the huge black bulls/steers with enormous horns. They just moved away from me and I was able to feel much less threatened.

I think the "bulls" are actually steers. Rarely are bulls kept in groups. Steers are much more docile.

Yes, grayland, that's what I meant to say, steers as opposed to bulls. But whatever they are, for us city folk it is kind of a challenge to just keep marching on through the large groups, especially when their eyes lock on your every move.

I will definitely try your suggestion about waving the stick while walking. Thanks for that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You all are braver than me. I dont think I could get up the courage to wave a stick at a critter bigger than me....I steer a wide path around them.:D

I am walking the Camino the french way this year . Will be in SJDP on the 19th of may. I am a 55yo woman. I am hoping to meet some other pilgrims on the way to walk with. ANybody starting from SJDP on the 20th of May 2014

I am walking the Camino the french way this year . Will be in SJDP on the 19th of may. I am a 55yo woman. I am hoping to meet some other pilgrims on the way to walk with. ANybody starting from SJDP on the 20th of May 2014
Hi Mary,
You have posted your message on the VDLP or the Via de la Plata thread. You will possibly find more help and information under one of the SJPDP threads, or have you tried the calendar. This can be visited under Camino Resources at the top of the page. Happy hunting.
Keith.

Yes, grayland, that's what I meant to say, steers as opposed to bulls. But whatever they are, for us city folk it is kind of a challenge to just keep marching on through the large groups, especially when their eyes lock on your every move.

I will definitely try your suggestion about waving the stick while walking. Thanks for that.
That unblinking gaze when their "eyes lock on your every move" is normal bovine behaviour. Docile milk cows would react in the same way.

Yes I will be starting out on the 25 April who else will be leaving around that time
Hi Marilyn,
I'll be leaving Seville on May 8th. I hope we get to meet up, I don't want to be the only pilgrim in the Albergue in the evenings. I'm 64 and doing my 5th Camino and grateful that I'm willing and able. I'll look out for you. Buen Camino

Hi Marilyn,
I'll be leaving Seville on May 8th. I hope we get to meet up, I don't want to be the only pilgrim in the Albergue in the evenings. I'm 64 and doing my 5th Camino and grateful that I'm willing and able. I'll look out for you. Buen Camino
Hi Angela well I do hope we can meet up along the way I too would not like to be the only one on that long road - well done on your 5th camino sure hope I get to do that many at least. I will be very excited just to get out of Sevilla at this stage - are you planning on going all the way to Santiago and what date do you think you will finish
Buen camino to you
Marilyn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marilyn,

Hi, Angela, You will find lots of pilgrims, don't worry -- April/May is "high season" on the Vdlp. LTfit even found company in February this year!

Hi, Angela, You will find lots of pilgrims, don't worry -- April/May is "high season" on the Vdlp. LTfit even found company in February this year!
Thanks for that info most info I find out is "be prepared to be the only pilgrim along this road" so now I am getting more and more excited for this wonderful camino
Buen camino
Marilyn

Thanks for that info most info I find out is "be prepared to be the only pilgrim along this road" so now I am getting more and more excited for this wonderful camino
Buen camino
Marilyn

Maybe what that comment means is that you can easily spend the day walking alone without running into others. If there is a small group (15-20??) who all wind up at the same place at the end of the day, that number easily spreads out during the next day over the kms you walk. But I am virtually certain you will find a good group at the albergues every night and from that group I'll bet you will develop a little "camino family" so you will have walking companionship if you want it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back