• Photos uploaded to the forum is the property of the person who took the photo. Please only upload photos that you own. To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.
  • Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • Buy any Camino Book and get 50% off any Camino Badge.
    Discount taken off at Check Out
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides
Isabel Janeira

Portomarin

View of Portomarin from the other side of the bridge
:

From the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Portomarín&oldid=712713762

The town of Portomarín was constructed and built next to a Roman bridge over the Minho River and rebuilt in the Middle Ages.

In the 1960s the Miño River was dammed to create the Belesar reservoir, putting the old village of Portomarín under water. The most historic buildings of the town were moved brick by brick and reconstructed in the new town, including its castle-style main church: Church of San Juan of Portomarín.

In the seasons when the dam is at low level, the remains of ancient buildings, the waterfront and the old bridge are still visible.

Crossing this bridge scared the Dickens out of me! I was soooo happy when I came to the end of it...only to be confronted by the STAirS!! But the town is friendly and beautiful!

Media information

Category
Camino Frances
Added by
Isabel Janeira
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device