• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino 13 Apr 15 -- The Roman Road vs. The Spanish Road

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
13 April 2015 -- Moratinos to Calzadilla -- No Idea -- Maybe 25 km

So got off to a late start this AM -- had breakfast at 0730 and then back to my room to chill and finally back to the restaurant to check out -- who is in the joint -- the Swedish ladies and the Canadian guys -- so chatted with them for a bit and then went outside to sit and tape the feet -- figured they were eating -- taping feet inside the cafe -- probably a foul --

So sitting outside and who do I see? KIM -- my Korean buddy who speaks no english -- so I yell out to him -- run over and shake hands and do a knuckle bump -- big smiles all the way around -- what a cool guy! -- He departs probably mumbling to himself -- can't seem to get rid of the crazy white guy in the red hat -- but the is beard cool ---

So set off walking to a wonderful morning -- sun is cresting -- weather comfortable -- just nice -- walking along and what do I see -- some dude laid out in the field on the side of the trail -- I am thinking -- pilgrim, yes-- alive ??? -- if I sneak by and he is not alive will I be in trouble? So I did what any Pilgrim would do in this situation -- kept on hiking -- found out later this dude does this all the time - only wish I would have taken a photo -- he looked pretty comfortable.

So the link up spot for my new Camino Family was a Bakery/Cafe in Sahagun - great place for a snack.

The big decision -- walk the Spanish road or the Romain Road -- did the Roman road -- I honestly think that regardless of the road -- it was a really a long 8 kms -- thank goodness for the ipod -- it was hot and sunny and I have a new respect for folks who do the Camino in the Summer -- less clothes -- but a lot more water consumption.

About 2 km from the objective there was a cool little picnic area -- so we all stopped and had a quick bite to eat (now when I said we all stopped, it was more like folks just floated in over time) -- bread, goat cheese, red wine, chorizo -- you get the drift -- a civilized get together with new friends --

So finally got into town and like always, first place I see -- I am there -- however my new group all went to a different location -- so after I got cleaned up - went slumming for my buddies and found them - and - kind of liked where I was staying --

So a couple of folks have asked about any reflection or why am I actually doing this adventure -- my answer is -- it is complicated -- today I actually identified a key point in my life that would have had a different outcome based on my decision at the time -- I am not going to lay that out on the internet -- at least not in details -- but I am sooooo good with how that one decision worked out -- would not change it for the world.

To date -- this has been a very emotional journey -- (one that you will not get from my blog) - and as you all have read -- a physical journey as well -- you will continue to hear about the physical punishments --but the emotional ones -- I will tend to keep those to myself -- probably a good thing, along with sunglasses.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Portuguese camino requires walking on parts of thr Via Roma 19. First impression....Rome had not done any man maintenance in 2000 years

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum