• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Alternatives to "Happy Birthday"--a brief distraction

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
A bit of fun, in a not-so-fun time--

I guess by now we've all heard that 2 rounds of "Happy Birthday" (or its equivalent--same tune--in other languages) sung to oneself is 20 seconds of the currrently recommended antiviral handwashing.

Well, a local British Columbia newspaper notes that a clever programmer has developed an app that lets you generate a hand-washing poster to the first 20 seconds of any song you like.

Here's the tool: https://washyourlyrics.com/

So--pick a song; any song--though I suspect the livelier ones work better. And for many non-English languages, you need to include diacritical marks, which basically are accents. (Check the box on the app.)

-------------

Here's my favourite Portuguese "new fado" singer, Carminho, with a wonderful Youtube video, "Saia Rodada":

And here's the poster generated from that: (It turns out that one verse is almost exactly 20 seconds!)

How do you like to wash your hands?

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum