• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

An ordinary extraordinary day in Leon

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I arrived in Villarente yesterday a little tired and footsore after a long-ish day. My first idea was to pass through Leon very quickly - cities are not "my thing". I'm very glad I changed my mind and opted for a short 13km day and a long rest in this fascinating town. All the more so because today Leon has a medieval fair complete with suckling pigs, giant paella, punk bagpipers, and camels in the street. I met the pipers in Burgos a few days ago Bizarre but fun. So after a gentle morning's walk and a truly excellent lunch I am now settling down to the challenge of completing the world's slowest pub crawl in a town beautifully suited to the task. For those who are busy micro-managing your next Camino please leave a little room to change your mind. It can be so worthwhile.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to check - did you buy one of the camels? Does riding a camel work in the same way as a horse in terms of getting your Credencial?

My first idea was to pass through Leon very quickly - cities are not "my thing". I'm very glad I changed my mind and opted for a short 13km day and a long rest in this fascinating town.

We did just that last August! Loved it. Made quite a change to have a short day.
Enjoy your evening

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm fairly sure the rules for granting a Compostela talk about pilgrimage on horse - camels are not included.

but elephants should be OK?

Turn up with an elephant and you'd have a serious bargaining chip if someone wants to quibble

Hannibal was really doing the Via Francigena but there was a bad misunderstanding due to language problems with the Pilgrims Bureau?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leon was one of my favourite cities. There wasn't a festival but I did hear a couple of pipers. (My father was in the 48th Highlanders). Bradypus you might know this, but my understanding is the 'Pipes' actually originated in middle East? Goat bags known as Gaitas?

I stayed 4 nights in Leon at the end of June due to a foot infection and had a blast there sightseeing, eating, drinking and just enjoying my camino experience. The cathedral and the pantheon were highlights for sure. Great place to heal!! Can't wait to do another camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum