• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

ATM Fees.UK Cards Spain

• Thread starter Former member 102963
  • Start date
F

Former member 102963

Hi folks. Old topic I know! Arrived in Valencia last night. Not been here for few months. Seems to be a few banks that have increased ATM fees for UK cards. Deutsche Bank still feeless (Monzo card) and apparently rate is good though I have to check this. Showing 1.15 on app. €7 is becoming the norm.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Santiago, the Santander hole in the wall wanted 7 euro's transaction charge on a Starling card. However, Abanka ?? (the local bank I think) wanted a more realistic 1.8 euros. It pays to try a few if you are not in a rush.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Santiago, the Santander hole in the wall wanted 7 euro's transaction charge on a Starling card. However, Abanka ?? (the local bank I think) wanted a more realistic 1.8 euros. It pays to try a few if you are not in a rush.
Agreed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I take it you know that if you have a Santander bank account you can withdraw cash using your debit card from a Santander ATM abroad for free and you will get a good exchange rate too.

My point is that if you are a UK cardholder DB is a good option to use as a ATM. Was that not clear!
Having never, in my nearly 60 years of visiting Spain, have I ever seen a branch of Deutsche Bank so I can understand @biarritzdon 's bemusement.
Apparently there are some branches dotted around the peninsular - probably not enough for most here to get excited about but thank you for pointing it out.

Deutsche Bank Branches in Spain

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wel I googled DB this morning and there was one within a mile so you need to widen your horizons!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My BNP/Paribas card treats me like a homey at every ATM I have ever used in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought the ATM fees were outrageous!!

My “Amex Black” entitles me to everything I’m entitled to. “Free” banking just means someone else is paying for those bonuses: or you’re paying for them on a different transaction.
Too true. Someone always pays somewhere.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @TravellingMan2022 . Thanks for starting this thread. I appreciate the warnings and information about ATM fees from you and the other posts. When €7 might get you a night in an albergue or a meal, that is a lot on money to spend on an ATM fee. All incredibly useful as I plan for my September Camino.

Thank you @Rita Flower . Appreciate you taking the time to post. Yes all saves a bit of time getting up to the moment info. Fees seem to be bouncing around at mo! I’m here for a couples of months so if anything changes will advise!

Apparently credit card 118 118 Money (https://www.118118money.com/credit-cards) offers no fees on spending or ATM withdrawals overseas & no interest on cash withdrawals if paid IN FULL. Otherwise 34% rep APR if not paid in full. Check out their website

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum