• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bedbugs in Saugues

Felice

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
So we woke up in the morning, pushed back the blankets - and found a bedbug. Another under my pillow. Great. We told Madame, who told us to go to the chemist for some cream for bites and a spray for the backpack and to wash our clothes. And effectively turned us out.

We went to the dry cleaners in the centre of the town, who basically did not want to know. Can't say I blame her.

Thankfully, when the kind lady in the Tourist Info rang Le Sauvage, they were still OK with us coming, providing we washed everything on arrival, which we did.

After all the trauma of sorting ourselves out, I felt really angry at Madame's reaction. The more I thought about it, the more I suspect she knew she had bedbugs and she still rented out her rooms. And she offered no help at all.

What would others have done? Insisted she washed our stuff for us (we would gladly have paid)? No wonder there is a bedbug problem on the Le Puy route if Madame is typical, rather than the helpful people in Le Sauvage (which is an unusual place anyway).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which Gite was this?

I have not named and shamed as I believe that bedbugs are a problem in more than 1 gîte in that town. We met 2 more people who had stayed in Saugues and got bitten, but they did not stay at the same place as us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
By all means name the offender. Saugues has long had a reputation as one of the scruffier towns on the Via Podiensis, and that applies to at least one of its two hotels.

Most read last week in this forum